Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Dinky" CDRs

Byrdman

The other day I noticed small format CDRs. They play for 20 min, according to the label and are designed primarilly for small format cameras and the like.

I was thinking they would make ideal business cards for people who you want to give samples of your playing to. In other words make some up with 20 min of your music and your contact details on the label.

Has anyone done this? Where did you find printable labels of the right size? Have you been able to find "clean skin" versions of these? Will they record in a regular CDR unit?

TIA, David

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dabowsa:

They even have ones that are "rectangular" like a business card -

click me

I believe that is what they meant by "business card" in the link I posted, the rectangular shape I mean :)

mini CD:

http://www.snjcd.com/samples/thumb/mini-label-2-th.gif

Business Card CD:

http://www.snjcd.com/samples/thumb/cd-businesscard-02.gif

:wave:

P.S.

Business Card CD-Rs are used for CD-ROM applications only...I'm pretty sure this is universal

I use them from time to time. They're pretty cool. Some get 20 minutes, some 24. There are labels available. Only thing is, like Dabowsa said, you have to use them in a tray...putting them in the front loaders is a no-no.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

P.S.

Business Card CD-Rs are used for CD-ROM applications only...I'm pretty sure this is universal

Actually, the only limitation, whether audio CD Player or CD-ROM drive, is that it has to be tray loading. You will be in a world of hurt sticking one of these discs (or the ones shaped like guitars, etc) into a slot-loader.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

P.S.

Actually, the only limitation, whether audio CD Player or CD-ROM drive, is that it has to be tray loading. You will be in a world of hurt sticking one of these discs (or the ones shaped like guitars, etc) into a slot-loader.
I thought about this a bit as well, but there are two issues:

1. With music, you (most likely) wouldn't be able to count on people listening to them in cars. I'm not certain whether they'll work in cartridge style multidisc changers either.

2. The form factor isn't standard. There was an article a few months ago on "libraries" where they mentioned that slim jewel boxes weren't a good idea because there wasn't room to put you name on the "binding" (too thin), and that made it less professional.

Originally posted by PatAzz:

1. With music, you (most likely) wouldn't be able to count on people listening to them in cars. I'm not certain whether they'll work in cartridge style multidisc changers either.

I was just talking about the physical limitations...and you are right, most cartridge changers (the two I have, anyway) will not accomodate a smaller CD.

That said, I've used the small business card CD's for demos and portfolio pieces for years, but I'd never archive something on them.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived