Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What the hell is it called?

shniggens

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BILLEVANS:

I wouldnt be caught dead playing one of those things,rather play the g-damn spoons.

Damn guitards :D

Y'know, I used a KX-5 on a 2000 tour of Canada, and a 2001 tour of the States. One song per show, usually toward the end, if not the closing number. They're corny as hell, but by god, when the keyboard player straps that thing on and comes out front, the audience remembers. It always "worked." But I guess a "jazzer" wouldn't understand the concept of entertaining an audience. :)

k.

Originally posted by ksoper:

Originally posted by BILLEVANS:

I wouldnt be caught dead playing one of those things,rather play the g-damn spoons.

Damn guitards :D

. One song per show, usually toward the end, if not the closing number. They're corny as hell, but by god, when the keyboard player straps that thing on and comes out front, the audience remembers. It always "worked"

k.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. :)

Used in moderation, it could be cool. A nice way to stand up and walk around with the band . . . y'know show off a little; more body gestures than notes . . . like a guitarist.

Amateur Hack

Originally posted by shniggens:

That goofy looking keyboard that's shaped like a guitar? So if I were to search for one on ebay, what would I search for?

Roland AX-1 controller. They stopped making them for a while but they've been re-issued. Hard to play piano type things on them, but great for organ & synth playing. No sounds on board it's just a controller.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Dorky? Wouldn't be caught dead with one?

Sorry, guys, but you need to take a little trip with Mr. Peabody and Sherman back to 1986 to see Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis sporting KX5s in the Janet Jackson "Control" video. The epitome of cool.

The latest one from Roland is called AX-7.

I got myself one about 4 months ago, but I hardly ever use it. And don't play on these things if you're thinking about wearing something with long sleeves, they tend to get under the keybed so you can't push in the notes.

I bought the AX-1 to be able to have true vibrato control. Play left hand like a cello and get real accurate vibrato, not LFO yada yada. Problem is the AX-1 has a dead spopt at the bump on the pitch ribbon, so you can't get a smooth bend. The KX-5 will give you one, as will the Kurzweil 2600X (but I ain't about to strap opne of THOSE on!) :D

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

I think "strap-ons" are cool! (Hmmmmm...!) :D

And who decided it to be; not acceptable and uncool for a keyboardist to occasionally put on one of these and get some time off from the "Rig From Hell"?

I'm thinking about getting one in the near future! Just so that my guitarist knows he shouldn't take his spot in the light for granted! :thu:

Hail to the Hammer-boards!!!

I 'strapped on' my poly 800 a few times. Luckly no one ever took a picture of me :thu:

I tend to agree they are a bit corny, unless you have a cool attitude to go with it. I'll stand behind my keys, thank you.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived