Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Laptop for live soft synths

Chest Rockwell

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it all depends on how you configure your system, which softsynths, how many and which host you're planning on running.

I have a PIII 750mHz with 256MB of RAM and run B4, Lounge Lizard and a Triangle with no problems. I have the Echo Indigo PCMCIA sound card for low latency.

Its a Dell Latitude laptop, I bought it on ebay from a refurb company for $600. The Indigo costs $99 and is considered by many to be very high quality and a bargain at that price. I replaced the keyboard in the laptop for $15 and am currently looking for a replacement battery. I usually just plug it in, but one time in studio the engineer told me I was giving him a hum, so I unplugged and let the battery take over and it fixed the problem.

I run a Sony PCG-V505BX Laptop ($1500). Extra RAM was another couple of hundred (takes me to 1GB). Use the RME HDSP Cardbus to Multiface ($875). Steinberg's V-Stack for VST hosting ($50).

MIDI channels 1-3: NI B4

5, 6: Atmosphere

7: FM7

8: Pro-52

9-16: Kontakt

Streaming samples and audio off the internal hard drive. Recommend PCMCIA as dobawsa above. The RME can be driven to low latency without putting a lot of stress on the CPU.

Hum can be a big deal. I tried out a Compaq 2500 something and the hum was off the chart (with the power supply plugged regardless of interface). The Sony is perfectly quiet.

Busch.

Yes, hear, hear on the RAM; I've since learned via my new (6mos. in now) job that having, say, 1GB of RAM on an XP system matters a helluva lot more than the processor speed. :D Probably having a fast bus is next most important after that. Then disk speed.

The more you can limit any reason to swap to disk, the better.

Probably best approach is see what kind of system can support 1GB of RAM and then fill in all the rest of the features after that (don't go below 1.5GHz for CPU, though, ultimately).

Note that all that RAM will eat battery power, so assume you're plugged in most of the time with this kind of system.

rt

For live apps... get a Titanium Mac G4.

My current setup:

* Mac Ti G4 @ 667 Mhz, 512 RAM

* FireWire 410

* Oxygen 8

* REASON

* LIVE

Solid as a rock :thu:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

For live apps... get a Titanium Mac G4.

My current setup:

* Mac Ti G4 @ 667 Mhz, 512 RAM

* FireWire 410

* Oxygen 8

* REASON

* LIVE

Solid as a rock :thu:

I would change that to:

- iBook G4, 1 GHz, 60 GB HD, 512 RAM

- M-audio FireWire 410

- Oxygen 8, Radium 49/61

- REASON

- LIVE

- LOGIC

The iBook has a G4 now and is much more uptodate than a TiBook 667, plus it has OSX 10.3 too. You'll miss out on PCMCIA slots though.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Originally posted by GusTraX:

[QB]For live apps... get a Titanium Mac G4.

My current setup:

* FireWire 410

[QB]

I'm putting together a live rig too. How has the 410 treated you? I'm thinking about getting one, and it would (probably) be a slam dunk it if weren't for the fact that it doesn't have Giga (GSF) drivers.

BTW - Does anyone know why M-Audio doesn't seem to support Giga on portable systems like the Quattro and Firewire 410?

I tried to use Logic originally but had to move away from it because I couldn't get it to work the way I needed it to. With my current setup I can go the entire night and not touch the mouse or computer keyboard. I have different synths assigned to different MIDI channels and use MIDI program change to control the sounds. With Logic, only the selected soft synth is active (one at a time) for input play. Plus there is no easy way to assign different MIDI INPUT channels to different soft synths. On a Mac I guess I would use Cubase SX or maybe DP.

Busch.

Originally posted by PatAzz:

I'm putting together a live rig too. How has the 410 treated you? I'm thinking about getting one, and it would (probably) be a slam dunk it if weren't for the fact that it doesn't have Giga (GSF) drivers.

BTW - Does anyone know why M-Audio doesn't seem to support Giga on portable systems like the Quattro and Firewire 410?

I am using the FW 410 for my live shows AND for the M-world tours where everything must work perfectly (both situations!!). The FW 410 really works like a charm.

M-Audio -the company I work at- does not support GSFI for any portable/mobile device. Maybe some competitor might figure a way to make a portable (USB/FW port) device work with GSIF, but currently only PCI and PCM/CIA interfaces support the protocol.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I know my Tascam US-428 us USB and supports GSIF athough since then own Gigastudio, guess they figured they should develop drivers for it. Why not just use something like Halion and just import your Giga files into that and then use ASIO/WDM or whatever instead. I think Gigastudio is slowly on its way out.

Archived