Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on the KP200s

Rockitman

Aw gee. It's only 55 pounds I'm told.

Some of you keyboardists need to hit the gym!

Thanks also for that info on the EONS. Glad to here that is a workable addition to this amp.

(Already saving my pennies!!) Which model EONS do you have?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah - the KP-200s is a little bulky and weighs something like 55 pounds... that's actually a little less than a pair of powered EON G2 10's weigh yet the KP-200s seems heavier so it isn't the easiest thing to carry. Still, it's better to carry than something like a Peavey KB-300 by far. I don't like mounted casters - I just use a small hand truck.

BTW: I also own the smaller KP-100s as well, which weighs about 37 pounds and is much easier to tote than the KP-200s. But there's a world of difference in sound quality between the KP-200s and the KP-100s - the KP-100s does not have the same bass response at all. It sounds good but I think the KP-200s sounds better because of it's larger speakers. I've heard of people swapping out the woofers in the KP-100s and improving the bass response but adding more weight in the process, which kinda defeats the purpose IMHO. None the less, the KP-100s gets a lot of use in small intimate dinner-music gigs that I play precisely because it does not have a lot of power and bass. Using the KP-100s I've taken gigs from other players who tried using heavier amps with large woofers at low volume (bass can transmit through the walls and floors so even when you play quietly if the amp is sitting on the floor it'll turn the room into a bass transducer).

So that's what my gear closet looks like: a KP-100s for small rooms, a KP-200s for midsize rooms and/or band sit-ins, and the KP-200s plus powered EONS for large/outdoor gigs.

Originally posted by Rockitman:

Aw gee. It's only 55 pounds I'm told.

Some of you keyboardists need to hit the gym!

Hah, that's what I keep telling myself with regards to my keyboard. But hey, if you love your stuff, weight's not really an issue. ..at least not til the novelty wears off..

BTW, Rockitman, I never thanked you for being such a gentleman yesterday. So, uh, thankyou! It was nice being let off the hook.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

FWIW, I just recently purchased a KP-200S and a Pro 145 from Motion Sound. IMO, they are both absolutely WONDERFUL pieces of gear.

I have the KP-200S on a tilt-back stand ( Quiklok MI BS317 ). It fits nicely and gets the KP-200S up off the ground and tilted at about the right angle (per Motion Sound's recommendations).

I had a jam sesh with my son (drums) and his pals (guitars/trumpet) last evening. I ran my Motif 7 through it in stereo. Loved it. The sound is pretty darned good for such a neat compact unit, and the stereo enhancement circuitry seems to do a nice job (if you don't crank it up too far).

Summary - so far, I'm very happy with my KP-200S. YMMV. :)

Cheers,

:DTR

Another quick question for you KP200S owners.

Mine is still in shipping but have noticed that it has a subwoofer 1/4 inch line input.

I have a big powered JBL subwoofer that is hooked into my home audio system. His jacks are RCA's. Can I utilize this subwoofer on the KP200S? Would I just need a 1/4 inch to RCA cable to do this? Have any of you already added a subwoofer to this amp? Did you like the results?

Another quick question for you KP200S owners.

Mine is still in shipping but have noticed that it has a subwoofer 1/4 inch line input.

I have a big powered JBL subwoofer that is hooked into my home audio system. His jacks are RCA's. Can I utilize this subwoofer on the KP200S? Would I just need a 1/4 inch to RCA cable to do this? Have any of you already added a subwoofer to this amp? Did you like the results?

It's an output from the KP-200S, and you can indeed connect your JBL sub directly to it. Use a standard 1/4 inch to RCA cable, yes. I haven't tried a sub on mine yet. It sounds pretty darned good without one!

:DTR

Well for my purposes the 200 works well. However if I were doing solo classical gigs than I would probably go with something more hi-fi(probably some powered mackies etc). But the 200s is a very convenient all in one solution for someone who needs an all around amp for multiple keyboards without the hassles of setting up speaker stands, mixers , amps etc..I think the benefits of a hi fi rig are lost in a noisy band situation anyway...

I would really like to hear from someone who bought one of these and isn't happy with it.

I can't find a local dealer with the KP-200s and will probably end up purchasing one mail order, without having listened to one, when I get my Electro.

Looking through all the posts, I can find:

- some posters who prefer a pair of powered monitors due to sound quality, seperation, and volume (though at greater expense and weight)

- some posters (but none who play an Electro) who can't do without a sure 'nuff rotating horn

- a few idle gripes about size and weight

Is this thing really that perfect?

Also I see at motion sound\'s web page that they are supposed to start shipping the matching powered sub for this thing. I would really like to know how that sounds, since it would seem like a nice matchup in certain circumstances, particularly when playing basslines without a PA.

Bartolomeo

Originally posted by bartolomeo:

I would really like to hear from someone who bought one of these and isn't happy with it.

. . .

Is this thing really that perfect?

Bartolomeo

Well, you asked for it.

You probably already read my comment stating that the speakers in my piano sound better than the kp200s does. Aside from that, you don't get much sense of separation since it's coming out of one box. (Maybe it needs to be further away from me?)

I guess I was expecting more fidelity from it than it is capable of. But if you just need something that's loud enough to hear what you're doing, it's good at that. I don't have a problem with the weight. It's also very easy to hook up.

I think I was expecting too much after reading all of the endless glowing superlatives tossed at it by most of the forum members.

Hey! Someone's gotta be a grouch! :D

Well, just received my KP200S today. Hooked it up to my S90 and honestly I am underwhelmed. Like I stated before, I had been running my S90 through my home stereo and although I was happy with the sound, it was a pain in the butt to haul the A/V reciever, 2 speakers, subwoofer and cables to any gig I had to take it to. Again, I play mostly the acoustic piano voices and this amp is not knocking my socks off. I tried other voices: organs, ep's, etc., and they do sound more fitting for this amp, but those aren't the voices one uses in classical piano. Portability was the key and I really haven't gained a whole hell of alot since it really lacks some good bass, thus I plugged my big subwoofer to it to get that back. That, and the amp stand, (I bought the wrong one too, the thing wants to tip over frontwards), I'm not too sure I'm going to keep this amp. I had future hopes of playing with a rock band but I'm finding that aquiring keyboard parts to songs is not so easy and I'm the kind of guy who has to see the sheet music. So maybe this amp is unnecessary as I do concur that it has great power and can crank out some volume. With that said, I guess the way to go would be a couple of powered speakers. Am I going to find anything better for my money than a couple of JBL EON15G2's??????

Do I need a mixer if the S90 is the only keyboard that will be used? Do these speakers require speaker stands? Are they critical??

Are there any EQ controls on these speakers?

One of the nice things I like about my A/V reciever is the different ambiances I can set it too. My favorite is the Concert Hall sound. Great depth and not so flat, which is what this KP200s is really, flat.

In a band environment I dont think the additional hassle of hauling two eons and a mixer and all the other crap that goes along with it justifies the small increase in sound quality you will get. Things sound different when a loud drummer and guitar player enter the mix. A lot fo the detail you enjoy while playing at home by yourself is going to be a lost at a gig..

I agree completely with Calumet. We've been saying all along the KP is not going to get you a hi-fi sound, and a hi-fi sound in a live band context is not going to cut it.

Take it to a gig, or at least a practise. Try it out with the lineouts to your PA, and get opinions from a soundman. See how much you can hear on stage. You might change your mind.

Here for the gear.

I suppose I'll probably end up getting one. Home audio stuff sure won't cut it for me. It won't hold up to gigging, in my experience, and you can't run a bunch of inputs at once, and so on.

The more I think about it, I can see that a pair of JBLs isn't going to work for me. I've been thinking about recent piano gigs and some recent singing gigs where someone else was on keys. In most of these situations a pair of big JBLs would be out of place. Practice rooms, small churches, friend's living rooms.

Showing up at a choir rehearsal with a pair of 15" JBLs would make me look like a geek. :D

Now, if only *either* the Electro *or* the KP-200s had a reverb in it :(

Bartolomeo.

Well after mulling it over, I'm thinking that the heck with portability and a good clean sound is what my priority will be. So for now, the heck with an amp, powered speakers or any kind of pa system. I'm thinking maybe just getting a dolly of some kind and just upgrading my home stereo's speakers. I do have a big truck so space is not an issue. I'm plenty happy with the sound quality that I currently get but the JBL speakers I have are , shoot, over 12 years old now. So why don't I just get another pair of passive speakers and improve what I already got?

With that said, can anybody recommend some decent regular speakers for under a grand a pair? Something that is tailored more to meet the needs of my keyboard and not so much as meant for playing movies and listening to music?

Should I stay with JBL? The nice thing about my A/V receiver is that I can also add 2 more speakers and not necessarily trash my current ones.

Hi again Rockitman.

The folks at www.flitesound.com respond to email inquiries. They have a full range 3-way passive speaker specifically designed for keyboards that's worth a second look.

I know what you mean about needing a more detailed sound for classical playing. Speaking of which, have you considered doing classical ensemble work? It's a lot of fun, and you get sheet music to boot! If I were looking for gigs, I'd put my name in music schools, colleges, I'd hang out and introduce myself at the symphony, and just let people know i'm available. A lot of pianists are only interested in solo performance, so there's a ton of opportunities for a good accompanist. Just a thought. :)

Sue

With that said, can anybody recommend some decent regular speakers for under a grand a pair? Something that is tailored more to meet the needs of my keyboard and not so much as meant for playing movies and listening to music?

Should I stay with JBL? The nice thing about my A/V receiver is that I can also add 2 more speakers and not necessarily trash my current ones.

I think this is a mistake. Home audio is not built to stand repeated travel. Return the KP200S and get a pair of EON G2's. They'll give you the bottom end you think you need and they also (like the KP200S) have great onboard mixer functionality that keeps things simple. They (like the KP200S) are road-worthy meaning you're less likely to have a solder joint come loose.

