Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Check in after a long time, and a question...

Goldberg

Hi, anyone remember me? lol, ok I suppose not seeing as I changed my forum name...if you prefer, I am the "pianist formerly known as Striker1080". Haha, ok I doubt that did any good. It has probably been over a year since my last post here, so I imagine only you old farts around here would actually be able to remember..."oooh, yes, Striker old boy, I remember him" or something.

In any event, I've been having a question in my mind for a week or two now and after discussing it with a few people I thought who better to answer it than the people who would actually know precisely what I'm talking about? Well, what I'm looking for is a decent computer for running audio software on, seeing as recently I got an interface to hook microphones up to record my piano. Right now I have a desktop, which is great, but I personally think it would be nice to have a laptop so that 1) I can have a separate computer for music projects and 2) I can take it places easier.

Well, the question is specifically about the Macintosh laptops: Powerbooks versus iBooks. I suppose anyone could tell you that the Powerbook is the better way to go for power, but aside from the somewhat girly case, is the iBook seriously lacking anything when stacked up against the Powerbook? In other words, is it worth the several hundred dollars more for the Pb for a laptop that will run reasonably advanced audio programs? Is it even worth it to check into either one of these laptops? Or should I evaluate other options? It'd be best of course to stick to the lower $1000 range...any opinions/advice would be appreciated!

By the way, for those of you who care (yes, both of you), I've been doing pretty well...busy, but well. I'll turn 16 in a few months, and am as always practicing very hard...my repertoire is still amazingly small but is growing:

Beethoven's op. 27 no. 1 sonata

Chopin's Nocturne op. 53 (?) in F minor

Liszt's La Campanella

Bach's Prelude and Fugue II in C minor, WTK

and I'm working on:

Mozart's k. 333 sonata

Bach's Italian Concerto

Beethoven's 3rd Concerto

Liszt's 2nd Concerto (that's one too many concertos isn't it...)

and some Haydn sonata thing...G major.

And for those who don't know me, yes, I'm definitely mostly a classical pianist.

Well, again, thanks for any replies! Sorry about the long post...I guess that's always been a tradition of mine...

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IIRC, there is a significant difference in the maximum RAM for a Powerbook vs. an iBook (check the max RAM specs on the Apple website). With more and more RAM required to take advantage of new and future music software products, the capacity of a Powerbook would make it the better long term investment.

Sorry, can't help on the computer thing.

La Campanella...now that is one of my favorite all time pieces on the piano. I have an amazing recording by Andre Watts, if I remember right. I have the sheet music, but it's way beyond an un-classically trained keyboardist such as myself. Is that a "wickedly" hard piece or is it just me? Then again, that Liszt concerto must be pretty tough.

Thanks all for the replies!

Pete-La Campanella is a REALLY cool piece, isn't it? Have you heard Paganini's original violin concerto? (I believe the third movement from the third concerto is La Campanella-fiendishly difficult for the violin, I might add). Also, I haven't heard Andre Watts' recording before, but I think the best one out there is Marc-Andre Hamelin's. He plays everything "perfectly" but never descends into the world of cheap "showsiness" if you will. It's very, very impressive. Not that I'm saying Watts is cheap and showsy though, because I haven't even heard it. But Hamelin's is definitely worth a listen.

As for the piece itself, I didn't find it to be too difficult. There's no harm in trying it, in any event. You'd just better be up to the jumps in the beginning (actually considered by many to be the hardest part), the outside trills, lightening fast chromatics and two handed trills, and finally octaves in the end (mind the left hand on the last page, particularly). But, seriously, for someone who has been playing long enough, it's not too big of a stretch. Try it out.

The Liszt concerto will probably be difficult, yes...I decided to do it instead of Totentanz which I probably would have killed myself with...

Oh, and if anyone is interested and knows how to post mp3's on this site, there may be a way for me to post a recording of La Campanella, sloppy and distasteful as it may be. I'd just need help doing so...

Originally posted by Goldberg:

Thanks all for the replies!

Pete-La Campanella is a REALLY cool piece, isn't it? Have you heard Paganini's original violin concerto? (I believe the third movement from the third concerto is La Campanella-fiendishly difficult for the violin, I might add). Also, I haven't heard Andre Watts' recording before, but I think the best one out there is Marc-Andre Hamelin's. He plays everything "perfectly" but never descends into the world of cheap "showsiness" if you will. It's very, very impressive. Not that I'm saying Watts is cheap and showsy though, because I haven't even heard it. But Hamelin's is definitely worth a listen.

As for the piece itself, I didn't find it to be too difficult. There's no harm in trying it, in any event. You'd just better be up to the jumps in the beginning (actually considered by many to be the hardest part), the outside trills, lightening fast chromatics and two handed trills, and finally octaves in the end (mind the left hand on the last page, particularly). But, seriously, for someone who has been playing long enough, it's not too big of a stretch. Try it out.

The Liszt concerto will probably be difficult, yes...I decided to do it instead of Totentanz which I probably would have killed myself with...

Oh, and if anyone is interested and knows how to post mp3's on this site, there may be a way for me to post a recording of La Campanella, sloppy and distasteful as it may be. I'd just need help doing so...

Yea, the jumps at the beginning, I really butcher them...

I don't doubt that Hamelin has the best recording. On Hyperion he has the best Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody #2 I've heard, with an amazing cadenza at the end. Also, I have several of his stunning Alkan recordings, which I think have to be heard to be believed.

I must admit I have not heard his Hungarian Rhapsodies, but have you heard Horowitz's transcription of the 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody (as well as the Rakoczy March, whatever number that is)? Talk about suicidal, the thing's an absolute monster. I believe at one point in his cadenza, the outer fingers of his right hand play the bouncy Friska theme while the inner fingers play chromatic scales! It's impossible to listen to everything else that's happening, nonetheless play it!

As for Hamelin's Alkan, well, his recording of the Symphonie for Solo Piano has remained in my CD player as possibly my favorite disc of all times for about two months now. I have started work on the Symphonie myself, but after a month I've only slogged through about half of the first movement. And the rest of it only gets harder...It's a very, very long term goal...

I haven't heard the Horowitz Rhapsody. I'm pretty sure I have recordings only by Hamelin and Volodos, although I've heard several others play it.

I'm not sure anyone else on this forum has heard of Alkan. The Symphonie is one cool piece. I could not learn it in 100 lifetimes of practice. I knew a classical pianist in school who was (IMO) incredibly good, as he could play amoungst other things the Liszt sonata. The Lizst sonata he had said was his biggest challenge and accomplishment as a pianist, but that he still wasn't able to get any of Alkan's big pieces to performance quality (grand sonata, concerto, symphonie, etc). That got me interested in hearing Alkan since I figured it must be dazzling stuff to hear.

I hope that Hamelin makes a live recording of the concerto for solo piano.

You remind me very much of myself at your age! In my case, it was Chopin... I heard a recording of the F# major nocturne at about 16 years old and I was FASCINATED! Up until that point, I was primarily a rock and roll guitarist who played a bit of piano. I went straight to a local record store and bought the first Chopin recording I could find. This just happened to be Abbey Simon's legendary recording of the 24 Etudes!! That was it - I was hooked from then on...

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Originally posted by pete psingpy:

I haven't heard the Horowitz Rhapsody. I'm pretty sure I have recordings only by Hamelin and Volodos, although I've heard several others play it.

I'm not sure anyone else on this forum has heard of Alkan. The Symphonie is one cool piece. I could not learn it in 100 lifetimes of practice. I knew a classical pianist in school who was (IMO) incredibly good, as he could play amoungst other things the Liszt sonata. The Lizst sonata he had said was his biggest challenge and accomplishment as a pianist, but that he still wasn't able to get any of Alkan's big pieces to performance quality (grand sonata, concerto, symphonie, etc). That got me interested in hearing Alkan since I figured it must be dazzling stuff to hear.

I hope that Hamelin makes a live recording of the concerto for solo piano.

Have you heard Cziffra's transcription of The Flight of the Bumblebee by any chance? It's not exactly on this topic, but if you want DAZZLING, then there ya are. I've never tried to play it before, but a friend of mine once referred to it as "insta-tendonitis"...apparently it involves alternating octaves at prestissimo for about 4 minutes...the only other person I know who's done it is Volodos.

But, anyway, part of why I like Alkan's music is that it is only dazzling to pianists...in other words, most people could listen to it and not really think it's THAT hard (ok, ok, there are exceptions...). But when you get down to it, like you said, it's harder than practically any other thing you'll find in Romantic music, and probably even before that. Liszt would often appear uncomfortable upon the mention of Alkan's name or music, and sit quietly.

Also worthy of mention is Horowitz's "Stars and Stripes Forever" transc...listen to it and you'll be forever assured of his genius! At one point, one can easily imagine another pianist at the keyboard with him, but it's only Horowitz.

It IS nice to meet an Alkan fan...

Hi, anyone remember me?
I remember you... and your new Steinway (raging jealousy still ensues). Glad to hear from you and yet I'm glad not to hear from you for long periods of time. I admire your commitment to developing your skills/talent at the perfect time in your life when you have the least amount of distractions (believe it or not). Cant help you with the Mac question but I hope you are doing well. As someone eluded to, you remind us

old(er) farts of what we were once like... and thats a good thing. Good luck.

Thanks for all your kind words, Markyboard! It's great to hear from you lot again, as it is. I've been well myself...well, ok, a few downers, and a few good things as well, but at the end of the day the average consensus is: I'm fine. :D And I hope everyone else here has been great as well. Interesting that you remembered the Steinway-lol, I DO remember all of those jealous remarks...why not start them up again for old time's sake?

Yes, I have a close-to-a-year-old Steinway M...it's beautiful, and sounding better each day!

As for you old farts...well... ;) What can I say?

With the Powerbooks, you get more of everything: hard drive, optical drive options, better graphics; but the most important thing is the RAM limitation. The latest generation of iBooks narrows the gap a lot (including a less girly case). The best way to compare systems and see their differences is to go to store.apple.com and click on a couple of systems like you're going to buy them; the step where you get to customize your system is where you can get a good look at the configurations.

Dementia-thanks for the reply; actually, it gave me some new optimism towards the Powerbooks.

On a related note, I was dreaming about the Alienware Ozma last night, for which I saw an ad in Keyboard magazine. The thing looks sweet! Probably a little out of price range though, even for the lowest version. Has anyone had experience with these (doubtful)?

For those interested, I played a recital with La Campanella yesterday in Duncan Hall. It was a lot of fun, but unfortunately it didn't go as well as I had planned because I was tired after a long week and my wrists had become kind of tense from, most likely, over-practicing. But all-in-all, things worked out, and the audience was still wowed (it's arguably amongst the top 5 crowd pleasers ever!).

I was attracted to Alkan since I heard his Prelude n.13 (romantic music in 5/4?!), the Scherzo Diabolico, or Le Chemin De Fer (The Railway). Alfredo Casella used to say that his music is "wonderfully ugly" :D and I would agree with that. Almost all of Alkan's music is diabolically difficult to play, even though it doesn't *sound* so hard to the listener; that's something he and Brahms have in common, as I see it.

To me, Alkan's best pieces are the shorter ones, like the Preludes or Esquisses; I like them better than the virtuosistic showstoppers. Especially the slow ones - they seem to have an almost mystic, sculpture-like quality.

Striker! Has it really been a year? Damn. Well, welcome back.

I don't have much to add to either topic. If I was buying a new laptop I'd get the Pb if at all possible, but that's just based on my general principle in buying computers -- get the most memory and throughput that you can afford, because obsolescense comes so fast.

It's really nice to hear that you're continuing your classical studies. It's something I wish I had done when I was your age, but I was much too busy rebelling against authority and just generally being an asshole. :rolleyes: Keep up the good work, and someday I'll come see you at Davies Hall. ;)

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Dave! Nice to hear from you. Yes, I think it has been a year-maybe even more! I just suppose I got busy with other things and before you knew it, I just sort of faded from the forum (I did find 2 other forums though, focused on classical piano). As for "other things", well, don't ask about my recent situations with girls, cos you don't want to know (yes, I'm still a virgin, and no, I haven't been kissed...but it's been a long, complicated little ride...).

In any event, thanks for your opinion on the Pb. I'm still working on my dad, trying to convince him it would be a good idea, but I think his momentum has kind of died down. Oh well.

As for Davies Hall...I love the idea, but really, I think you're more likely to see me playing in your retirement home someday (soon?) than any big halls. That's about the hottest gig I'll get.

Archived