Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Foreigner

Ok I need a little help and I'm hopping one of you pro's can help me. I'm a guitar player and I'm putting together some sequences for a cover gig, and I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to get "Feels like the first time" dialed with the arpegiator in the tune. Again, I'm a guitar player so there's the downside. Which synth was used and if possible, how would one go about recreating that sound.

If there's a better forum for this type of thing, please feel free to tell me where to go. But if anyone could help me with this, it would be fantastic.

I have a few soft synths Pro-53 by NI and a few others. Any help again would be great.

Thanks

Keith

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That tune dates from about 1976 or so. No "magic fingers" were available at the time, so it was played the old-fashioned way.

What part(s) in the song are you talking about?

What arpeggiator are you talking about?

I would think you could easily find a MIDI file (*.mid) of this tune on the Internet. Download it and tweak it to your liking.

I appreciate all of your comments. And it's for the reason I posted that question here. I just don't know a keyboard player to help me with this. I know it's an arpeggiator but lord knows I don't know too much about them. I will use the info here and try to get it started and in regards to the person that asked which part, I was talking about the very intro part not the b3 parts the very beginning the thing that really makes the song cruise from the beginning.

Thanks guys and any additional info would be great.

Again since I'm a guitar player that only hacks on piano (but trying) and am the one thats creating these sequences (and thats an experience) I hope I don't offend or annoy anyone should I have another question about a sound or a sound source. It seems thats the toughest part of getting these sequences together.

Thanks again

Keith

It's the sounds, I have the NI Pro-53 and I can get close but it's tough, is there a place where people discuss sounds like us guitar players discuss tone?

I do own a piano if it's any consolation, 7'8" grand.

Keith

P.S. Dick Grove used to give me a hard time about being a guitar player that it kinda stuck.

Hmm..well, I don't have the Pro-53, but try setting it to mono mode (if that's possible). I don't know if it can be set to mono now that I'm thinking of it. It might only offer unison (which won't give the same sound). If that's the case, leave it in poly mode.

Next, try setting one oscillator to a pulse wave, the other to a saw wave. Or you can try various combinations since I think more than one waveform can be selected for each oscillator. Make sure though that on the pulse wave that you keep it near "square". In other words, you don't want that narrow pulse wave sound, which sounds very thin like an oboe. Set the oscillators to an octave apart. Dial in maximum sustain and minimal attack and release on both envelopes (decay won't matter with full sustain). Set the filter cutoff low, and the envelope amount to match the overall brightness of the sound in the song. Don't use any glide, noise, or poly-mod settings.

Try multitracking this patch you made a couple of times, playing the octave/fifth/octave repeating pattern. Try panning each recorded pass to a different stereo location, and record each pass to where one does not match the other - in other words, when one track is playing the low octave, have the other playing the fifth. Two or three tracks of this will probably get you in the ballpark, more overdubs will sound monsterous. :)

Then again, I haven't heard this song in quite a while, so I could be barking up the wrong tree in all this too.. :D

Hey that was a very informative reply thanks Ody, I really appreciate it. Gives me some info on how to oscillate so to speak. Yeah I never really do any synthing and it's daunting really. Not very microsoftesque where it does everything for you.

Synthesis is just something I've always wanted to get involved with and just never have. Thanks again.

Keith

Originally posted by Keith Shapiro:

It's the sounds, I have the NI Pro-53 and I can get close but it's tough, is there a place where people discuss sounds like us guitar players discuss tone?

I do own a piano if it's any consolation, 7'8" grand.

Keith

P.S. Dick Grove used to give me a hard time about being a guitar player that it kinda stuck.

Keith, that's what we live for around here! :D Although if you look at the threads I guess we talk about a lot of other stuff too. Of course when you play keys, you can be a little more multi-faceted like that. ;) (OK, so we like to gently rib our guitar-player friends, too. So sue me.) :wave:

I'd chime in on your question, but I'm a total newbie with synth sounds myself. Post a B3 clone question and I'll talk your ear off.

Welcome to the Corner.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Archived