Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Everyone here needs to go see Soulive

daBowsa

Folks, I'm telling you - if you have any interest in soul, funk or jazz, play keyboards and have a pulse, you need to check these guys out.

I saw them in Boston this weekend, and was again blown away. First off, they're an organ trio and watching the keyboard players left hand is worth the price of admission.

The first time I saw them, he had his Hammond with a D6 on top and he covered all the bass lines on the lower manual. This time around, he has an A-33 (midi'd to a module which I couldn't identify) on top of the organ with the clav above that. So now he's playing the bass lines on the A-33 which allows/forces him to stand the entire show! So not only is he ripping the most amazing bass and lead lines with unreal independance and dexterity, but he's dancing harder than I can while holding a sustained chord!

The bass is running through an 18" JBL sub that he's using as his bench, the clav is through a Messa Boogie tube head and 12" speaker, and the Hammond (A-100?) through what looked to be a 147.

Oh! And when he plays clav (with his right hand) he wah's with his left foot - across his body! Hahahaha - amazing!

Man, did they get the crowd positively bumping! At their merch table after the show, they're selling a DVD documentary/biography on the keyboard player entitled "Right hand, Right brain"!!! It covers him in the studio, talking about music, being in the zone, writing tunes, practicing, l/r hand indifference, some live clips. 82 minutes of quality film/directing about a genius keyboard player...wow!

Anyway, I'm rambling I know, but if you get a chance, all of you owe it to yourself to GO SEE THIS BAND!!!

http://www.soulive.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Checked out their website last week and definitely plan on catching them when they come west. Unfortunately, they won't make it anywhere close to my area until late September. Worse still, they're playing in Monterey which is about a 2 hour drive. :cry:

Originally posted by JimmieWannaB:

Checked out their website last week and definitely plan on catching them when they come west. Unfortunately, they won't make it anywhere close to my area until late September. Worse still, they're playing in Monterey which is about a 2 hour drive. :cry:

So, shall we make this a Bay Area KC'er trek? I'm game. PM me if you are.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

So, shall we make this a Bay Area KC'er trek? I'm game. PM me if you are.
Sounds like a good idea. It's not until September 19th so we'll have to work on remembering it then. By then, I will have officially become an Old Fart, :eek: so we'll depend on your memory instead of mine.

• 1 year later...

I just finished recording these guys at Bonnaroo and for me they were the best set of the stage I recorded.

I talked with the keyboardist after the show and he was joking about how much larger the leg he stands on is than the one he uses for pedals.

The woman playing with Bill Laswell's Material was a better traditional Hammond player, but Soulive was easily the tightest, funkiest group of the bunch!

I saw them last year opening up for Meshell Ndegeochello, and I had the EXACT same experience as Debowsa!!

That bro is a madman on organ and synthbass!! Something you could really feel!!

I don't know how anyone could see them and NOT feel like Debowsa did...unless the house mix was off...

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Superbobus:

Pretty funky stuff, but isn't he playing with his left foot? Well, you saw them so you know.

He does not play pedal bass. He uses his left foot for wah and his right for swell, unless he's standing - then he uses his right foot for balance.

TinderArts - were you recording Bonnaroo for pleasure, a Bonnaroo DVD/CD or a Soulive DVD/CD? Or none of the above?

I heard Bonnaroo is the top grossing event of the year. Last year it was 2nd only to Springsteen's 10 night run at Giant Stadium.

My favorite band of the last 6 months. Many of the albums are available very cheaply for mp3 download on their website - make sure you check it out.

There is a discussion board for the band where I read that the bass is from a Roland JV module. IN the studio it's the Hammond. I can't comprehend how that guy plays such complex and swinging basslines whilst ripping such perfect solos.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I've recorded the "That Tent" stage the last three years for DVD's and other releases. It's a long day (9am-5am) but a great time, with the added plus that I have the luxury of air conditioning. :D

I also found out while at Bonnaroo that a gig I recorded for Tray Anastasio last year is being used in part for the new Phish album "Undermind". I wish they got my name right though. I'm listed as Chistopher Plummer instead of Bill Plummer. (I'd be happy with Christopher's wallet)

Originally posted by Superbobus:

Dabowsa, if you want to check out funky organ stuff with a more jazzy approach and tasteful Rhodes and synth playing as well, check Joshua Redman's Elastic Band, with Sam Yahel! :thu:

Agreed!

Soulive is great live, but I've always been disappointed with their studio efforts.

One band I play with lost our bass player a couple of years ago and I started doing the L/H bass thing. It really is a good gig to get your independence up to snuff. If you have a good listening, anticipating drummer, and can anticipate well yourself, it can make for some cool jamming.

The trick is that you have control over bass and keys. If the guitarist is soloing or comping a funky groove, and the drummer is locked in with you, you really can take the thing wherever you want to go with it.

Lots of musicians say they can't believe we ever worked out such intricate syncopations, when in reality it's all on the fly. It really comes down to having a couple of guys to work with that are like minded that you can trust musically.

It has made for some of the best fun I've ever had gigging.

Archived