Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

close to buying a Clavia Nord Electro!

dissident

I'm close to deciding to get a Clavia Nord Electro, anyone want to talk me out of buying one?

I need a great keyboard for band rehersals and live gigs. I wan't to use it to play organ, rhodes, piano... I thing the electro orgen sounds awesome! I'm a student so money is an issue, which is the reason I need a all in one keyboard with both organ and piano sounds. I this set up worth the money? Are there other ones that kick clavias ass? A while I was thinking about hooking up a keyboard to a laptop, with halion or B4 for example, but that doesn't seem to be as reliable. I like the USB feature with nord electro which you can uppdate the sounds with.

thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dissident!

Go for the Electro - you won´t be dissapointed, It sounds like the thing for you. The acoustic pianos are the weakest thing on the Electro, but I´m happy with them. For grand piano sounds, i use the CP80 sample, and for most other applications I use the upright sample with a little distortion. I see them as a bonus, since I have other, better piano samples too. A laptop running GigaPiano, Lounge Lizard, B4 and that virtual clav could be a solution too, but, like you said, it may be less reliable and a less complete solution than a dedicated gigging board. And you wouldn´t get the waterfall keys that way!

/J :D nas

I have a Nord Electro and think the electric pianos and organ are among the best, if not THE best, at emulating those instruments. The acoustic piano is definitely weak, but if you're playing with a band (no solo stuff) and doing mostly chords, that will sound fine. If it still doesn't work, you could hook up with a used Kurzweil micropiano for $250 onr something down the line, I'd imagine.

Clavia offers updates on their site, too. The newer stereo acoustic piano is an improvement, and I ended up replacing Rhodes2 with the Rhodes4 (greater dynamic range, I think). But the beauty is, you can download patches and if youdon't like them, the original patches are also up there, soyou could download those and reload the originals.

It's a great instrument.

[edit] I forgot to add that if you click on the link to my band's website below and go to "songs.htm", you can listen to 3 song samples ... the first has Electro organ (playing a padding role, tho), the second has one of the Rhodes sounds. The third song does not use the Electro.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I own the Nord Electro and i did all the upgrades. It has excelent electric pianos and wurlies and a quite convicing clav (better the one in Nord LEad). The piano sounds are the weak point of the instrument, but, as the friend above allready mentioned, if you don't do solo piano stuff, it's OK for covering parts, chord ect. The organ sounds are great, but the key click is VERY annoying (you can fix it adding some EQ, but still...). But, to say the truth, i stil prefer using "real" than simulation drawbars when covering organ parts. Therefore i play along with my Korg CX-3. Those three instruments, (Korg CX 3 for hammond, Electro for any other sound and Nord Lead 2 for synths) are covering most, if not all, of my live and studio needs. Bottom line, i recomend you Nord Electro - playin' the hammond part with it is not that a big problem. After all, you're from Sweden, as Clavia is!
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Originally posted by yannis D:

the key click is VERY annoying (you can fix it adding some EQ, but still...).

Yannis,

I hope you know you can set the click level (0-8)? just press shift and config until the display reads C and any number 0-8. From here you can set the click to any level you like.

/J :D nas

Dear Jonas

Thanx very much for the advice. It has been veeery helpful - i don't have to carry along the CX 3 or -even worst- the bulcky Leslie any more! Every time i swicth on my keyboard i will be thinking of you.

Regards from Athens

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I just got my Electro 2 yesterday (ordered a week ago), played it all night last night :D to get to know it and to get used to the keyboard action -which IMO is decent also for piano and EP.

I'll be taking it with me as the only piece of gear for a pub gig tonight & tomorrow night - at least for this bands material (50's/60's/70's rock and rockabilly stuff, mainly piano & organ + some EP)I know it'll be the one I'll be using for some time from now on.

I agree with geekgurl and yannis on the piano, not great, but does ok for rock piano in a band. The other sounds just blew me away! Good playability + value for my euros.

But then again, I'm coming from two Korg workstations...which on the other hand are great for other (non-vintage) stuff.

Got a good price too on the NE, so I'm satisfied. I'm just eager to see how the gigs will go with this board.

-Ano

Archived