Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Post Your Beatles Cover (KC Comp #5) Here!

bleen

Originally posted by Jeff the Wandering Weasel:

I just listened to all of the submissions thus far. EXCELLENT STUFF from everyone! We are a talented bunch. I have to say, Bleen's and Frankie's stuff were my favorite, but dB's little pal Lindsay has some rather decent vocal skills to say the least.

- Jeff

Thanks Jeff! :thu:

Wasn't sure anybody would like a techno/trance version of a Beatles song. I mean it seems that everyone here is into the rock and pop vein. But then again, a little something different doesn't hurt when thrown into the mix.

Just had the time to listen to everyone's submission...

Dave ... that is an excellent rendition of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" !!! It's very laidback and soothing! I prefer this song compared to "She's Leaving Home". This submission is my favorite so far. Lindsay has a wonderful voice. Execellent job!!!

Bleen Great work on the vocoded vocals. Like I said, I never got around to fully test Reason 2.5's Vocoder. Didn't know my way around it when I beta tested a couple of weeks ago. You did a bang up job!!!

Llarion Nice work sir!!! Your dad did a great job on the vocals (it was your dad wasn't it?). I especially love the strings creeping around the background. The guitar work is excellent!!!

Steve Great work sir!!! I like the organ parts that you did. A very torchy rendition! I may just whip this out when the wife feels a little playful tonite!!! :D

Jimmy The guitar sounds convincing enuff, and I also like your organ work on the song. Excellent job sir!!!

GREAT JOB EVERYBODY!!! And to all those in the process of finishing up their tune, would love to hear it soon!!! :thu:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EXCELLENT STUFF from everyone!

I have to agree...I just listened to them all again as well - not a clanker in the bunch. Outstanding work all around! :thu:

I'm way looking forward to the finished product...I'm really gonna enjoy sequencing and mastering this project.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by FrankieP:

Wasn't sure anybody would like a techno/trance version of a Beatles song. I mean it seems that everyone here is into the rock and pop vein. But then again, a little something different doesn't hurt when thrown into the mix.

That's the thing...I'm into ALL cool music. I try to label genres as little as possible.

And especially on something like a Beatles cover disc...you have to mix it up like this to keep it interesting.

- Jeff

Originally posted by astor*:

Dave & comp. musicians I'm changing my entry to "Across the Universe" . I don't think it's been taken...

No prob - nor would it matter if it had been taken. It'd be kinda cool to have more than one rendition of a tune on the comp.

Bring it on, Michele! Jai guru deva om... ;)

dB

Originally posted by astor*:

Dave & comp. musicians I'm changing my entry to "Across the Universe" . I don't think it's been taken...

I recorded a fairly traditional "Across the Universe" for my wife's little record last year...great song. But you could really take an ambient direction on something like that which would RULE, Michele.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I don't think anyone else is going to do the one we're doing. :D

I'm psyched...lemme guess - are you gonna do something off the second side of the European release of Help! like Act Naturally or Dizzy Miss Lizzie?

No - wait - I've got it...you're gonna do Her Majesty... ;)

dB

LOL... no... although we HAVE launched into "Her Majesty" at gigs every now and then. :D

No, the song we're doing is not too terribly obscure like a B side or bootleg or anything, it's just not something I think I've ever heard covered.

it's just not something I think I've ever heard covered.

Hmmm...Beatles tunes that are rarely covered. Lemme think here...

- Good Morning

- Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey

- Anna (Go to him)

- Within you without you

I could do a smoking version of "Good Morning", come to think of it. :)

- Jeff

I could do a smoking version of "Good Morning", come to think of it. :)

Yeah, I know if you could only find the time...

...oh, wait a minute... ;):D

C'mooooon Jeff! Record a tune for the CD! You can do it!!!! :thu:

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

(sound of crowd chanting)

...Jeff...Jeff...Jeff..Jeff...

Wow. Deadline in a week or so? And I'd want live drums on this. Hmmm. The weasel gives you a definite maybe. ;)

Let me check out the schedule of my little drummer boy and get back at ya.

- Jeff

Sorry guys - I have to give up.

I've tried to come up with my piano solo version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", in the little time I got left. I did write something, then I got sick - a big infection of the digestive tract - so it seems I'm going to see more doctors than keyboards in the next few days. Plus I'm feeling like I've been hit a few times by Mike Tyson...

I really wanted to play this on a real piano, but there's no way I could finish, learn and record it in time.

Have fun - I'm sure it will be a killer comp. See you on the next one... :)

Carlo

Dave - My CD went out today. You should see it Monday.

Question: I probably should have asked this before I told our shipping department to strike it, but is the PO Box necessary for your address? You had both a street address and PO so I thought not. Believe it or not, our shipping won't send anything via the mail and FedX can't deliver to a PO Box.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by marino:

Sorry guys - I have to give up.

:(

Bummer - we'll miss you, Carlo...

dB

Thanks Dave - I'll miss partecipating too.

Actually, the picture got even worse lately: Tonight, after a concert in Rome, I fell from the stage and hurt my knee so badly that I had to be taken to first aid. The result: I'll be lying in bed for the next 5 days at least. What's ironical is, I had just played a version of "Norwegian Wood"! I'm starting to think that the god of music don't want me to play the Beatles... :D

And anyway, I *want* a copy of the CD of course!

Carlo

I'm doing "Let It Be". So far it looks like nobody else is, and I'm having a good time with it. It'll be kind of different, but not radically so. :cool:

Ken, I took your suggestion; I twisted Tommy's arm to play a solo on it. :D Our bass player will be singing it. They're coming over Sunday to do their tracks. I'll mix it after the gig Sunday night, and send it out Monday. It should be in Dave's mailbox Wednesday. How's that for "just in time" delivery? :freak::D

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Originally posted by Bucktunes

I'm doing "Let It Be". So far it looks like nobody else is, and I'm having a good time with it. It'll be kind of different, but not radically so.

Can't wait to hear what you do with it. Having heard you and the group play while in Vegas, I sure it will be unique and soulful.

Originally posted by marino:

Actually, the picture got even worse lately: Tonight, after a concert in Rome, I fell from the stage and hurt my knee so badly that I had to be taken to first aid. The result: I'll be lying in bed for the next 5 days at least. What's ironical is, I had just played a version of "Norwegian Wood"! I'm starting to think that the god of music don't want me to play the Beatles... :D

Carlo

:eek: Ouch... Carlo, get fine soon!
I am back.

I've just now started listening to these tunes.

To repeat what has been said before, there's not a clunker in the bunch!

You folks are awesome!

I'll have to admit that I about choked up over David Bryce's rendition of She's Leaving Home.

Damn those strings are sweet!

My regards to everyone who is participating in this project.

I'm stoked!

Thank you!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

YIKES Carlo! I'm so sorry to hear that! Get better soon OK? :(

We are set to do our recording tomorrow. Hey DB, if I make the 16 bit WAV file available to you for download, would you be able to do that, or would you prefer a CD in the mail? Cuz if I have to mail it I'll be cutting it pretty darned close.

...Looks like I'm gonna make this one after all. I took your advice Jeff and am doing "Across the Universe" ambient style. I just hope I do it justice...already tracked, will finish mixing and mastering and will mail to you Monday, Dave .

Originally posted by JimmieWannaB:

Dave - My CD went out today. You should see it Monday.

Question: I probably should have asked this before I told our shipping department to strike it, but is the PO Box necessary for your address?

Only if you actually want your CD to make it into my mailbox... ;)

The address is for a MailBoxes Etc. As a rule, they kinda require the box number to know who gets the mail. Luckily, most of them know me there, so maybe they'll get it to me.

dB

Hey DB, if I make the 16 bit WAV file available to you for download, would you be able to do that, or would you prefer a CD in the mail? Cuz if I have to mail it I'll be cutting it pretty darned close.

Whichever works for you is fine with me, Lee. If it's a few days late, I won't bust ya - no one's breathing down my neck in terms of the hard and fast deadline...remember, this project's all about the fun.

If you prefer to just have me download it, I can live with that as well.

dB

Well, uh... ours is done, I think. Will probably tweak the mix some more tomorrow cuz I normally don't like to mix the same day I track, since my ears are fried from hearing loud drums and guitars and stuff. :D

But anyway....

I\'ve Got A Feeling - What The...?

Credits:

Lyle Bufkin - bass, vocals (John's vocal)

Jim "Spyder" Davis - drums, vocals (Paul's vocal)

Lee Flier - guitar

and special guest Christo Harris as Billy Preston, on Wurlitzer piano

(Christo is co-writer, co-frontman and guitarist in one of our favorite local bands Orange Hat , which you should definitely check out if you're a power pop/psychedelic fan, think XTC/Jellyfish/the Hollies/early Floyd. Christo wishes to point out that he is not a real keyboard player, although he sometimes plays one on TV.)

Recorded on Yamaha AW4416

We tracked everything live except vocals, which were overdubbed with Lyle and Spyder doing both their vocals at the same time for maximum vibe. But no, we didn't record it on the roof - it's not flat so we'd probably fall off. :D

Enjoy our bit of goofiness!

Hey! Is it too late to get in on this? I just found out about it tonight. I have a pretty good retake on "With A Little Help From My Friends," that I have been ruminating on, coincidentally. I could get it out pronto. :D

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived