Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WTF with this Macromedia player??

Gulliver

It started today and is very annoying.

... Almost every time I enter almost any thread here, an icon appears asking if I want to install the new Macromedia Flash Player 7, because without it I can't see the site I'm visiting?!...

Hey, Macromedia, I CAN see the site without your freaking player! :mad::mad:

I am back.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand why you don't want to be forced to install any software, that is bogus.

But I'm a little curious as to why you wouldn't want to have Flash installed...I think Flash is cool and not at all intrusive...it hasn't had any negative effects on any of my computers. Web Designers are starting to use Flash in a lot of cool ways that aren't annoying like the opening splash screens that bug us all. I use Flash as an mp3 player on my website and listen to several others that do the same. I'd much rather see simple animations in flash than animated gifs.

I'm just wondering if there is some other reason for not installing flash that I haven't thought of. Do you have a dial-up connection?

:wave:

Web Designers are starting to use Flash in a lot of cool ways that aren't annoying like the opening splash screens that bug us all.
I'm just wondering if there is some other reason for not installing flash that I haven't thought of.
Yes, hackers ride in on it to install their spyware! Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by Kcbass:

Web Designers are starting to use Flash in a lot of cool ways that aren't annoying like the opening splash screens that bug us all.
I'm just wondering if there is some other reason for not installing flash that I haven't thought of.
No way...they do? I thought Flash was supposed to be safer in that regard...I need to look into this.

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

Originally posted by Kcbass:

No way...they do? I thought Flash was supposed to be safer in that regard...I need to look into this.
Stephen, Here's the skinny on my end. My pc is locked down tight cause I have minors that use it. Sometimes I have to ease up just to come to this site. One day I was flipping around and looking at my cookies. There was tons of x-rated stuff in my cookie cache. (Oh, yeah, this was after I got hijacked by some other site.) I found some anti-hijack software, installed it, deleted those cookies, and got my pc back to normal. A few weeks later, more x-rated cookies. While surfing for the reason how those cookies got on my pc, on one of those sites I read they use Flash to do that. I got rid of Flash and no more x-rated cookies. I'm trying to find the site with the info on Flash but so far no luck. Kcbass

P.S. It's not spyware but pop-ups they let get in.

"Let It Be!"

It was the case with the computer (Windows NT) I use at work (we have broadband connection over there). Right now I'm home using my Windows 98 (se) machine. So far - no traces of that icon... Will look elsewhere... :evil:
I am back.

he-he.. I just came to my working place and it seems like Windows NT can't live without that Macromedia player #7! :rolleyes:

Btw, I see all the (animated) banners over here.

That means that the computer has Flash installed, right?

I am back.

The pop up window is occuring every time the new Open Labs banner is served since they sent us in a Flash banner. We usually don't take Flash for this reason and I am hoping to see new banner from Open Labs soon. But until then I gotta keep it up since they are a paying sponsor.

I think a good solution in the meantime might be to click through, buy a neKo keyboard and tell them you saw their ad here. :D:thu:

Joe McDonough

Music Player Network

To be more specific, please pass this on to whoever created the Flash banner:

"Hello there. Did you know that your Flash Banner requires Flash 7 compatibility? Flash is ubiquitous, but Flash 7 is not, and unless you are specifically making use of Flash 7-specific features (it is obvious from the banner itself that you are not), please re-render the SWF file as minimum Flash 5-compatible (if not lower). This option is in a drop-down menu in your Publish Settings or in the Export Movie dialog."

I would recommend to those running this forum that if you are going to allow Flash banners you set a minimum version requirement just like you would set image size and file size requirements. (Hell, I just launched an audio mixer built in Flash and I only require Flash 6!)

Personally, I would recommend sticking with GIF animations for animated banners, especially since in this case it appears they are using all bitmap graphics anyway. There is no advantage to using a SWF in the first place in such a case.

Slightly off topic, but if you're having trouble with spyware, and malicious data miners you can try adaware, and spybot.

I was jacked by a site a little while ago that insisted on trying to install things every 10 minutes or so while I was surfing regardless of the site. It would also pop up ads even when I was offline! I downloaded the free version of Adaware, and that killed that straight off. I also run spybot regularly. Between the two I have very little problems with data miners, and spyware.

Find them here:

Spybot Home Page

Adaware Home Page

"The heart of the machine is evolving, the soul has emerged, and all who embrace it will reach Teknotic Nirvana." ~ Nos Tehbi "Book of the Teknos"

Archived