Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's a good mixer with built-in FX?

eric

Hey folks,

I recently added a 3rd keyboard back into my rig and I play in stereo for most gigs. I have two Motion Sound amps with 3 inputs each, which allows me to run L/R from each keyboard for a total of 6 long patch cords running all over the place. I was thinking it might simplify my life if I had a small mixer sitting on my keyboard rig with shorter cables running from the keyboards and then just one cable to each amp.

It would be even better to have a mixer with some built-in verb and delay. I found Mackie's DFX series and these look nice. I have never really dabbled into mixers, so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for my situation. I have an S90, Nord Electro and Lead 2x. I sometimes use an Alesis Wedge with the Electro for reverb and delay. The Lead could also benefit from delay. I was hoping to find a mixer that would allow me to do this without a separate FX unit.

Thanks,

Eric

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Mackie and Behringer make mixers with built in Effects. Though there are folks that wouldn't vouch for the latter brand.

I use a Behringer UB2442 FX - Pro..16 Channel/ 4 Buss with built in effects..works quite ok and also was bought it for a song..about 600 US$

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

One thing I have learned from sound guys is that you want a high quality mixer with good pre-amps and components. You don't want to run all those great keyboards through something that retails at $79.95. Too many keyboardists spend a lot of money on boards only to kill the signal with a sub-par mixer. I was doing mixer research awhile agao and started looking for a line mixer. I found a few good ones that except 6 to 8 inputs but they don't have built in effects. Ashley LX308B was the best all around line mixer I had found. Then you could get a reverb unit to work with it. I am also told Soundcraft is a high quality name.

Best of luck

Tom

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

You may want to check out the Yamaha MG series Analog Mixers.

>> "There is no Outboard Signal-processing Gear Required. The mid-range MG models go beyond the basics to give you extensive control for a wide range of applications with the no-compromise Yamaha sonic quality."

The one below is the MG16/6FX. Sixteen channels and multiple FX all for around $379.

http://pictures.yamaha-europe.com/picture_archiv/products/20_proaudio/Mixers/Analog_mixers/mg166fx_medium_jpg.jpg

Here is some info on the MG series mixers if you're interested:

Yamaha MG Series Analog Mixers

These are brand new from Yammie and look to be great price/performance Analog Mixers for those wanting to save money yet not sacrifice quality and performance.

Mackie and the new Behringers are great price/performance Mixers too. Although Mackie now makes their Mixers in China (Yamaha may too for all I know), they do seem to still be top notch Boards, i.e. the Mackies, that is. Time will tell if the Yamaha MG series are truly worthy Mixers and hold up over time and extensive use.

Mike

hey eric,

keynote Mike steers true.

Just bought Yammie's MG10/2 for a situation similar to yours.

Now they've just introduced their MG8/2FX model,

that looks as if it may be ideal for you.

Try these links:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM04/Content/Yamaha/PR/MG8-2FX-MG12-4FX.html

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Yamaha_MG8_2FX_8_Input_Mixer_with_free...MG8_2FXKIT.html

I just bought a Behringer UB2442FX and am selling my Spirit Folio SX20. The Behringer sounds better, has more everything and the FX-processor (ok for live use, too noisy for studio)... cost about 350 euros. Not bad. Take a look at some of the smaller versions, like UB1204FX etc. Cheap & nice.

Another option is to get a Behringer RX1602 rack mixer and TC M300 fx, they'll fit in a rack easily. You get 8 stereo channels and high quality multi-fx, for less than 400.

Oh...and another good mixer to consider would be the Soundcraft mixer with the built in Lexicon effects processor. The mixer is the FX16 i think. It's a 16 Channel mixer, a bit cramped due to all that they've tried to squeeze in within the small space..but another option for you.

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

Thanks for the replies! Those new Yamahas look really nice. Can someone tell me if they have wall warts or not? That's one thing I really like about the Mackies is the lack of wall wart power supplies.

Thanks,

Eric

The MG series apparently have wall warts. They incorporate a four prong AC Adapter In connector instead of the inverted AC line in connector like the Mackies use.

