Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Version of �The ideal Performance Keyboard Rig�

Carlito

My Version of The ideal Performance Keyboard Rig

Please check it out.

To take it on the road, I might need to install handles on both sides, but for now, Im only using it to practice multi-keyboard techniques at home.

(tip): If you wanna save some serious money (to me $500 is very serious) , eBay is the way to go. With the exception of the SL990, everything else is from eBayers. Just be careful with who youre dealing with (check feed-backs, S/H quotes, etc.)

Thanks,

Carlos

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressive!

(For those of you that didn't realize, click the link in the signature for indepth description and photos of this homemade rig)

Have you seen any of the custom B4 dual-manual clones that people have built? How hard is it to swap out modules?

I guess my only concerns would be the weight. Is there a cover? Also, I like my upper and lower boards to be as close as possible - but I understand that its very efficient use of space to put the modules where they are.

I can't believe you sanded the keys to make them waterfall! Well done!

That thing is really cool! What do you charge yourself for out-of-warranty service? Seriously though, folks... A couple questions: what did you build the structure out of? Also, the Fatar semi-weighted action up top is from what keyboard - is it the self-branded Studiologic/Fatar SL-760 or another board?

Anyway, this is really ambitious - I would never try anything like this because I am too much of a coward.

Chaso

Carlito,

Some of what you've done is simply brilliant. The idea of putting the rack space tightly between the two keyboards. I've never seen that before but when I look at the pictures it seems so obvious, it makes so much sense.

Also, the creating of the waterfall keys and lopping off of the extra keys is great.

I was thinking that someone could manufacture a case (shell really) based on your design where certain keyboards could be secured into the case, have the rack space, add recessed handles, etc. Maybe made of the plastic like on the SKB cases. The shell would be the case for keyboards. Yes it would be heavy with all that stuff inside, but ease of setup and accessibility to the units would make up for it many people.

The only thing I would really need to use it live is some capability, like the Yamaha Master mode, where by selecting a preset all of the devices would change patch settings.

Thanks for sharing. Inspirational. Hope you make it into Keyboard mags keyboard of the month (or whatever it's called).

Busch.

As Keith Emerson said to Tull boardist Andrew Giddings: "which model Hammond is that?"

Giddings did something simialr by making his raod rig look like a large hammond when it was two Korg manuals layered and placed into a custom cabinet. But the extent of your work is amazing.

Genious!

You may have a cottage industry on your hands $$. (if you are not already doing this for profit, I know a few people that will drool when they see this.)

That's amazing, Carlito. Chaso, I too am too much of a coward to try this at home. :)

Carlito, I bet you could make $$ customizing 'boards for people. Question: how long are rubber-band actions good for? I know you said it's been reliable so far, but do you anticipate having to change the bands out periodically? Is it easy to get in there to change them?

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Very awesome!

I'm in the planning stages of putting together my own rig - Nothing like yours, which is a more useful desing than what I'm looking to do. (I'm looking to combine some analog modules w/a keyboard.) But seeing yours keeps me inspired!

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Carlito, consider yourself nominated for "Keyboard of the Month." I took the liberty of forwarding this link to the folks up at the magazine. That is a very nice piece of work, my friend. :D

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

Carlito, consider yourself nominated for "Keyboard of the Month." I took the liberty of forwarding this link to the folks up at the magazine. That is a very nice piece of work, my friend. :D

Good on you Stephen. I was going to suggest that if no-one had already done so.

A truly wonderful piece of work Carlito. You should be designing these things for a living.

The rubber band thing is ingenious, Now if you made the holding bar adjustable ....

Wow! I didnt expected so many nice comments. I just came home from work with a big migraine, and you guys just made it go away.

Tom, the rig weights 119 pounds without the midi-pedal and speakers.

Dabowsa,I have seen one dual-manual posted here about a year ago. It really gave me confidence to start working on this project.

Swapping out modules is very easy, but the top shelf only supports modules up to 10 deep. The bottom shelf will take modules up to 16 deep.

And no.I dont have a cover for it yet.

Before I sanded the keys I covered the front and the top with the same kind of tape painters use, leaving only the tip uncovered.

Chaso,the structure was built with pine wood(not very strong, but very light). Theres a 2X4 piece that supports the modules on the top shelf , and is also the backbone of the case. Yes, the semi-weighted is a Fatar SL-760.

Bush,I wish they did. But the problem would be: How many modules do you need? How heavy is too heavy for you? And so on.

I use the MX-8 to change patches on my modules.

No,Tarkus. I didnt do it for profit. It was a long project. Building the case was the hardest part, since I had no previous experience working with wood.

Geekgurl,The rubber band is experimental. I tried all different sizes, and these seem perfect.The action could be mistaken by the Yamahas P80. The travel , although the same as it was, feels a little longer. I dont think the rubber bands will brake easily, because theres not much stretching to them. And I still have about 1000 left, and theyre easy to change.

Thanks, DKeenum and Roger Hooper.

Thanks Jeff, for the tip on posting pictures from AOL.

Thanks Stephen. I guess I got your vote. :thu:

Thanks Byrdman. About the holding bar, that was my initial idea. And it could be done. But I decided not to do it because any little change in position for any reason, could make a big difference on the action.

Thanks, Marzzz.

Originally posted by Marzzz:

Obviously a worthy "Keyboard of the Month!"

Seconded.

Carlito, this thing is amazing. Sanding off the keys...ingenious. You also picked a great spot for the modules, and if they can be easily be swapped out to suit your needs/gig, there isn't anything that rig CAN'T do.

Nice work, I'll be looking for it in next month's keyboard. :thu:

This is incredible! Congratulations on creating such a creatively original instrument!

I would like to see some photos of what it looks like from the audience side. How do you tie things together inside of the case? Have you considered painting the case?

Great work!

Regards,

Eric

Still amazed after another look!

Suggestions: Stain the wood and seal it, or paint it. It appears to be decent grain, but I'd have to get up close too see.

Get a ribbon oscillator (any length) because its cool!

You'll have to take this apart to paint it, but you can fit handles to it. Check out the hide-away handles Ampeg uses on their new cabinets.

That was my two cents.

Very nice work and concept.

Any of you guys remember that Peavey actually made a keyboard mixer in the late 70's that sandwiched between two keyboards? It was black, flat and long and it was quite useful, though it was also quite noisy and had a spring reverb built-in so pounding on the keys made for some unfortunate audio side effects. But at one time I had a 76-note flat-top Rhodes, the Peavey keyboard mixer and a Korg CX-3 on top for a rig that resembled this.

Carlito, what you've done is absolutely amazing. A real labor of love, and highly original too.

However, let me play devil's advocate for a minute: You sawed off a few keys in the interest of portability, but you ended up with a 119-pound instrument. :eek: Do you gig with it regularly?

Thank you guys for the comments and suggestions.

Now for the questions:

Eric,

The wiring inside the case is still a little crowded. Some power cords, midi and audio cables will be replaced by shorter ones. In some cases Ill just need a 1 foot cord. Ill post some pictures with the back open very soon.

DJDM,

I got some cans of black and ivory.I did some tests on pieces of wood, but didn't decide which one yet.

Tarkus, I like the idea of a ribbon controller and Ill check the hide-away handles Ampeg is using.

Marino, 119 pounds was the best I couldve come up with. I know its still heavy but the two keyboards in their original shells plus the modules would be much more than that.

I didnt have a change to take it for a real road test. I wish I had it five years ago when I was still playing in a band.

Thanks again.

Carlos

That thing rocks! When can I get mine?... ;)

The real question, though, is when are the damn manufacturers going to wake up and start making a fully-weighted hammer-action controller with 76-keys and no extra space at the cheek guards. As a gigging keyboardist, that's the one thing that I need desparately, that I can't seem to find for love or money. :mad:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

That thing rocks! When can I get mine?... ;)

The real question, though, is when are the damn manufacturers going to wake up and start making a fully-weighted hammer-action controller with 76-keys and no extra space at the cheek guards. As a gigging keyboardist, that's the one thing that I need desparately, that I can't seem to find for love or money. :mad:

--Dave

That's one thing I like about the QS8 - a full 88 that fits in a 76 case. If it didn't I'd need a nigger truck (or some truck furniture, so I can stack more stuff up, which would help anyway)

Compact really does seem to have gone the way of the Dodo and Fiscal Discipline. I think you are more likely to start seeing synths with lots of chrome, fins, and fox-tails.

Archived