Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QS8 to S/PDIF, possible?

shniggens

Galiwaves topic ont the Audiophile card has me interested . . . can I hook up my Alesis QS8 to the S/PDIF input/output of the card? I know the Alesis has some digital outs (I'm not looking at mine, so I can't remember the details) including a fiber and some kind of coaxial jack.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

Amateur Hack

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by paostby:

The QS8 digital ouputs are most likely S/PDIF. I would just try either, the coaxial or the optical. It won't hurt anything.

You won't hurt anything, but you'd be wasting your time. The digital out on the QS8 is ADAT lightpipe ONLY.

No S/PDIF.

Interesting about the data format of the coaxial jack on the QS8.

Also, the CO2 does not convert ADAT to S/PDIF. There are specific converters for this.

From the QS8 manual:

"The QS can output digital audio directly into an Alesis ADAT, ADAT-XT, or

ADAT-compatible multitrack digital recorder via fiber optic cable.

The QSs [DIGITAL OUT] carries all four audio outputs of the QS (Main and Aux,

Left and Right) on a single fiber optic cable.

Note: This will not plug directly into a tape deck which uses S/PDIF or AES/EBU

for its digital input! A digital audio format converter of some sort must be used."

That CO2 won't work, you need something to convert from ADAT optical to S/PDIF. (The coax jack is for sample word clock so you can sync it externally.) Alesis used to make a unit called the AI-1 which is an awesome box, you might find one on ebay. Kurzweil made a converter also, they might still. Alesis now makes an AI-3, which converts from ADAT to AES/EBU and maybe S/PDIF. I'm sure a few other companies make ADAT to S/PDIF converters.

However, IMO, I'm not sure if this is the best place to spend your money. The sonic benefit will be very slight. You'd be better off spending a few hundred bucks on a cool plug-in, sample library or softsynth than a digital converter for your QS-8. -jl

Originally posted by shniggens:

ok . . . . hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I just want to free up a mixer channel! My rationale is that I can do this by hooking directly up to the soundcard S/PDIF connectors.

There are a bunch of sound cards that have Adat interfaces. They are not consumer level units of course. The QS8 outputs for channels corresponding to the four outputs and you get 18 bits of output rather than the 16 you get from the D/A convertors. In my view the instrument sounds noticably better through the ADAT outs, plus the analog outs can be noisy.

So the C02 won't work? Why not?

Because the C02 only converts between optical & coaxial S/PDIF, it doessn't do ADAT (which is an 8channel format). The other "gotcha" is that the Alesis only outputs 48khz, so if you record at any other sample rate, you'd have to put a sample rate converter into the equation as well.

Sorry for the bad news.

Scott

Originally posted by S_Gould:

So the C02 won't work? Why not?

The other "gotcha" is that the Alesis only outputs 48khz, so if you record at any other sample rate, you'd have to put a sample rate converter into the equation as well.

Sorry for the bad news.

Scott

Not so - 44.1Khz and 48Khz are selectable so you can get either on the ADAT interface.

(At least on the original QS8 - don't know about the .1 and the .2 deleted this interface)

This will do it. Amazing someone actually has one for sale. I remember them not doing well. Not much of a market I suppose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2557093266&category=23785

"When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces,,...I just know they're about to jab me with something." -Homer J. Simpson

There are lots and lots of toys that will convert between ADAT Optical (lightpipe) and S/PDIF. Or, there are rather inexpensive cards that accept ADAT Optical straight out. And nearly every digital mixer takes ADAT Optical as standard or an option.

So, you can indeed use the little red glowing light on the back of your synth. Whoo-hooo! :)

- Jeff

Byrdman -

Sorry, my bad. I made an assumption based on the 48khz legend on the wordclock, and the mis-information I was given by a sales rep. I would have been using the digital outs If I knew they would do 44.1 without changing the pitch (what the rep. said would happen if I fed a 44.1k clock). Live and learn!!

Scott

Archived