I could be mistaken about the MG Mixers though. The four prong AC Adapter In connector could be a proprietary connector (special Cord with adapter) with the opposite end of the Cord being a standard 3 prong AC Line plug. Maybe they used the four prong AC Adapter In method to save space on the back panel of the MG Mixers?? :confused: But since Yamaha didn't answer your question with a definitive "No, the MG Mixers don't have wall warts", my suspicion is they do use a wall wart.

Btw, wall warts should be outlawed if you ask me. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//anger.gif

Mike

I have the Yamaha 16/6 FX. Nice mixer, flexible. Big wall wart. You can only choose one FX at a time and it's really just delay and reverb. Reverbs are so-so, but OK to add a little wetness to the sound in a live situation. Little to no control over the sound parameters.

Busch.

I bought a Yamaha MG16/6FX about 8 months ago, returned it and upgraded to a Mackie 1604, purely becuase the Yamaha didn't have the routing capabilities I was looking for (I wasn't using it with a keybaord rig, it was for a home studio) but to answer your question - yes, it had a wall wart. a rather large one as I recall.. or, actually, I'm trying to remember, it may not have been a wall wart, it was a large brick, but now that I think harder I don't think the brick was at the wall, kinda mid-way through (like you'd find with a laptop computer) - and the connector at the mixer was, I'm not sure what they're called, it was a metal circle that met up with two little metal pegs, and you'd do a half-turn and lock it into place. A very nice connection at the mixer, big brick, can't remember if it was at the wall or not.

Anyway - comments on this thread are making me think. I've been running my Roland RD-700 (and a bass guitar) into a small and cheap Behringer mixer (602A I believe) only because the Mackie 16 channel is just so big. Tonally I haven't been too happy, but I'm new to live keyboard rigs, maybe the mixer is sucking the life out of it. Then again, I'd expect the pre-amps on this little guy to be crap, but I'm going line input.

edit: oh, and as far as onboard efx, I wasn't impressed at all. I did use the thing to run FOH for a small band once, and the reverb was acceptable for vocals in a live club situation, but my Lexicon reverb was leaps and bounds better.

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Anyway - comments on this thread are making me think. I've been running my Roland RD-700 (and a bass guitar) into a small and cheap Behringer mixer (602A I believe) only because the Mackie 16 channel is just so big. Tonally I haven't been too happy, but I'm new to live keyboard rigs, maybe the mixer is sucking the life out of it. Then again, I'd expect the pre-amps on this little guy to be crap, but I'm going line input.

I have had the same concerns. I am still searching for a good line mixer that won't kill the sound. It's funny some of us spend so much on keyboards, thousands in fact, only to run it through something so cheap. I know, I am doing it right now!

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

I am still searching for a good line mixer that won't kill the sound
I read that and immediately thought "I just replied to you on This Thread but looking back it was another user. Keep an eye on that one though

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Hi Eric-

Another gigging club keyboard player here. I'd stay away from Behringer...from my experience and others on the HC forums they don't hold up well in our application. My UB1832 crapped out after a few months...out of five or six giggers who reported in I think there was only one whose UB mixer was still working after one year. It's a shame too...that Behringer was the perfect size, had the right features, and had more headroom than my Mackie 1402. I would have easily paid another $100 if they had made it reliable...maybe B. will get it together on build quality in the future.

Anyway, I don't use reverb live because it washes my sound out too much once the band's kickin' in. But delay...yeah...a short slapback to thicken leads and pads up. If I were looking for an all-in-one I'd be looking at those Yamaha MG's...wall warts and all... but I'd make sure I could edit the delay...studio settings (usually the default) have too long a tail. Behringers are uneditable, btw...and as for me I'm keeping my Mackie 1402/Alesis Quadraverb II combo around for a while longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. I've been surveying my options over the past couple of weeks. I was on the brink of getting one of the cheap Alesis mixers, based on positive feedback regarding the built-in FX. I walked into Guitar Center today and what do you know...there was a used Mackie DFX6 sitting there for $89. So I bought it.

I have not used it yet and I do have one complaint - it is HUGE for a 6 channel mixer! I was so hoping that it would fit into my spare Anvil briefcase, but it is too tall. I can actually get the case to close, but under severe pressure that cannot be good for those pots.

I'll post some more after I use it on the gig.

Regards,

Eric

Archived