Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

would you get a kurzweil midiboard?

mildbill

i found one today at a local store and they want $400 for it.

it has a manual dated 1986 - i guess that makes it about 18 years old.

it looks like it has normal wear/tear - some of the legending is worn off from what appears to be hand rubbing.

it's very heavy.

all the buttons seem to work.

i guess it has 'almost' everything i've been looking for in a control board -

can send release velocity, can send poly-pressure,

i think it can split and layer (not sure), and has 2 self-centering wheels with nubbers on top.

it has the best feeling keys/action of any midi type board i've ever tried - just the right resistance and the pressure feels good at the bottom.

only way to check it out is to drag it home, and i have 7 days to return (for store credit only), and a 60 day warranty if it goes south.

i guess the thing is, now that i've actually found one, i've already gotten a midi-controller type thing that has 8 sliders, 8 knobs, 8 encoders, joystick, touchpad, about 30 buttons, transpost controls for a DAW, and pretty crappy keys. the kurzweil has none of these type controls.

there's also no ribbons or anything like that and i don't know about pedal/ breath control inputs.

it's such a big old heavy antique, but the keys are to die for - i'm torn.

what's your take on it? any owners with tips?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$400? GET IT! They're quirky, but that's the price of an entry-level 88 controller these days. The MIDIboard indeed had one of the most beautiful actions ever - that alone is worth it.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Use the seven days to try every situation you might need a controller for.Check all the keys, sliders,etc.

I bought one almost 20 years ago and sold it after six months.I couldn't keep it because I needed something smaller and lighter, not all that midi power, and I was short of money.It was a latter version(the list of printed "steps?" covered the entire top right side.

Loved that action. I took it apart to check the mechanism one time. Simple, but the keys were as long as the ones on a grand piano IIRC.

Great piano touch. Polyphonic aftertouch that is extremely usable. What it lacks in knobs and sliders can be made up by a modern Midi knob controller (Peavey 1600x, Encore Knobby, Evolution UC-33e, etc.). Try to get one that has OS rev 3.0

I would also buy it, but couldn't you take a module, a pair of headphones and a MIDI cable there to check it out? It would be such a pain to lug it home to find it not working.

"For instance" is not proof.

I'll pile on and vote yes. I bought one back in 1987 and have never been able to let it go, in spite of the fact that it takes up way more space than I have to spare. The action is the best I've ever felt, and I've always wondered why others don't sing its praises more relative to the kind-of-exhausting KX88 action from the same period. I rarely gig with it, but it's my preferred board for almost any recording situation. btw: $400 is a steal. During a dark moment a few years ago, I advertised it for $800, and had several interested parties before I came to my senses.

Midi control was cutting edge for the time (much more powerful than the KX), but obviously the bar has been raised since then. Still, I've always been able to do anything I've needed to do in terms of multi-channel split configs (though data entry is slower than what we're used to on a modern controller with an alpha display.)

The poly AT is great and dangerously seductive--other boards seem to me to behave "incorrectly" when I trigger AT from them. Never have found a musical application for the release velocity, though I confess I haven't tried that hard.

You've probably noticed this, but the thing is very deep from front to back. I'm talking DX1/Matrix-12 deep, so make sure you've got a rack to accomodate it. I use an IQ3000, which works really well.

Originally posted by EZB:

You've probably noticed this, but the thing is very deep from front to back. I'm talking DX1/Matrix-12 deep, so make sure you've got a rack to accomodate it. I use an IQ3000, which works really well.

Back in the old days, keyboards were designed to be stackable, and you gotta wonder why they don't do this anymore, at least with "master" keyboards. With the IQ3000 (and IQ 2000, which I have) you can place a keyboard on top the MidiBoard, and still use the 2nd tier for a third keyboard. Makes for a nice compact setup.....!

A friend who also owns a MidiBoard highly recommends stands by Bespeco.

Originally posted by EZB: Never have found a musical application for the release velocity, though I confess I haven't tried that hard.
Release velocity is good for adding subtle envelope time modulation to string patches and comps; the filter and amp env behave a bit differently depending upon how quickly you release the keys. Pitch envelope as well, if you're using one.

It's one more subtle variation in response to your chops, adding interest to your sounds.

Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

I have a Kurzweil 1000PX rack. I opened it up and found that it's built like a TANK!

Aside... we should start a post listing equipment that we feel was built like a tank.

I'd go with:

OLD Kurzweil stuff

McIntosh Stereo equipment

Manley audio equipment

My old RMI Electra-Piano

Some older Mercedes Benz automobiles (maybe some new ones, too)

I'm sure there are many more, but can't think of them now (help).

Anyway, if you have room for it, buy the Kurz midiboard. It will probably be worth much more than $400 in just a few years - and it will probably operate just fine then too! :)

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I played the Midiboard when it first came out, and I loved it in every way except one: A rather strange bouncing back of the keys, after you've played them. While I found that this allowed fast repeated notes, I also noticed that sometimes, notes got 'chocked', that is, the Midiboard sometimes thought I had already released the key, while I had just let it raise a few millimeters. Thus, a note-off message was transmitted, sometimes followed by a new note-on!

I also seem to remember that this problem was only present on earlier Midiboards, but perhaps it's worth to check before you buy it.

Originally posted by EZB:

Never have found a musical application for the release velocity, though I confess I haven't tried that hard.

Many good string sample libraries use release velocity to control release time...an incredibly useful feature.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by marino:

I played the Midiboard when it first came out, and I loved it in every way except one: A rather strange bouncing back of the keys, after you've played them.

I also seem to remember that this problem was only present on earlier Midiboards, but perhaps it's worth to check before you buy it.

Correct on all counts, marino. William Coakley writes about it here . He mentions that a software revision improved it, but I don't know which revision.

i confess: i'm not worthy. i will be passing on this one.

although i've been dabbling with keyboards for almost 20 years, i am not a 'pianist'.

all my experience has been with lightweight synth action/sem-weighted boards.

the 'heaviest' action i've got is on my S80.

i would refer to myself as more of a 'synthesist'.

the 'altruist' in me says to let someone have it who can fully exploit its capabilities.

my chops are not great - and i don't know if i have the dexterity to fully take advantage of poly-pressure.

i had a board with poly-pressure (ensoniq eps), and never really used it or got the hang of it.

i am a release velocity addict, however.

currently i have two boards that use it (K2600 and Virus C keyboard, and every patch i program takes full advantage of it.

the kurzweil is finicky to set up, but the virus is dead simple and responds exactly as it should.

just get your sound and set amp env release to maximum (127).

go into the mod matrix and assign release velocity to amp env release and set it to maximum (negative) -64.

when you play a fast line and release the keys quickly the sound snaps shut, but when you s- l- o- w- l- y let up on a key, the sound will sustain for a good long time.

that's just the start, because you can assign it to filtering, to bring in an lfo, or many other things.

playing would be expressionless without RV.

it's one of the main deciding factors in my board purchases.

at any rate, the midiboard feels like silk to me.

i don't have the space for it and have little i wish to part with right now to make room for it.

it's heavy enough where i'm not sure i could manage it by myself, (although it's a piece that once settled would probably never be moved).

and it's old and obsolete enough that if anything is wrong with it, or would go wrong with it in the future, i highly doubt it could be successfully repaired.

i feel like i was in the presence of a legend tho, and am glad i got to see and play around with one.

i hope i don't kick myself in the future for this decision - but i think manufacturers are starting to get with the program as far as controllers go and we should see some nice stuff coming out soon.

you'll have to call - it's a smaller store and i don't know how often they update their site.

the tel. # is towards the top of the page.

it was there yesterday: 3/16/04

also, actual sticker price was $399 and i've never gotten them to come down in price on anything.

but from everything i've heard about the midiboard, this appears to be a killer deal.

I have a midiboard for sale. If anyone is interested, private message me and we can go over the details. Mine was purchased new in 1989. It has always been in my studio, under a cover when not in use. It's a v3.0 and all the function work perfectly. I have the original manual and the original shipping box it came in (the box isn't in great shape though).

I also will have a midiboard for sale....OS rev 3.0, it is in fair-good cosmetic condition, but electronically it works perfectly. I am looking to get around $450 for it, contact me with this screen name on AOL.

Archived