Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on playing rhythm guitar on a keyboard??

tdm71

Any advice on playing rhythm guitar on keys for some RnB/Hip Hop music? I hear a lot of what sounds like repeated notes and melodic intervals that are not sustained. Not really sure what a guitarist calls this, but the notes seem to be "choked" as soon as the are played, much like it was played through a compressor with a very high threshold. Sorry if I sound like I don't know what the correct terms is, but does anyone know what I'm referring to? Any intervals that are common for "bluesy" rhythm guitar parts?

THANKS GUYS!!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those "choked" notes are palm muted. I have never, ever, ever heard someone use one patch on a keyboard and pull off a convincing "bluesy" rhythm guitar.

My answer?

Hire a guitarist.

Fact is, there's a lot more than just palm mutes you have to think about when you're trying to pull it off on a keyboard - strum patterns, where the 6-note chords are rung 2,3,4,5, or 6 notes at a time, with no fixed pattern - chord voicings, where a keyboards multisample doesn't account the fact that a chord can be played in several different positions on the neck and use the same notes, yet sound totally different due to not only neck stress, but string gauge - pick attack, where a guitarist will alternate between flat and angled picking to create different sounds (again, that your keyboard won't account for)

There are just so many reasons not to try to fake a guitar with a keyboard - it's damned near impossible to mount a convincing argument the other way.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

There are just so many reasons not to try to fake a guitar with a keyboard - it's damned near impossible to mount a convincing argument the other way.

money!!!?? :P though i'd have to say on a serious note, depending on the genre, it can be pulled off....backstreet boys, usher...they've had #1 hits with "fake" guitars... :D but yes, as a whole, you'd be nuts to try and play guitar on a keyboard

It ain't even worth trying. I've seen the video of the Yamaha clincian demonstrating how the Motif represents a quantum leap in synth guitar sound and articulations. The clinician was great but the sound was, of course and as always, laughable. The very very best synth guitar can ever hope to achieve is a third rate facsimile of hair-metal cliches.

Isn't it funny? Synth bass, both sampled and synthesized, is integral to so much modern music, and has been for a while. Let us all pray together that synth/sampled guitar never gains that kind of foothold.

BTW, there are some nylon and steel string acoustic patches that I like a lot--when played as a keyboard sound. More like harpsichord or hammer duclimer.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by tdm71:

Any intervals that are common for "bluesy" rhythm guitar parts?

You're probably thinking of a typical dotted-quarter + eighth note rhythm using the I and alternating the V & VI of a chord.

Those chunky palm muted rhythm guitar chords are certainly difficult, if not impossible, to convincingly do on a keyboard. Is there some other rhythmic guitar element you can use? Muted guitar arpeggios (like "Every Breath You Take") can work, or repetitive single note palm mutes (like "Bring On The Night" or "Edge of Seventeen" ).

Originally posted by Magpel:

More like harpsichord or hammer duclimer.

I've never played a hammered dulcimer, but I have played a dulcimer hammered.

I know some new 'boards have an arpeggio feature that's supposed to make "strumming" guitar patches more convincing, but yeah, if you want that dirty, perhaps even sloppy at times, chunk, it's probably not worth trying (I'm not sure if this is what you want?). Usually the samples I've heard are "what a nice folky acoustic guitar strum." And even then it had a generic quality to it.

If you can't hire a guitarist, rent a guitar, go line in on an amp sim, get a guitar tab of 7th chords, and practice playing that rhythm on guitar ... with the time you could invest in programming and massaging keys, you could probably get what you want, even if you've never played guitar in your life! :D

Can you point to specific examples of the playing style you want so we have a better reference? Maybe it's not as difficult as what I'm thinking.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Archived