Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOTU strikes back with DP 4.5

Jeebus

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you use a Griffin gPort or a Stealthport serial adapter in your G4 Mac, then beware. There is a confirmed problem if you record much external MIDI through it. On recording a dense MIDI track, like a real time piano part, or maybe a sysex dump, your file becomes corrupted in memory without any indication. If you save the file to disk, you cannot open it. You get an error=103 message. The audio data is still fine. You can rebuild the audio into a new file, but your MIDI stuff is toast. This problem does not happen with USB interfaces. Just FYI.

Gregg

Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietzche

QSC K10, Kurz PC3, K2500x, K2000R, Korg Z1, Roland A80, Roland S-750, 1970 MiniMoog, Synthi AKS, bunch of old rack modules.

Originally posted by ABECK:

Originally posted by peake(at)pacificnet(dot)net:

I'm sticking with 3.x and OS 9.2 for now. It works, know what I mean?

Same here - it does what I need it to do. :thu:
Get this - I was at Danny Elfman's studio a few months ago. He's still using DP 2.72!!!

I'm a 4.12 guy myself... :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by robmix:

It sure does. I'm going to make one last attempt at Logic with the new upgrade but if I get one headache I'll be doing a competetive cross-grade to DP.

Could you elaborate on those headaches pls? I myself am at a crossroad with these two upgrades.
Raul

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If it's not sacrilege to mention this on the MP boards ( :D ), this month's Sound on Sound has a good review on DP 4.5 as well. Generally positive, with some complaints about integration with PT.

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Originally posted by Red Winger:

If it's not sacrilege to mention this on the MP boards ( :D ), this month's Sound on Sound has a good review on DP 4.5 as well. Generally positive, with some complaints about integration with PT.--Mark

Such as? Problems with OMF like Logic?

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Here's the section from the on-line review:

Digital Performer has long been known as an alternative 'front end' application for users of Digidesign Pro Tools hardware, and with version 4.5 MOTU promised greater functionality than ever before for DP running under DAE rather than MAS. Features include plug-in automation and latency compensation, instrument track support, compatibility with RTAS and Audiosuite plug-in formats, mono and stereo sends and send automation, and a whole host of other smaller enhancements.

I was able to test out DP 4.5 with an up-to-date Pro Tools system at Studio Spec in West London, and whilst it proved to be a useable combination, some aspects didn't work as well as I'd expected. For example, whilst TDM and RTAS plug-in hosting seemed very reliable, DP didn't categorise plug-ins into types in the way that Pro Tools 6 does, so insert slot plug-in lists were often unmanageably long. Strangely, too, only TDM instruments can be accommodated in DP Instrument tracks; RTAS instruments have to go in audio tracks. A more serious problem is the absence of surround support under DAE it was possible to create surround output bundles, but they could never be configured. And despite what is written in the DP 4.5 manual, the automation modes Trim Touch and Trim Latch are not available.

MOTU are aware of these problems, and I imagine fixes are in the pipeline, but there are no promises yet as to when or even if they will happen. In the meantime DP 4.5 is quite capable of handling complex work under DAE, but not with the same level of refinement as is delivered with MAS.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

If it's not sacrilege to mention this on the MP boards ( :D ), this month's Sound on Sound has a good review on DP 4.5 as well. Generally positive, with some complaints about integration with PT.--Mark

I didn't see any real complaints about PT integration in the review. THey did spend time talking about using it with TDM hardware, but as is the case with many of these reviews, it doesn't look like they actually tested it out.

I've been hoping to find an alternative front-end to PT for composing. I tried DP a long time ago and it was a disaster. LP 7.0 still has too many issues. I'm finally upgrading to DP 4.5 to see if it's usable and stable on top of TDM hardware.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

I didn't see any real complaints about PT integration in the review. THey did spend time talking about using it with TDM hardware, but as is the case with many of these reviews, it doesn't look like they actually tested it out.

I've been hoping to find an alternative front-end to PT for composing. I tried DP a long time ago and it was a disaster. LP 7.0 still has too many issues. I'm finally upgrading to DP 4.5 to see if it's usable and stable on top of TDM hardware.

Busch.

Sorry I as looking at the Keyboard review of DP 4.5 (they both have red covers). In the SOS review they did test it on a TDM system and found it reilable, but with some issues.

Busch.

Archived