Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Christmas music?

Did you ever notice how many songs we consider "Christmas Carols" have NOTHING at all to do with Christmas? "Jingle Bells," "Winter Wonderland", "Sleigh Ride", "My Favorite Things" to mention a few? How in the hell did this come about? And can you think of any others? Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about others here, but I've never considered those to be Christmas carols. Those are seasonal songs from popular entertainment - probably tied to the commercialization of the holiday by "updating" the music. It's been going on for at least 60 years, so many of these former advertizing tie-ins (like Rudolph), movie and television "special" songs & themes are now "traditional. Scott

Loads of music get thrown into pigeon holes that don't really suit, or give a good description of that style. People have to generalise. Ohh God, that's such a generalisation! Personally Rudolph the Red Nosed reindeer is my favourite, it's got everything, the underdog (or deer) coming up trumps after years of abuse 'cos of how he looks, a guest appearance by santa (he seems to hog the limelight in so many other tunes) and a great support team in Donner, Blitzen and.....(what's the rest of 'em called) Have a cool yule folks :wave: CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

My favorite christmas music is a CD by the Chieftains called "The Bells of Dublin". (Unfortunately, I let someone borrow my CD so I guess I'll have to buy another. Oh, well...) /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived