Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NFL survival pool

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Of course, this means that if Chicago miraculously comes back wins...I'm the last man standing.

Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! :evil:

Of course, that won't happen, but it was a nice thought. :D

Yes, but it suuuuure came close to happening, didn't it? ;)

Week 7 results

--------

Weasel -

Denver won

Green Bay won

Minnesota won

Indy won

Buffalo won

Tennessee won

Dallas won

Ouizel -

Indy won

Oakland won

Pittsburgh won

Green Bay won

Buffalo won

Tennessee won

Seattle won

Llarion -

TB won

Seattle won

KC won

St. Louis won

Buffalo won

Miami won

Cleveland lost - eliminated

Bunny -

Detroit won

Minnesota won

Indy won

Denver won

Dallas won

St. Louis won

Seattle won

Eric Worthington -

SF won

New Orleans won

TB won

Denver won

Philadelphia won

Tennessee won

Seattle won

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Yes, but it suuuuure came close to happening, didn't it? ;)

I was actually bummed when I thought Chicago was going to take it. The pool is fun, and I hope it goes on for awhile longer -- but I'd feel a lot differently if there was money involved. ;)

- Jeff

Speaking as a vicitm of the week 1 Dolphins conflagration...

Damn, I can't believe the Bengals didn't wipe out some of the pool this week. The Ravens have been better than anticipated, the Bengals are the Bengals.

Ride the Lions and the Cards! That's my advice. The Texans aren't trustworthy, and now that Bengals have actually put one away, they are a dangerous pick, even against superior teams.

Sad to say, my recommendation might swith to the morally defeated, spiritually bereft New York Giants if they dont pull off the upset in Minnesota this week. Fassell's crisis has come early this year. I wouldn't pick against them just yet.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by Magpel:

...if they dont pull off the upset in Minnesota this week.

Don't hold your breath, bro. 2000 was not that long ago, and there are too many Vikings who were there for that debacle...
The 2000 rout was payback for the '98 collapse, the only playoff game I've ever been to. :cry: So this is getting to be a complex rivalrty, pitting the worst playoff collapse of the Fassell era (until last year's :cry: ) against the worst playoff showing of the Culpepper-Moss era, or maybe in Vikes history (which is saying something!) These teams bring out the worst in each other. Anything can happen.

They Giants may have already f*cked their playoff chances, but note this and note it well--they will start scoring the football. This is just like last year--racking up the yards but not scoring. They'll get it sorted, but it will probably be too late. The NFC is not quite the same mire of mediocity this year, though I still don't think there's a great team out there, and I've got at least one quality imported six pack riding on that opinion. ;)

But Back On-T--why don't you all pick the Cardinals next week? Can't you feel it? It's a Fever! Desert Cardinal spotted Fever.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

The NFC is not quite the same mire of mediocity this year, though I still don't think there's a great team out there, and I've got at least one quality imported six pack riding on that opinion. ;)

So it's gotta be 14-2 to be a quality team? OK, fine. Minnesota goes 14-2 this year. Sixpack of McEwans Scotch Ale to back that up.

Originally posted by BUNNY.:

WOW! The Raiders are playing at home tonight, and I will actually get to watch it on TV!!! No blackout. Incredible! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

I'll tell ya, brother Bunny - you ain't been missin' much... :rolleyes:;)

dB

Originally posted by BUNNY.:

WOW! The Raiders are playing at home tonight, and I will actually get to watch it on TV!!! No blackout. Incredible! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

Win or lose, I'm a happy camper tonight! :)

GO RAIDERS!!!

I've heard it's blacked out. Are you within the blackout range???

Hope not :(

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Well, it was fun. I got further than I figured; last year I departed in week 1. I'm still ashamed. I'm much better with the spread than I am picking 'em straight up. I kinda, sorta, uh, *ahem* worked in the industry a long long time ago, and used to be I was gold. (ran 87.5% with the spread for the year in 1986, but that was a long time ago, in a place where it was legal...)

Maybe next year, alongside the survivor pool, we can run a separate thread where you pick all the games *with the spread*, to see what kind of living you'd make. Every game would be a hypothetical $100 bet, (we'd find a line to standardize on, freeze the lines at 12:30PM EST for the late posters) and you tally your take for the week, including the juice, and the richest guy at the end of the year wins glory, honor, and the ridicule of his friends.

Between the Bucs losing to a team they should have mopped the deck with, and departing the pool, and going 5-8 total, I may not even watch football for a couple o weeks. This was a horrific week!

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

WOOHOO! The game wasn't blacked out!!!

Man, it was GREAT to watch the Raiders play at home on TV! That's the first time this season.

And they didn't completely suck! Even when they brought in P'Tooey-a-soso-po! ('scuse me) In fact, they were within a few feet of tying it up right at the end of the game. That was cool, especially against an undefeated team like KC.

I thought it was a good game. Most enjoyable!

I certainly hope Gannon's shoulder heals fast, but Tuiasosopo played well tonight, in my book. I mean, think of the pressure. He did well.

Sorry, this should probably be in the Official NFL thread, but I'm pretty stoked about the game.

Wow, survival pool final four! How did that happen???

Wow Bunny, this is a bit weird. You're wondering if you actually get to see the Raiders playing when they're merely what, 20 miles away, yet sitting in a smalltown in the middle of nowhere in Scotland, I got to watch the game live.

Good luck final four, well done so far!

Thanks, flyscots.

Lessee, Week 8 (wow!) I'll take Miami. :thu:

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Hmmm. Week eight. Hmmm.

Well, I was planning, initially, on taking the Seahawks at Cincinnati. But there's something weird about Cincinnati right now. It's almost like they're not as hopeless as I'd come to expect over the last few years. It's to the point where it wouldn't be entirely inconceivable for them to surprise someone like Seattle, who may be getting a little complacent in their new-sound success.

I haven't used KC yet, but Buffalo's a loose cannon -- you can't say how they're going to do from week to week, and to be honest, KC didn't look all that shit-hot against the Raiders last night.

I briefly considered taking the 49ers over the hapless Cards (that should be their full name...the Hapless Cards), but SF is another bastion of inconsistency.

So, that pretty much leaves one choice...

Jeff's Pick for Week Eight: The Miami Dolphins.

Go fish!

- Jeff

Week 8

--------

Weasel -

Denver won

Green Bay won

Minnesota won

Indy won

Buffalo won

Tennessee won

Dallas won

Miami

Ouizel -

Indy won

Oakland won

Pittsburgh won

Green Bay won

Buffalo won

Tennessee won

Seattle won

Miami

Bunny -

Detroit won

Minnesota won

Indy won

Denver won

Dallas won

St. Louis won

Seattle won

SF

Eric Worthington -

SF won

New Orleans won

TB won

Denver won

Philadelphia won

Tennessee won

Seattle won

Indy

dB

Sorry to see you go Bunny. And yes, I'll be hard pressed to put any of my weekly picks on either Bay Area team this season.

Of course, like Dave says, if there's Weasel/Ouizel carnage from a San Diego upset, it's all over for this year anyway. I don't think that's going to happen, but the Fins screwed up enough people in this pool already to put it well in the realm of possibilities.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff the Halloweasel:

Sorry to see you go Bunny.

Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, it's gonna be weird not being in the pool after eight weeks of this routine. I still feel like I need to make a pick for week nine. Heh.

I've definitely had fun participating in the KC NFL Survival Pool 2003. Many thanks to dB for hosting this forum and the pool.

Maybe I'll join you guys in the overall weekly picks in the Official NFL Thread. That looks like fun. I'll certainly be joining y'all next year for Survival Pool 2004!

Oh, yeah, one more thing...

GO DOLPHINS! :freak:

:D

Originally posted by Jeff the Halloweasel:

Of course, like Dave says, if there's Weasel/Ouizel carnage from a San Diego upset, it's all over for this year anyway. I don't think that's going to happen, but the Fins screwed up enough people in this pool already to put it well in the realm of possibilities.

- Jeff

Remember the Arizona SF game. :)

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

*keeping fingers crossed, hoping that we weasels don't get slaughtered in Tempe.*
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Week 8 results

--------

Weasel -

Denver won

Green Bay won

Minnesota won

Indy won

Buffalo won

Tennessee won

Dallas won

Miami won

Ouizel -

Indy won

Oakland won

Pittsburgh won

Green Bay won

Buffalo won

Tennessee won

Seattle won

Miami won

Bunny -

Detroit won

Minnesota won

Indy won

Denver won

Dallas won

St. Louis won

Seattle won

SF lost - eliminated

Eric Worthington -

SF won

New Orleans won

TB won

Denver won

Philadelphia won

Tennessee won

Seattle won

Indy won

...and so, our three intrepid combatants forge ahead, wondering who the Grim Reaper of the Gridiron will claim next...

:rolleyes::D;)

dB

Archived