Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stereo amps for keyboards?

lrossmusic

Anyone using a stereo amp for their keyboard?

I'm interested in getting a stereo amp and was looking for some suggestions. Want to find one that's suited for small rooms and not too difficult for a middle aged guy to move around. :)

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think for most jobs you could use powered monitors/speakers on stands. There's a lot to choose from and I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions here. There are many times I wish I had a few small powered monitors. I carry a fair amount of equipment to jobs and more isn't always necessarily better.

I'd look at some powered speakers.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Yup. The programs in my Kurzweil PC2X sound best when played in stereo, especially the piano programs. There's much more depth and realism to the sound.

This is why I suggested to Lee that if a keyboard player is going to use that new BOSE system, he/she would need TWO poles and TWO subwoofers. Unfortunately for me, this would be cost-prohibitive at $4,000.

I usually monitor my rig with ONE JBL EON 15-PAK. However, a stereo signal is sent to the FOH.

The only problem I have with using a stereo keyboard amp like Motion-Sound is the clarity of using it for solo piano work. I'm just not convinced that it has an uncolored treble response as one would need for this. I've heard that it sounds fine for organ programs though.

The PC2X has a great-sounding B3/Leslie emulation. Since it has so many varied programs, I've found it best simply to use two high-quality, neutral-sounding speakers and a strong power amp to get the dynamics and the bass-response I need to accurately reproduce solo piano and B3 programs. Honestly, I just haven't found a stand-alone stereo keyboard amp that can do the job. For reasonably high volume, strong dynamics, as well as a convincing low-end, a 15" woofer is required. Maybe a 12" woofer with some EQ could do OK in a small room, but I'm sticking with the 15" - preferably in a 3-way system like this: EAW FR153z . I use two of these for PA and/or solo work if I need the volume. What I'm looking for is the clarity of sound I get with my studio monitors, but the volume, bass, and dynamics that I need from a PA-type speaker.

All speakers are a compromise. The best solution is to find a pair with the compromises that you can live with.

Happy Holidays!

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Here I am going against the grain again. I used to run stereo thru a Carver power amp and two Peavey speakers (15" woof/horn tweeters) but on most stages I ended up not hearing the stereo effect because of stage layout, or the guys on the other side of the stage couldn't hear me and would turn one towards them. I ditched them and went with one small Roland amp tipped up towards my ear, and now go with in-ears (again in mono, as the guitarist uses the other channel for his mix).

Stereo sounds great, but I was just never able to set up correctly to enjoy it.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I use two Motion Sound KT-80s in stereo. They are only 28 lbs each and sound great. I modified mine so they can lean back without needing an amp stand. They are a great value and plenty loud for monitoring and even full sound if there's no PA.

See these two threads for additional information:

KT-80 Benefits

How to tilt a KT-80

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by eric:

I use two Motion Sound KT-80s in stereo.

Regards,

Eric

Eric, maybe I should give the KT-80s another listen since you like 'em so much. :P

Are you playing piano through them or just organ?

Like I said, all speakers are a compromise. Frankly, the BIGGER the speaker - the heavier it is. I wish I could find a speaker that I like as much as the EAWs that aren't as heavy.

I'l bet TWO KT-80s, with spinning rotors, sound awesome!

Happy holidays, eric!

Gas :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I generally play through a pair of JBL Eons with a tiny mixing desk... or you can DI and plug straight in which is great! Actually i've been thinking about getting 2 more powered amps but the old JBL's are a bit much cash 4 me ($3000 NZ each!). Does anyone know other brands that do powered amps of a similar quality and better price?
I'll rock, you roll.

Thanks to all again for all the great tips. These forums are absolutely invaluable for guys like me and I definitely don't take your help for granted. Anyway I recently got a Motif rack which has some very good piano sounds IMHO especially in headphones through my home system. I took it to a gig the other day for the first time and played it through a Peavey KB100 that a friend of mine let me use. It was just a small office party so I couldn't take a stereo PA if I had one and I was indeed grateful that my buddy let me use his amp. OTOH the Peavey KB100 didn't do much for the Motif rack sounds and I was again painfully reminded of how badly I need something smaller than a PA that sounds decent. I know it's probably too much to expect that the Motif rack can sound as good as it sounds in headphones through only a small amp but hopefully I can graduate from the Peavey KB100 a little when I add up my little Christmas gig money this year. :)

Eric , those KT-80's sound very tempting at 28lbs

each plus your tilt modification is ingenious!

Mackie is about to introduce some smaller (10" woofer) powered speakers; THE SRM350.

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm350/images/srm350_i.gif

I don't know how these will sound or how much they will cost. However, if they sound anything like the SRM450, they're worth an audition.

Like I said, all speakers are a compromise. Consider the cost, weight, size, and sound & choose those that will work best for your needs.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays!

Originally posted by eric:

I use two Motion Sound KT-80s in stereo. They are only 28 lbs each and sound great. I modified mine so they can lean back without needing an amp stand. They are a great value and plenty loud for monitoring and even full sound if there's no PA.

Yes, after debating over a MoSound KP2000S (stereo amp), 2 Barbettas, or 2 KT-80s I went with Eric's advice on the KTs. Been very happy.

Thanks, Eric! :thu:

For the gigs I play, the 2 KTs seems ample (to date 500-person clubs on avg). One amp at 100W doesn't seem like it'd be enough without reinforcement from the house, even as a monitor, because I play with a loud drummer and a guitarist who can also get loud. Usually, we have access to house PA, but our last gig it proved good to have control of the stage volume with the amps.

The KTs have XLR outs, so you can go stereo to the house without toting (or expecting to be provided with) extra DI boxes.

Also, I've found the amps work best when elevated and tilted. I've been doing that with crates and blocks but will be getting proper amp stands soon.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Mackie is about to introduce some smaller (10" woofer) powered speakers; THE SRM350.

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm350/images/srm350_i.gif

I don't know how these will sound or how much they will cost. However, if they sound anything like the SRM450, they're worth an audition.

Like I said, all speakers are a compromise. Consider the cost, weight, size, and sound & choose those that will work best for your needs.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays!

Neat. I use a pair of SRM450s. If these are lighter they could be ideal - the SRM450's basically idle - they are overkill, but they sound so nice.

I never did hear an answer to this - how are the KT-80s on acoustic piano?
Sorry, I missed the follow up question posted previously by Gas.

I'm using the stereo KT80 rig for both piano and organ (Yamaha S90 and Roland VK7). Since the KT80s are standard combo amps (no rotating horns like the Pro3T or KBR series), I use the internal Leslie sim on my organ in stereo.

To answer the question about acoustic piano, the KT80s sound great amplifying digital piano sounds. They are not as bass happy as using a 15" speaker and I think that is a good thing. I've never had any issues with being not loud enough and the stereo spread helps make piano playing even more inspiring. I am very pleased with the way the KT80s handle any sound I feed into them!

Regards,

Eric

Yup. You gotta be careful with 15" woofers.

On the one hand, they are great for reproducing the bass of an organ, bass guitar, or the low end of a Moog solo. On the other hand, they can be overpowering in the low-midrange - they can easily muddy the mids.

The Mackie SRM450 uses a 12" woofer. I believe it can be compensated with EQ (there's a toggle switch on the back of the speaker). Because of its size and mass, it responds faster to transients than a 15" woofer. Does it actually sound better? Of course, that's for YOU to decide! :D

Happy New Year, folks! :thu:

Hey, Lincoln,

You ought to check out the Roland KC350. If you buy a second one, you can hook up a balanced cable between them (via the stereo link jack), patch your keyboards into the amp closest to you, and you have an excellent stereo system. The amp isn't too heavy; I recently used a KC300 (strapped to a light, luggage-style hand cart with an S80, music stand, X stand, and a heavy bag full of fake books) on a hotel gig, and it was quite manageable, and sounded good at all volume levels.

Roger

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

The only problem I have with using a stereo keyboard amp like Motion-Sound is the clarity of using it for solo piano work. I'm just not convinced that it has an uncolored treble response as one would need for this. I've heard that it sounds fine for organ programs though.

I agree with you on this. I have been using a KBR-3D for the past 4 years. It is great as a leslie but not as accurate as a keyboard amp ( it's still better than most others). I ended up using a Behringer DSP8024 on the keyboard side. This allows me to Auto EQ to the environment, resulting in a big difference in clarity. :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I already have a KBR-M. How would adding a KT-80 work so I'd have a l and r channel for piano and ep? The v-5 is mono. I guess you could use the lines out on both amps to the house. So I guess the question is do I spend the money on amps, or on upgrading my Campagnolo 10 speed group? I think, amp.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Based on advice I received in an earlier thread, I tried the Samson Resolve 65A powered monitors ($239 a pair for open box units at Music123) with my S90 last weekend. The sound was awesome! Organs were full, pads rich, and piano/ep cut through the guitar fog.

That said, they are too fragile for frequent use as-is. I've got to rig up something like heavy metal mesh covers to protect the exposed cones and handles. Also need to find a suitable case.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

I wonder if the Alesis powered studio monitors might double as stage monitors. As little as I gig and as much a I use my rig in a studio/mix/practice setting...might this be a viable option?
Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Originally posted by daveloving:

I already have a KBR-M. How would adding a KT-80 work so I'd have a l and r channel for piano and ep? The v-5 is mono. I guess you could use the lines out on both amps to the house. So I guess the question is do I spend the money on amps, or on upgrading my Campagnolo 10 speed group? I think, amp.

I also have a KBR-M. I have wondered what 2 KBR-Ms in stereo with a small powered sub would sound like. I'll bet it would sound great. The low end is what is missing in that small wedge amp. It would be a lot to hook up though :(

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Thing is, with 2 kbr-m's you'll have one of the rotating horns just rotating with no input from my V5, a mono unit - only one output, and the other blasting out the v5's output. Lot of wasted rotation. If you have stereo outputs for your b3 clone, then that would work better. That's why I was thinking of just adding a kt-80 for the non v5 channel. I'm trying a little kc-100 roland now with the kbr-m and the stereo is great, plenty of bass for my tastes, but I'd just like a little more juice. Also you'd have one channel with a tube preamp - sort of like the wasted rotation problem? Anything to keep 'em off balance.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I always go stereo.

I like using a separate mixer (Mackie 1202VLZ) and amp (Crown PowerTech 2). As far as monitoring, I've always been partial to a pair of floor wedges over cabinets. Right now I'm using Yamahas.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived