Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

electro software updates

daBowsa

I really want an Electro 73 - but I really want to MIDI a lower board to it for EP's while the Electro plays organ on top at the same time.

Do you guys think this is a feature that will be released as a software upgrade? Do you think its even possible to change this much functionality via software alone? If not, do you think Nord plans to release a version of the Electro that has this ability once stock gets low enough on the current one?

And lastly, does anyone know if the rack unit has this multi-timbral feature? I've never heard anyone mention it, so I don't think it does.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By multi-timbral, I'm guessing you mean organ and piano at the same time. I don't believe it's possible to do this with a software update.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for such a change either, but who knows?

The rack works the same as the keyboards.

There are a lot of us NE owners and potential customers seeking similar upgrades & enhanced features.

I'm not sure if this can be done with an OS upgrade, but the service tech where I bought mine says there's adequate room for more hardware under the hood and since he is in close contact with the company, he wouldn't put it past Clavia to consider going that route eventually. That's encouraging.

Judging by the commitment they seem to have, and having addressed at least some customer requests by resampling the piano and programming adjustable velocity into the last upgrade, I'm probably more hopeful that Steve - but who really knows?

You could try emailing Clavia support. They won't tip their hand, but they're responsive. It's my experience they answer general inquiries within a couple of days.

Here for the gear.

Ben,

I doubt Clavia will make the Electro multi-timbral in its current format. It would be difficult to do within the current UI and have it make sense. For example, setting up splits, layers, zones, etc. The rack is not multi-timbral, either (except for the organ, which is 2 channel on both the keyboard and the rack).

My hope is that Clavia does a Nord Electro 3, with real drawbars, multi-timbral features, LCD display, etc. Or the killer would be some hybrid of the Electro and the Lead.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

My hope is that Clavia does a Nord Electro 3, with real drawbars, multi-timbral features, LCD display, etc. Or the killer would be some hybrid of the Electro and the Lead.

Regards,

Eric

Oh, man ... is it RIGHT for me to have such gear lust for something that doesn't exist??? Eric, thanks a lot, man ... :D

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

• 5 months later...

Hey Eric or whoever :wave:

I was playing an Electro with the OS2.1X and on the sticker which listed the OS updates it included 'key release samples' or something - which i excitedly assumed were the release sounds which the Electro clav has always lacked. But on playing it I couldn't here'em, or find any way of turning this on.

So i figure my assumption was incorrect, but I can't find release samples on ANY Electro sounds.

So what the hell was the sticker talking about? :confused: It got me all worked up! Or have I missed something?

Cheers all...

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

JJJ - I really don't know what the heck they are talking about there. I have not officially "studied" the Electro sounds close enough to know if they really included "key release samples" or whatever.

All I know is that it sounds GREAT to me and I love the Electro.

Regards,

Eric

-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------

Ηey Eric, I had a similar dream once! A double manual Electro-Lead with real drawbars, LCD, multi timbral and all. I would sell anything at once... But i'm affraid that will remain just a dream...

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all, more electro-related questions...

I was toootally excited to finally score an Electro 2 seventy-three, wheeee! Would've set up a thread congratulating myself but half the people here already have one anyway :D

So i usb'ed it up to my PC and ran the Tool, it recognized the sounds and stuff, i got rid of the heinous electric grand and was replacing it with the Rhodes 3 (i think that's the shallow one...) when SUDDENLY EVERYTHING WENT HORRIBLY WRONG!!!!

Well, I got an error message. Tried it again, same result. Reloaded the tool, reloaded the board, reloaded the computer, wouldn't work!

Could it be that i have the wrong type of USB cable? I know the manual specifies 1:1 or something; i don't know what this means or what type the one i was using is. I mean, if that was the case, would it have let me delete the old patch?

Cheers for any thoughts! :thu:

JJJ

Originally posted by JJJ:

Well, I got an error message. Tried it again, same result. Reloaded the tool, reloaded the board, reloaded the computer, wouldn't work!

I have not had this problem before, though I have read about it on the Yahoo Electro forum. I suggest you go there, join up and post your question. There is a wealth of very specific information and lots of real world experience to leverage. I wish I could help you on this one!

Yahoo - Nord Electro Forum

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by JimmyJimJim:

Wait, something just occured to me... could it be that i was so stupid that i misread the label which actually said 'with new release samples...'?!?!?! :o:freak:

I'm a retard and now i've gotta check it out... :D

Doesn't a real Clavinet have a little "doyt" sound when you release a key? Maybe that's what they're talking about (I'm not in front of my Electro right now or I'd see...).

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Yeah Botch, that was the sound I was hoping they'd included as a new upgrade, but sadly I'm pretty sure they haven't. I just reckon that 'little doyt' makes it sound way more organic, and I'm kinda surprised that such an ass-kicking board doesn't put it in while my crappier Roland and Kurz clavs do! Some people seem to think it's virtually inaudible, but just listen to something classic like Superstition and it's pretty obvious.

Blah, still can't get the USB thing to work, Eric my puter went a bit mental when I tried to sign up with the Yahoo group, cheers for the advice though.

I just wanna sound like Chick Corea! Is that really too much to ask... :D

The only reason a real clav would go "doyt" on release is that the rubber hammers are grooved and worn out. It's real annoying. Whenever mine started to "doyt", I replaced the hammers!

Not a sound I would want emulated on the Electro at all.

Moe

---

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

The only reason a real clav would go "doyt" on release is that the rubber hammers are grooved and worn out. It's real annoying. Whenever mine started to "doyt", I replaced the hammers!

Not a sound I would want emulated on the Electro at all.

Well, they emulate leakage, key click, foldback and all the other "faults" of the Hammond, why not the "doyt"? :D

I agree with you though, I programmed out that artifact on my EX-5 clav patches...

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Hmm, i've never owned a real clav but I guess you're right. It's probably just that in my brain I equate the 'fault' with sounding organic and just real! But they would have to be done well and subtly - some of the Roland ones are kinda heinous.

Anyway, what Botch said...

Archived