Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GC using cracks to demo products!

Soundscape Studios.

http://forum.nuendo.com/forum/Forum12/HTML/001074.html

That's just incomprehensible!

On a real side note - I was speaking to a buddy of mine who knows a guy who worked for Steinberg and still has ties, and told me something crAzy-

That Digi is buying Steinberg!

I, for one don't belive it for a second - it just wouldn't make any sense. But I just wanted to see if any one else heard something like that floating around.

I woldn't dare post this on the Nuendo boards!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I have also seen this phenomenon, it is atypical and certainly not anything resembling accepted policy, written or unwritten, at Guitar Center or anywhere else. (I've actually seen it more at other stores).

The thing that the managers have to understand is the potentially devastating consequences. One call to the BSA by a disgruntled ex-employee, customer, or present employee could easily result in hefty fines. I've seen it happen on a much larger scale.

Despite the fact that I think this type of thing is simply a bad idea and bad business, I cannot put 100% of the blame on the dozens or hundreds of software salespeople that do this. I cannot tell you how many times, back in the stone ages when I sold keys, that I had to describe the difference between Vision and Performer by drawing on the back of a notebook because the reps dropped the ball and never sent me the NFR copies. And what that did was affect my sales figures and lowered my ROI per customer. Not cool. I do not in any way condone warez, especially in a music store (for gods' sake), but reps need to get into the stores more regularly. Hell, Coca Cola sends someone into every supermarket every three days to make sure their product is presentable and prominent.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by Soundscape Studios.:

http://forum.nuendo.com/forum/Forum12/HTML/001074.html

On a real side note - I was speaking to a buddy of mine who knows a guy who worked for Steinberg and still has ties, and told me something crAzy-

That Digi is buying Steinberg!

I, for one don't belive it for a second - it just wouldn't make any sense. But I just wanted to see if any one else heard something like that floating around.

I woldn't dare post this on the Nuendo boards!

This was already discussed HERE . It's false... i hope so ;) .

Zeronyne's absolutely right about NFR's never arriving in a timely fashion. I review software for a mag and contact the software companies months ahead sometimes, and STILL don't receive an NFR in a timely fashion. In my experience Steinberg are a key culprit.

Originally posted by steadyb:

Bryce Sells Adams???

This is the one. :D

This is the BSA\'s questionnaire.

I worked in a corporate travel agency (100 agents) in the early 90s when FBI and Treasury Department agents, along with a member of the BSA, walked into our office and asked all of us to step away from our desks. 8 hours later, the owner was hit with $50,000 in fines for unauthorized copies of Word, Excel, Citrix, and Photoshop.

Five years ago, I watched an Enron-type startup go out of business for the same reason...their fines topped 200,000. Their entire enterprise was based on proprietary cracked software. My company had actually written a confidential whitepaper warning them about the consequences, and they laughed at us.

"For instance" is not proof.

Man, there sure are a lot of AFAs (Atypical Forum Acronyms) in this thread! :P

Okay, so I already knew that GC stands for for Guitar Center and now zeronyne has revealed that BSA is an acronym for Business Software Alliance. I'm guessing that NFR is an acronym for Not For Resale and that ROI stands for Return on Investment. Is that correct?

JTTFA. (Just trying to follow along.) ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived