Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bridal Chorus chords . . .

shniggens

Here I go again . . .

I played it once before for a friend ( I bought the sheet music ). Now I am planning on playing it at my own wedding next year. I want to play the wedding march for my lady as she walks down the isle.

I have since lost the sheet music, but that doesn't matter. I don't want to play it the traditional way. Does anyone have the chord progression handy?

Anyone experiment with the piece and substitute chords or rearrange it any? I think I will just arpeggiate the hell out of it! :D

Thanks.

Amateur Hack

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd do it with some New Orleans blues/gospel style. Here's the traditional harmonization for the main phrase:

Am/f#, B7, Em, Dm/F, C/G, G7, C

Here's a blues/gospel re-harmonization:

Am6, B7, Emflat5, Bb9, C/G, G7, C

For extra credit, I would do a gospel turnaround like this:

C, Dm, D#dim, E7, to go back to the Am6

It would be done as a bluesy waltz. (a-one two three, a-one two three, a-one two three, a-one two three) to bring some bounce into it.

Just a thought. Hope you like it. :)

Jerry

Shniggens, don't make it too bouncy. Your lady needs to walk up the aisle and will be nervous as it is.

You can put a little swing in the thing, but leave it in a manner that she's not obligated to skip toward the preacher. :D

- Jeff

Hmmmmmmmm . . . wonderful ideas, BUUUUUTTTTT -

I think I want to give it more of a pretty, flowing feel (hence the arpeggios), with maybe a more new-age flavor.

I'm going to try the Blues/New Orleans arrangment just for giggles.

I thought the original was written in Bb?

Amateur Hack

Originally posted by Jerry Aiyathurai:

I'd do it with some New Orleans blues/gospel style. Here's the traditional harmonization for the main phrase:

Am/f#, B7, Em, Dm/F, C/G, G7, C

Jerry

I thought the original was like:

Am6, B7, B7/E Em, Dm/F, C/G, G7, C

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Wait, wait, wait!!!!

Due to my inexperience with the Matrimonial side of music, I inadvertantly named the "Wedding March" instead of the "Bridal Chorus". :o

I meant the Bridal Chorus, and changed the title to correct my error.

OK, so howz bouts some Bridal Chorus ideas (chords). :D

Amateur Hack

Okay...how the hell are you going to be tickling the ivories at the moment the bridal chorus starts, which is right after the whole "You may now kiss the bride, I pronounce you husband and wife" part?

Will you kiss your new wife, and immediately leap to a Steinway grand to be-bop your way through the march?

Tell us more about these logistics. :D

- Jeff

Here's a thought:

I played at my wedding...well, sort of. I sequenced all of the music, and had one of my musician friends start all of the sequences (except the one that he loaded the wrong file in which I quickly fixed ;) ). Anyway, I also wrote the part when my wife came down the isle (well, I wrote her a song which I also got a lot of praise from, that others have used here in the Atlanta area). The point is, not unless you really don't want to, this is the perfect opportunity to display your talents to your wife to be, especially when the music is centered around her. I do at least 2 weddings a month and the traditional wedding songs, except the Lord's Prayer, are being replaced with other songs. In two years, I've played the traditional music once. Write her a song and surprise her. It will mean the world to her. Oh yeah, make sure that your soloist can sing well enough to really bring your song out. It worked real well for me. It even helped to justify why I have to buy and have so much gear!!!! :wave:

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

The chords that Jerry gave were for the Mendelssohn wedding march and that is traditionally used at the end of the ceremony. The Bridal Chorus (from Lohengrin by Wagner ... bum dum dum daa) is traditionally used for the walk from the back of the church to the altar.

Are you looking for both marches or just the music for the initial entrance?

I could scan both from my fake book and convert the page to a RTF document which Word works with. It would probably be a pretty big file as it's a 'picture'. If you have a cable connection, it wouldn't be a problem. Let me know.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Yeah Dave, that would be much appreciated!

And yes, I am just looking for the Bridal Chorus . . . I'm just going to play as she is walking down the isle. I just want the lead sheet, so that I may play and improvise with it a little. I find it hard to improvise with full sheets, as I get distracted by the "real" music.

Maybe I can write a song based on the Bridal Chorus chord progression? Hmmmmmmmmmm . . .

Amateur Hack

I realize this is a differing point of view, but - don't you want to be watching your beautiful, radiant bride as she is walking toward you in a state of romantic bliss ....rather than performing music. Why not just have your best musician friend play the wedding march for you, so you can enjoy the magic of the moment fully?

Just my .02 worth.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Well, I'm hoping that I can set up the keyboard in a position where I CAN watch my lovely bride walk up the isle, and play at the same time.

I just know she would appreciate me playing music for her. It would be more personal for the both of us.

Amateur Hack

I've scanned the page from my fake book. The first page of this weddingmusic.rtf is blank and the second page contains the music.

The size of the document (which was created using Word) is a little over 500k. I've uploaded it to my web site and you can download from there. Go to http://members.home.nl/davehorne/weddingmusic.rtf

If for some reason that doesn't work, contact me personally. Remember the first page is blank. Good luck and have a nice wedding ... a tax deduction is always a good reason to celebrate. ;)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived