Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dr. Moog should be in the Rock Hall of Fame

tarkus

After countless inquiries into the Rock Hall of Fame induction process, I've come up empty. I've even gone as far as mass mailing the folks in charge. Apparantly the selection process is anonymous (if you believe that one....) and the commitee is largely composed of journalists (sure). If the Smithsonian can recognize this man's brilliance and contributions, why can't these folks?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why you put Prince in the poll choices...like he doesn't deserve the honor? please

but yes, even though the HOF is kind of lame, Bob Moog definitly deserves the honor as much as anyone and it's a shame he's been overlooked. Has Leo Fender been inducted yet? I think he has, Bob Moog's turn.

Is there a category for instrument makers in the HOF? There should be.

i.e. Fender, Rhodes, Hammond, Moog

They were, after all, "instrumental" in defining the sound of rock music. (pardon the pun).

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Ok - yep Leo is in the Hall and so is Les as Pioneers in the field etc.....

Why Prince, because I got a stinkin feeling that he'll get in before any other Prog guys or Moog.

Without Moog and some of the following, rock would have been pretty dull during the 70's. If you believe the horse dung they fling at ya, prog never existed and roller-disco was the Highpoint of the 70's.

Hell, Mel Bay and Carol Kay should be in there as well but the exclusion of certain notables leads me to believe its all about the Videos or political/social accessability; hence Tom Petty and ZZ Top before ELP,Tull,Yes (still hard to believe), Crimson and the beloved Dr. Moog.

Originally posted by Synthoid:

Hmmmm, yes....why would anyone have Prince in the hall of fame? :D

Ummmmm....because he is a great musician and fabulous songwriter who heavily influenced the music scene of his time, and still does to this day? I don't know, just grasping at straws here...

:rolleyes:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by tarkus:

Why Prince, because I got a stinkin feeling that he'll get in before any other Prog guys or Moog.

You mean "got" in. Prince was induced in March. I couldn't agree more with his deserving to be there, and don't see why it takes away from Bob Moog not being there yet.

- Jeff

Just found out over the weekend - Jan Wenner picks and chooses who goes into the Hall and Who doesn't.

Maybe they should call it "Jan Wenner's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame"!!!
There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!

Originally posted by Magpel:

I voted for "we don't need no stinkin' hall." I migt have voted for number, but the impertinent Prince comparison threw me off.

:thu: I voted the same way. Besides aren't museums for things whose time has passed? :D

Jerry

Originally posted by Byrdman:

Just found out over the weekend - Jan Wenner picks and chooses who goes into the Hall and Who doesn't.

I don't recognize the name. Who did he play with?
Everybody. :)

He's the founder and editor of Rolling Stone magazine. He's also on the board of the RRHOF.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Originally posted by Byrdman:

I don't recognize the name. Who did he play with?
Everybody. :)

He's the founder and editor of Rolling Stone magazine. He's also on the board of the RRHOF.

- Jeff

I see. Not a magazine I have very often read.

I see the RRHOF "recognizes [people] that make R&R a force in our culture". I take that from their home page. So its not surprising that there is a US bias in their inductees - that is right up front in their mission statement.

So the Clash get in, for example, because they were important in the US, but the Sex Pistols do not even though without them the Clash might not have ever existed.

An odd omission is Iggy Pop. The Ramones are (rightly) there but not Iggy. Perhaps he was more of an influence outside the US than in it!

Odd that Alan Toussaint gets in as a "non-performer". That is unkind. Obviously his work as a producer is why he is there. Speaking of producers, I see Phil Spector is missing.

They really do need to start a category for instrument makers.

Moog, a great instrument for sure, but I think Rolands, Korgs, and Yamaha keys are on more hits than the Moog. HOF is for end users. Is the Funk Brothers in the HOF? I'm sure they should be there. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

i believe the Funk Bros are in the Hall as well as Booker T and the MGS. The fact that Korg, Roland, Yamaha etc appear on "more" hits than the Moog, is irrelevant. The point is that Moog is at the core of taking Rock n Roll to the next level.

Without the pioneer, there would be wilderness without a trail to follow.

Bob Moog should be in the hall for sure, as long as Lawrence Hammond and Don Leslie are in there too.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I tought that the entry criteria was partly based on being a recording artist since artists are only elligable 25 years after their first record.

That is one reason Moog may never get in; another would be that most people just don't know who he is.

A possible caveat: I recall hearing a record in the 1960s that IIRC was by Robert Moog. It was called something like "MaNa MaNa".

[Note: this was definitely not the tune "Popcorn".]

The artist was featured on a Mike Doulgas Show TV appearance & was described as the inventor of his instrument.

Anyone else recall this?

Archived