Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KC Comps - Volume 7/8

Dave Bryce

I tried to look back at earlier threads for preferred format but didnt find a good summary. Are people mailing you a CD (ala US Postal, UPS, Fed ex)? Or can we send you a file attachment? If so what format? Right now I can only send a Logic Audio files but I was going to buy Nero any way so I think I'll be able to send it in what ever format you prefer. Please let us know Dave.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I look forward to your yodelling. What mic would you use for that? ;)

dB

I'll have to call Jewel and ask what her preferred yodeling mic is. And tell her to fix her damn teeth! It's not like she can't afford it.

In response to your question, I believe a Stephen Paul-modded U87 is the only mic even remotely usable for yodeling. I'll call you back when I raise the funds to buy such a mic. I know the trade-in value of my car won't cover it, but you gotta do what you gotta do to capture that yodeling in high fidelity. :thu:

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

In response to your question, I believe a Stephen Paul-modded U87 is the only mic even remotely usable for yodeling.

Dude...you're so off base...

Any yodeller worth his/her salt knows that the Green Bullet is the only way to go, tone wise. Hand held, of course...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Dave - Looking for a ruling. (Others can chime in with their two cents as well.)

I've been playing with a Coltrane-influenced piece on my Ion that I want to submit. I'm calling it "Coltrane Impressions" based on the tune that got me started down this path (Impressions). Since signature lines from various Coltrane tunes would be woven through the piece would it still count as an original? If not, I save it for when we go with the original idea for Volume 7.

Originally posted by JimmieWannaB:

I've been playing with a Coltrane-influenced piece on my Ion that I want to submit. I'm calling it "Coltrane Impressions" based on the tune that got me started down this path (Impressions). Since signature lines from various Coltrane tunes would be woven through the piece would it still count as an original?

I don't think so. I'd probably lean towards calling that a cover, much like Marino's Lucy/Beatles influenced piece on Vol. 6...

dB

I believe a Stephen Paul-modded U87 is the only mic even remotely usable for yodeling.
Isn't Stephen Paul the coolest cat ever? My contacts with him have left me forever touched. An amazing story of bravery, courage, and perseverance. His song with Valerie Carter, Wishes, is one of the most beautiful I've ever heard....

I'd kill for one of his mics too. :)

dB, mine is ready for you, the usual method. Mail forthcoming.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

I am in!

If the discmakers run does cost more than usual and a price hike is in order to cover shipping - I think the on-disc printing alone will make the increase worthwhile. I pressed my cd at discmakers and was very impressed with the quality of packaging and printing. Bleen can vouch for this :wave::)

Originally posted by astor*:

If the discmakers run does cost more than usual and a price hike is in order to cover shipping - I think the on-disc printing alone will make the increase worthwhile.

:confused:

All of the comps have on-disc printing - at least, they do if you mean what I think you mean - art work printed on the actual CD itself, right?

For me, the value of Discmakers would be in me not having to play bank, and us having the ability to let anyone get one (or more) whenever they feel like it - no more limited quantity single runs. That's why I'd like to investigate it further.

dB

All of the comps have on-disc printing - at least, they do if you mean what I think you mean - art work printed on the actual CD itself, right?
My bad. I was thinking they were stickers - which is fine, regardless.

For me, the value of Discmakers would be in me not having to play bank, and us having the ability to let anyone get one (or more) whenever they feel like it - no more limited quantity single runs
I concur, and this was the original reason I forwarded you that e-mail. I do also stand by my claim of their high quality product.

Whatever you decide works for me.

Dave,

I think I actually might be able to make this one. When is the deadline?

Jason

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I'm actually toying with the idea of submitting something if I get up the guts, but I have a dumb question. I really don't know anything about mastering (or for that matter mixing, and even playing keyboards as well, and you might find out first hand!).

I have a mixdown wave file, that I would probably apply, for example, some light overall compression in some places if I were to put it on a cd myself. Should I mess with the mixdown file at all, or just submit it as is since this (compression, eq, loudness) would be handled during mastering? (I should add by someone far better at it than I will be).

Thanks

Originally posted by pete psingpy:

I'm actually toying with the idea of submitting something if I get up the guts, but I have a dumb question. I really don't know anything about mastering (or for that matter mixing, and even playing keyboards as well, and you might find out first hand!).

I have a mixdown wave file, that I would probably apply, for example, some light overall compression in some places if I were to put it on a cd myself. Should I mess with the mixdown file at all, or just submit it as is since this (compression, eq, loudness) would be handled during mastering? (I should add by someone far better at it than I will be).

Thanks

Since I may be the one mastering this, I'd recommend that you make the mix sound as best you can to your ears, but don't put any limiting on the mix bus; a little compression can be okay if it adds to the sound (listen closely), but leave some headroom for level matching and processing during mastering.

Originally posted by M Peasley:

Red Book? Well, I can burn a CD off my VS-1680 that will play on any CD player. Darned if I know if it's Red Book.

Dave- If I send you my 1680-burned CD, will you let me know if it's unacceptable?

If you can play the VS-created CD on any commercial CD player, it will be fine for the comp. :thu:

Yes, the VS series burns in Redbook. Unless the final mixdown is tight, the CD will need its front and back trimmed and faded though. At least that's how it was with mine... That's why I always brought it into the PC for final mastering. the VS's D/A converters aren't terrific, but it still sounds good...

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Originally posted by phestic:

I would be game for it but what goes on with the copyrights... do I have to copyright my song first and if so how?!

It's up to you if you want to copyright your music, but it's certainly not necessary. We don't sell these for profit - we only make as many of these as we need, so there's no need to worry about collecting royalties.

As far as I know, most of the people who submit tunes for these do not copyright them.

Additionally (although I am not an expert on the subject), as long as you can prove when you wrote a piece, registering it with the coyright folks is only a formality. More than a few people I know do this by sending themselves registered mail with a copy of the work inside it. If it's unopened, I believe that counts as proof in a court of law.

...and yes, it is only one tune per person.

dB

dB;

The "poor man's copyright" self mailer is inadmissible because it can be too easily tampered with. However, a work is technially copyrighted from the moment of inception. Registry is indeed a formality, but is certainly recommended. You can do a whole body of work at once, rather than one song at a time, if you want. If you're an ASCAP member, you can also register each song with them as soon as its written. That's not the same thign, but it certainly helps your burden of proof.

Did you get my mail, dB?

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Originally posted by Llarion:

Yes, the VS series burns in Redbook. Unless the final mixdown is tight, the CD will need its front and back trimmed and faded though. At least that's how it was with mine... That's why I always brought it into the PC for final mastering. the VS's D/A converters aren't terrific, but it still sounds good...

Why would it matter that the D/A's suck on the 1680? When you burn a CD from the SCSI port on the 1680, it is a digital copy of the two tracks you selected in the Mastering room.

As far as trimming it, just go into track edit, and trim so that the song starts a few frames after "0" and then trim at the end, and you should be cool.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by phestic:

[qb]More than a few people I know do this by sending themselves registered mail with a copy of the work inside it. If it's unopened, I believe that counts as proof in a court of law....dB

I've heard of this, and have done it myself.

However....

What good is it if you have to open it to prove it's what you say it is?

I've always wondered that....

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Originally posted by Soundscape Studios.:

Originally posted by Llarion:

Why would it matter that the D/A's suck on the 1680? When you burn a CD from the SCSI port on the 1680, it is a digital copy of the two tracks you selected in the Mastering room.

As far as trimming it, just go into track edit, and trim so that the song starts a few frames after "0" and then trim at the end, and you should be cool.

the D/A strangeness part comes into play during acquisition, really, so I guess talking about it in terms of the burn process is out of context... but anyway, no matter how good the mics and preamps and stuff, the end result is only as good as the weak link, I guess. Interestingly though, it's only a true digital copy if you acquired in 16 bit. If you did 20 bit, or 24, it dithers down to 16 when you burn the CD, and some folks claim that the dithering sounds "lossy", as if they can hear it. (Though I've never listen through Adams, maybe you CAN hear it.. :D ) Apparently, with higher bitrate acquisitions, you only retain it if you move to computer via the optical interface. Personally, I think it sounds fine as it is; I only perceived that overall, my VS sounded "cooler", more "sterile", where my Korg sounds slightly "warmer", all else being equal. And even then I think it's all squarely in the realm of "audiophile esoterica" anyway. 99 of 100 regular folk would not hear a difference, ya know? :)

I never did learn to master in the VS; because I moved it outboard from the beginning.

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Archived