Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TinderArts:

While not a superstar, a health James Thrash ain't that bad.

You could be right but it will take one hell of an effort this season to convince me.

The best receiving effort in Philly this entire season may be from Joe Jurevicius! That was a clinic last night, and that ain't right.

Why can't it be Hines Ward, Terrell Owens & Donovan Mcnabb? *Dreaming*

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Biggus:

Is it possible for Tampa's D to get any better? Holy shit....

I'll say. They pretty much did just about everything right. The James Thrash catch for 45 yards was the only decent play Philly had all night. Luckily, Philly's D played prety well until they got tired...but that is the Gruden way, isn't it? ;)

The Bucs seem to have picked up exactly where they left off last year. If they keep playing like that, I think it's very likely they'll repeat.

...and I agree with Jay - that rookie dropping that fake field goal was a huge turning point. That guy needs to make that catch.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Luckily, Philly's D played pretty well until they got tired...but that is the Gruden way, isn't it? ;)

"Chuckie" Gruden will go down in history as one of the NFL's great tacticians. You can have a great team with poor coaching; you can have great coaching with a talentless team. But when you combine the level of strategy that Gruden employs with the talent (now in both directions) of a team like TB, it's hard to see them losing...ever.

Looking at their schedule, and barring catastrophe, I don't see one team that will definitely beat them this year. Crap.

- Jeff

True Jeff, If you look at just week one's outcomes there isn't a team, but as teams emerge later in the season, several teams may come up to bite them. In fact, in week 5 they face Peyton & Dungy. I also think they'll split with Carolina this year....we'll see. Overall, I'd say they'll lose 3 games or so.
TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Mr.Wow:

That challenge by the Eagles coach for 2nd and 9 OR 1st and 15 was a BAD call.

The Eagles lost all momentum.

Fully agreed. I have no idea what he was thinking...

Between that and the dropped fake field goal, any momentum that the Birds O may have had really seemed to completely vanish, didn't it?

dB

Originally posted by Griffinator:

I dunno. I'm still thinking that the Pats were looking past Buffalo - that's why they got stomped.

There's no way the Pats were looking past the Bills. It was opening day. This rivalry has heated up a lot in the last few years. And with thae additions of Bledsoe, Gash, and especially Malloy, there was a lot of animosity in the air.

The Bills bitch slapped the Patsies on Sunday. Total physical domination!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

There were some close games Sunday. And there were some blowouts. But there were only two teams who dominated really good teams .

Tampa Bay and Buffalo.

WE'RE BACK AMERICA ! ! DEAL WITH IT!!!!

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I can always work up some secondary allegiance to the Bills. They are NY's only true team. I was educated up there in the region. As long as it's not between them and The Giants, Go Bills.

They sort of made Peter King's prediction (Bucs-Bills Super Bowl) look prescient.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

I can always work up some secondary allegiance to the Bills. They are NY's only true team.

Yes, I suppose that's true. Even Gregg Easterbrook (ESPN's "Tuesday Morning QB") calls the Giants and Jets respectively, "Jersey/A" and "Jersey/B".

- Jeff

Originally posted by KHAN:

Originally posted by Griffinator:

I dunno. I'm still thinking that the Pats were looking past Buffalo - that's why they got stomped.

There's no way the Pats were looking past the Bills. It was opening day. This rivalry has heated up a lot in the last few years. And with thae additions of Bledsoe, Gash, and especially Malloy, there was a lot of animosity in the air.

The Bills bitch slapped the Patsies on Sunday. Total physical domination!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm afraid I'm with Khan here - the Bills and Pats never take each other lightly, and this was an especially important game for a bunch of reasons, the Milloy thing just being the icing.

From what little I saw, it appeared that the Bills just ate the Pats alive.

dB

Boggs here... As lopsided as the score was, Buffalo still made a lot of mental mistakes and mistakes from not playing together very long and still they put a serious beating to New England. The team, especially the defense (which we all know wins championships) really has great chemistry and for all the superstars, has a great and professional attitude. I have high hopes for the Bills this year but only if they play up to their potential at all times. Everyone is entitled to have a bad game, but overall, the Bills have a real opportunity this year. I think they have enough professionalism with their personnel to maybe take advantage of the opportunity. I just hope, for the best fans in football (they were the ones who really stoked the fire in Takeo Spikes and management to bring him here) that this is their year. They really deserve it from the front office to the nosebleed section. Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Originally posted by Magpel:

I can always work up some secondary allegiance to the Bills. They are NY's only true team.

Yes, I suppose that's true. Even Gregg Easterbrook (ESPN's "Tuesday Morning QB") calls the Giants and Jets respectively, "Jersey/A" and "Jersey/B".

- Jeff

Dr. Evil voice: MWAAAAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Llarion:

Pittsburgh has the most patient fans in the league
Oh, I dunno, I think maybe TB's fans have been patient... it was a REALLY long wait for greatness.
I wasn't referring to patience in waiting for a championship. I was talking about letting a guy grow into a position without calling for his head in a New York/Philly sort of way. Kordell drove us nuts.

I don't mean to go off on a rant here but:

I think the Bills would have won at least 2 of the super bowls if they had played an aggressive style of defense. They constantly played that 2 deep zone "bend but don't break "bullshit... God that pissed me off. :mad::mad:

The no huddle K-Gun was so prolific, that the prime directive of their defense should have been to get the ball back for the offense as fast as possible. But they were afraid to give up the big play. Levy was a good head coach, but he was too conservative.

Even if they had given up a few big plays, the additional 'three and outs' created would have given the offense many more opportunities. And that offense could put up points fast.

Of course I could be wrong.

:D

But I'm not. ;)

This certainly is a strange kind of "bragging right" though...
Indeed so... :D But, we Bucs folks are so used to grabbing any bits of glory we can; we're not used to this glut... :D

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

You're right that current Tampa Bay fans have had to be patient longer in their wait for greatness than have current Steelers fans: 26 years from inception until they finally won their first Super Bowl last year, compared to Pittsburgh's current 23 year Super Bowl victory drought.

This certainly is a strange kind of "bragging right" though...

No way. We sucked longer and harder than everyone else. The Steelers might have been mediocre for a long time, but we had to endure being the laughingstock of the league. Only the Cardinals and Saints come close, and neither of them went 0-26. (Unless that's still the Saints' playoff record). We stuck by that team through the Bo Jackson draft pick, the Chris Chandler trade, the Ray Perkins debacle, and Bucco Bruce, the NFL's first gay mascot. Least number of wins in the 80's? Thanks to the Bengals and Rams for saving us from the same fate in the '90s? We were worst, and NOBODY CAN TAKE THAT AWAY FROM US!!!

My God, I think he's right. The Bucs sucked about as much and for as long as any team I can think of in most sports.

Hey, you never know. In a few years, we may ne talking it up about the red-hot Bengals or something. :freak:

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Yes, the Bills are for real this year. Again, the skeptical side of me thinks that they're just setting up their fans for another heartbreak, but you never know. Maybe they're not cursed. Yeah.

- Jeff

Jeff,You are right that it was hard to stomach 4 straight super bowl losses, and the harassment that inevitably insued. But, as a glass half full kind of guy :D I like to focus on four great seasons averaging 12 wins a year, and winning every single AFC playoff game ( including a couple against Miami and a 51-3 paisting of the Raiders in the '90 AFC championship game) during that span.

Four really bad days over the course of four great seasons isn't really a hard cross to bear, and the only one that really sticks in my craw is "Wide Right" because we were SOOOOOOOOOOOOO close I could taste it. ;)

Super Bowl repeats aren't rare, but three-peats have never been done.

Whoa, what a night for Philly! The only thing worse than getting your ass kicked is looking over and realizing that the dudes whooping your butt are having a really good time. And you're on national TV.

Super Bowl repeats aren't rare, but three-peats have never been done.
The Packers threepeated twice as NFL champs though, and they are the only NFL team ever to win three straight titles. In 1929, 1930, and 1931, they were declared champions by virtue of their league standing. After the playoff system was instituted, they threepeated again in 1965, 1966, and 1967. If the first Super Bowl had been played in 1965, instead of in 1966, it's likely that Green Bay would have threepeated as Super Bowl champs as well.

Read more here:

Packers History: Championships

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by KHAN:

...including a couple against Miami and a 51-3 paisting of the Raiders in the '90 AFC championship game...

Hey, I think we have a new leader in our Feel Good Post of the Year contest. Gosh, I'd forgot about that game. Thanks, Kahn, I was feeling a little down this morning, but you picked me right up.

Archived