Also, plugging 4 speakers into your receiver probably isn't great either - you need to take care so that the sound fields of each don't collide and muddy-up your sound.

Originally posted by dabowsa:

Return the KP200S and get a pair of EON G2's.

God I love it when people are passionate about their equipment!! :thu:

(I think the Eons are ugly. I use the 15" model quite regularly and think it sucks. ;) )

Originally posted by gangsu:

Return the KP200S and get a pair of EON G2's.

God I love it when people are passionate about their equipment!! :thu:

(I think the Eons are ugly. I use the 15" model quite regularly and think it sucks. ;) )

Uh, I'm not being passionate at all. I have a KP200S, use it quite often, love the portability, mixer, and stereo sound. I'm only suggesting that the G2's have a slightly wider response curve possibly giving Rockitman the fidelity he so desires.

I recommended he get a KP200S, but now that he doesn't like it, I'm saying get the JBL's because they're going to be a better fit than unhooking his home stereo for every gig or practice, wrapping up some 16 gauge speaker wire, disconnecting the CD player and TV and DVD player, and throwing the receiver and speakers in the back seat. That just doesn't seem like something that I'd want to deal with every week.

I'm literally at a loss for words when I hear people say the Motion Sound, JBL or Mackie stuff isn't good enough for them. You think the EON's "suck"?

:confused:

I recommended he get a KP200S, but now that he doesn't like it, I'm saying get the JBL's because they're going to be a better fit than unhooking his home stereo for every gig or practice, wrapping up some 16 gauge speaker wire, disconnecting the CD player and TV and DVD player, and throwing the receiver and speakers in the back seat. That just doesn't seem like something that I'd want to deal with every week.

I'm literally at a loss for words when I hear people say the Motion Sound, JBL or Mackie stuff isn't good enough for them.

I agree! Eric mentioned a pair of KT-80s and after checking the specs out, I'm thinking they'd be worth a look.

Here for the gear.

Hey Dabowsa, I wasn't ridiculing you at all. Passion is a good thing! I respect anybody who believes in what they've got.

You have to understand that i'm approaching the question of sound from a simple piano player's point of view. To illustrate, let me use Kawai pianos. There are a lot of very good top of the line Kawai uprights in town. They have a mellow, almost European quality to them. Very nice for playing solo. But as soon as I'm joined by a single violinist, I lose something in that piano. It's like the mid-range becomes muddy and soft. I point it out to the Kawai dealer and he scratches his head, much like people are doing right now. All I can say is that it's important to me to have the kind of clarity that a JBL doesn't offer. I haven't tried Mackie. I suspect they are one up, but that's only an impression.

I completely agree that tearing down and setting up a home system each time you're called out, is a mistake. Better to have gig stuff packed and ready to go.

sue

I just thought of something this morning, (I know, there's a first). I have a local Guitar Center and sure enough they carry the Eon15G2's. I went down there for lunch today and had them hook one up to a keyboard and it sounded good enough for me. Can only imagine what 2 of them hooked up will sound like. I had talked to a JBL engineer earlier this morning, explaining my scenario and he was trying to steer me to the JRX118SP powered subwoofer with a couple of Eon10G2's. That sub is over 90 pounds though and I wasn't sure if that wouldn't be a bit of overkill so went to GC and the 15G2 sounded plenty strong and bassy by itself so I will get a pair of these and be done with it. GC also had the Mackie SRM450's and I had a listen to them but not enough bass compared to the Eons.

Gangsu, I can understand why you think they're ugly. They definitely look different and plasticky. But they also look very resilient and very portable and you're right, unhooking my home stereo and packing it in the car all the time is only gonna break something soon.

So G2's, come to papa.

Cheapest I've found them for is $589 a piece. Abe's of Maine.com, but no free shipping. Called my old reliable Music123.com and they have them for $699 like practically everybody else, but they will meet the lowest price found.

Please disregard my last. I went back to Guitar Center after work and listened closely as before at lunch, there was too much racket in the room, and this time I could clearly hear the difference between the 15G2 and the SRM450.

The Mackie wins hands down. Not even close. The bass is there too. It is such a brighter and clearer amp and also the same price as the G2. JBL, you have some work to do! I'm now searching for a couple of Mackies.

To follow up these recent posts, I concluded some time ago that the Mackie SRM450s are excellent monitors for keys and they do sound better than the JBLs. I am a Motion Sound user, largely due to the portability factor and also the fact that I am not required to use a mixer to run 3 keyboards in stereo into my Motion Sound amps. I don't see how you can go wrong with any of these options, but I do believe the SRM450s are some of the best.

As for some of the finer points about being ultra picky on sound and carrying home stereo systems around (the horror!)...I am hard pressed to understand how folks would not be satisfied with some variation of either stereo combo amps like what I use, or a mixer and a pair of SRM450s or JBLs. These really are good solutions for live sound. I would not recommend to anyone that they dismantle their home stereo to carry to a live gig.

Regards,

Eric

Archived