Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stevie Wonder recs?

Odyssian

Hi there!

Although I have an old record collection in storage, I never managed to buy any Stevie Wonder albums back in the day. Well, now I finally want to fill the void.

I saw a copy of Innervisions at a local store for $16.99. Before I pay full price, I'd thought I'd ask you guys (and gals.. BTW, are there any female members on this board?) what your favorites are.

Thanks for any recommendations. :)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have to say, while I've heard a lot of Stevie Wonder, Innervisions is the only one I own. And I could not give it a higher reccomendation. That's one of those CD's that's constantly in my car. Really not a bad moment on it.

I've heard high praise for Songs in the Key of Life as well. And while Talking Book has "Superstition" on it, the one time I heard that album I wasn't as into it as I was into Innervisions.

My music is like a movie for your ears - Frank Zappa

From that era -Music of my Mind - Talking Book. You know what, just get all of them. Another good one if you like his harmonica stuff is Eivets Rednow (steve wonder backwards) All harmonica tunes. You can't go wrong with Stevie. The tracks are raw, well written, great vocals, and the cat has something to say.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! :) I'll go back and get the Innervisions, and then go from there.

I've always loved Wonder's songs while growing up and would like to hear more. I'm also very interested in his synth use. I know he was a ARP user, and that he used a 2600 (with braille on the front panel) and possibly a 2500. I'd like to hear the types of patches he came up with and how he integrated the sounds into his music.

Anyway, thanks again..

Stevie had an incredible string, once he was fully grown up and knew who he was, of four albums in four years, every song a classic:

Talking Book

Innervisions

Fullingness' First Finale

Songs in the Key of Life

Everyone should have all four.

Hotter Than July is also good.

Cool, so it sounds like I can't go wrong with any CD that I choose. I didn't know there was a DVD available, I might wind up getting that as well. I also didn't think to check amazon.com.

Thanks for the info! :wave:

Stevie is THE Man! My favorite is probably "Songs In The Key Of Life," but all the recordings mentioned are the bomb too.

If you want a reminder of what it sounds like to be able to sing well "live," listen to Stevie's "Natural Wonder", a great live CD.

I can't wait for his new CD to be released!

Marzuki Grinage

Progressive Soul

Free Samples and Downloads

@ http://www.innerphonic.com

Originally posted by Odyssian:

I'd ask you guys (and gals.. BTW, are there any female members on this board?) what your favorites are.

kiddo is really a 26-yr old chinese woman :wave:

Archived