Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rompler Recommendation

hermanjoe

I am looking for a rompler that has great strings, synth sounds, brass and organ capabilities. I would like something with drawbars or a dsp dedicated to organ but that has other standard rompler sounds. An option I thought of would be to get a rompler and then a roland VK-8M MODULE. Other specifications are, 61 keys preferably, and sampling is not nessasary. Any thoughts

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't find all of this in one package with drawbars, except the Roland V-Combo. I would not classify it as super terrific on the non-organ sounds. It can use the SRX expansion boards for a variety of sounds, but the user interface for getting at these sounds is not so great and the editing flexibility is not like that on a regular Rompler/synth.

If you wanted a little of both, go with something like a Motif Rack and an Electro, or a Fantom XR rack and a Roland VK8m. Or you may consider stepping up to the ES6 along with a dedicated drawbar unit, like the VK8m or Voce V5. Actually, the organ sounds in the Motif series are not too bad. You could consider a classic Motif 6 as well.

Regards,

Eric

Eric,

I like the organs on korg stuff as well. I find I gravitate towards their sounds. I know there are sample libraries of b-3 sounds you can load into the motif. That would be cool. But I think the electro sounds better because I can choose the drawbars I want to pull. One think with using an electro and a rack is patch changing. I really need to have it all right in front of me. I really think a rompler and VK-8M combo would be good.

-Charlie Parker

Originally posted by bat63:

Check this out:

http://www.ke-musik.dk/Upload/HtmlArticles/Article1284/RolandEXRKE_musik.mp3

I don't know about drawbars,but this is a 12 meg DL from a Danish Website.I heard some pretty convincing organs on there,but,*you* will have to decide that for yourself

Roland EXR-3 $495 From Sweetwater

And no,I do not work for these chaps...

This is the tenth time you've posted this link in this forum in the last ten days...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Hermanjoe, I believe the eight sliders on the Kurzweil 2661 can be used as drawbars in KB3 mode. It's also the only rompler with a built-in modeling organ simulator... Not to speak of the other thousands of features. :)

How Does KB3 mode stand up against something like a VK-8M? I was even thinking of a triton classic or motif 6 with the VK-8M. But I guess the Kurz 2661 makes sence as well.

-Charlie Parker

Originally posted by hermanjoe:

How Does KB3 mode stand up against something like a VK-8M? I was even thinking of a triton classic or motif 6 with the VK-8M. But I guess the Kurz 2661 makes sence as well.

In my opinion, KB3 mode doesn't sound as good as an Electro or NI B4 (sorry, I never played a VK-8M), but it's a *lot* better than any sampled Hammond on any Rompler. As a clean Hammond, jazz or gospel style, I like it a lot. The distorted sounds, however, tend to become harsh too soon. Of course, if you buy the Kurz, you'll be blessed with the KDFX effects too, so you can mangle your sounds beyond limits.

Edit - almost forgot: With the addition of the Vintage ROM card, you can have some of the best electric pianos around too.

Marino,

Thanks, I'll definatley consider the K2661. I recently bought a PC2X and was unimpressed with the quality, espeacially the feel of the keys. The sounds didn't seem as good as I remembered from when I auditioned it. I honestly think my Promega 3 smokes it for my needs. Anyway, I guess my choices would be the K2661, or another rompler with a drawbar module, or an electro with a rompler module. Thing is, I would like all the controls in front of me. Roland makes a mount for the VK-8M that you can put on your keyboard stand so it's right there, vs. something being stuck in a rack 5 feet away.

So I have:

Electro + some rompler module or

Kurz K2661 or

Roland VK-8M and a rompler

I would love all your opinions.

Thanks again,

Tom

-Charlie Parker

Kurzweil k2661 is what you searching for.It has great orchestral sounds,b3 mode with slider control,,and lots of other features.Somebody who reviewed this keyboard(or his biger brothers-but they are the same except the number of keys and ribbon controler)

@

www.zzounds.com

compared it to Triton studio and said the Triton sounds very poor compared to Kurzweil.In mather of fact,nothing compares with Kurzweil and VAST architecture-maybe the new MOTIF ES

Herman Joe.... I've been reading your threads about the boards your considering to replace or update your current rig. My question is....what's the most important thing you're trying to do? You've been considering romplers as your main board and then a B3 simulator to go with it. What about the action? If you're an organ player that plays synth, the a waterfall keyboard would probably be what your use too. If you're really a synth player that uses a lot of organ sounds, then the kind of KB you are use too would be different than a traditional organ keyboard. I'm curious, where does the keyboard action fit into your plan? :confused:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Mike,

For what I'm talking about I am mainly looking into a synth that has great organ tones, but I also play a lot of strings and horns ect. Synth action will be fine for my needs. I actually own a Korg CX-3 for pure organ stuff. But i don't want to bring 3 boards to this gig. I am more concerned for the sound of the organ than the action(waterfall keys) in this instance. I have also found the action on my Korg kind of stiff recently and I may audition some other stuff to see if its better. I like lighter actions for organ and synth. I have played B-3 and the action was always pretty light to my hands.

-Charlie Parker

Can someone splain the difference between synth action and waterfall keys? I think I read above that organs have waterfall keys? These are both non-weighted are they not? Or are they the same and I'm just confused once again?

I'm in the same boat, sort of, and am revising the rig. I have an xk3 on the way and would like a piano sound upgrade, and especially a rhodes upgrade. I like the pc2x, pc1x, pc2 rhodes and piano sounds, but am open even to a nord electro (61 or 73 -76 whichever). I can stand almost any piano sound, but really want a good solid rhodes.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Yamaha rhodes get my vote for the greatest variety of sounds. The new ES 8 has about 20 "classic" sounding rhodes, and many others, Not to mention a good piano sound, which can be added upon.

I also like the GEM Promega 3. I have referenced this board a lot. Many forum people know I own one, and I really like it. It's very authentic in the rhodes and Piano department. The touch is lighter than yamaha, but its also a high quality keybed. It doesn't feel cheap and is very playable. There is a stereo Steinway sample which I love, and Rhodes sound 1 and 2 are also great. The reason I opted for this board over the ES8 was for its layout. With the GEM its very easy to layer sounds, add effects, EQ, because of the design its all right in front of you. I like it simple. It also has a very visual 8 band eq which is very good. The effects are also good. You kind of feel like your playing a vintage instrument with the promega. The ES8 is fantastic and its a different thing, more versatile in my opinion, more expandable ect. If I didn't have my Promega, I'd buy a yamaha, and still might one day.

Tom

-Charlie Parker

Reply to Immordino: Waterfall keys refer to the actual shape of the keys. On a B3, they said they were "square" shaped, but if I recall from my B3, the were just slightly rounded on each corner. The reason for this is that organ players like to do palm slide glissandos and slide up to a high note (for example). With the shape of the original B series Hammonds, you could do that without tearing up your hand, bloodying the keys, and do it smoothly. Supposedly, the Hammond XK-3 that just came out has the same shaped keys. As far as weighted or non weighted, that depends on the manf. You can still have waterfall shaped keys and not have weighted keys. The B3 had the best organ keyboard I ever played. To bad I had to sell it when I moved about 20 years ago. :cry:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Excuse me for hoggin' this thread, I forgot some other things I wanted to post....Tom (Hermanjoe), did you bring your CX-3 in for service to see if the keys can be cleaned and lubricated? I had a CX-3 YEARS ago, and used it to play gigs when I got tired of hauling around a Hammond, and although the KB wasn't as good as the B3, it was still pretty nice. Considering how inexpensive it was, I really liked that organ, and so did my back. The reason I mention getting it serviced is that I found someone I trust to service my Prophet V and told him that the upper keys are stiff and he mentioned some kind of lubricant he uses and told me that he would clean them, check them for wear, and lubricate them. Its worth checking into. Service is still cheaper than replacing.

Hey Daviel, I would really like some feedback on the new Hammond XK3 when you get it. I checked out Hammond's site and it looks DAMN impressive. I like the idea that you can split the keyboard where ever you want and the drawbars are always active on the lower split as well as the upper split, and a separate set of drawbars for both, nice. Lets face it, for most rock and some jazz stuff, you really don't need a second manual. I'll be waiting to hear your review on it. Where did you buy it? :confused:

Mike T.

I have the xk3 on order with a local guy at Young Music Company, Garland, Texas, who is a Hammond dealer. He swears up and down it's shipped. All I have to do is pay for it when it arrives. I guess I need to find out how much it will be! However much it is, I'm buying. I will give you a full report of the first test drive.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Thanks Mike.

I'm still a little confused which shape is which. My Promega 3 has square keys, but the corners are slightly rounded, however my grandparent's Steinway actually has a notch taken off of each corner of each side of the key and then is rounded. Would the former shape on my Promega 3 be considered Waterfall keys? If either the Steinway or the Promega are, does the other shape have a name, or is waterfall the only shape anyone cared to take the time and name?

The picture I posted is too big, I may have to remove it soon.Immordino, check the link for my compact keyboard rig. The first picture on page 3 is of a square-front or waterfall keyboard(top keyboard). If you look at an ordinary piano keyboard, the keys have a little tip sticking out(keyboard on the bottom).

Mike,

I have never serviced my CX-3. It's only a year old and I figure wha I got is what I got. I just think Korg made the action a little stiff compared to an organ. I had tendinitis last year so I like good and really smooth action.

-Charlie Parker

I almost forgot...I don't think organ action on my CX-3 can transmit velocity. That would be bad for strings and horns ect.

I'll check it out, but I'm pretty sure.

Nope, it doesn't\ - too bad - much as I love my Electro, I believe if the CX-3 had v-sens I would have used it as a controller for the ME-1 module - then I would have had KILLER organ, a triple-strike Kurz piano and a host of vintage keyboards too.

I think I'd asked eons ago about the XK-3 having - or at least transmitting - velocity messages, but the Hammond had just come out and there wasn't much discussion.

Anybody know?

Thanks!

Here for the gear.

Due to the sound of the organ and organ clones trying to be authentic, they can't transmit velocity. Most organ samples are at one velocity as well. You have to use the volume pedal or pull different drawbars to change the volume. Too bad though. We want, but can't have it all. Thats way I'm thinking of going the rompler route, so I can play strings expressivley yet still have a good organ sound.

-Charlie Parker

Hey Guys, speaking of key types, here's a cute one. Some years ago, I had an old Becker Brothers upright piano that I bought for $30.00 from a lady that was moving and didn't play it anymore. The keys were pretty worn, so I had a really good piano tech put new keytops on it, as well as repair the action, put new felts on the hammers in the middle of the keyboard, and tune it. When he opened his parts case, he asked me "What kind of keytops do you prefer, Steinway or Yamaha?" The Steinway keytops had a slightly more pronounced cutout on the keytop than the Yamaha keytops. Of course I didn't know that until he showed me the difference. Keep in mind that these were generic replacement parts, not made by either Steinway or Yamaha. But he was right on about the different shapes. I chose the Yamaha keytops because that was what I was use too. (I was using an Electric Grand for gigs at the time). He repaired that piano for about $70.00 or so and I used it daily for almost 15 years. That was the best $100.00 I ever spent on a piano. :D

Tom (Hermanjoe). It still might be worth having your Korg KB action checked. I realize that the Korg is not going to be as sweet as a B3 KB, its a LOT cheaper than any Hammond. I don't know if you leave your gear uncovered, stuck in a flight case in the truck when you're not playing, what environment you live in (damp/dry), but DIRT is the biggest enemy of any KB. Getting it cleaned and lubricated certainly won't hurt. ;)

Mike T. :wave:

Due to the sound of the organ and organ clones trying to be authentic, they can't transmit velocity. Most organ samples are at one velocity as well. You have to use the volume pedal or pull different drawbars to change the volume. Too bad though. We want, but can't have it all. Thats way I'm thinking of going the rompler route, so I can play strings expressivley yet still have a good organ sound.

Then what does Hammond mean when they describe their keyboard as having velocity? It's on the XB-3 specs. :confused:

http://users.belgacombusiness.net/hammond/xk-3.htm

Here for the gear.

Yeah, my CX-3 doesn't transmit velocity. I guess from reading that link the XK-3 does. I don't know how that affects the sound of the organ. Most organs I've heard have been one velocity.

-Charlie Parker

Archived