Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone tried the Motion Sound KP-200S?

daBowsa

I'm looking at the new 10" JBL EONs as my amplification for my keyboard rig...

Their size, weight and price are very appealing - but for the money I'd be spending, I feel nervous about not having enough low-end. To jump up to the Mackie SRM450's adds 60% to the cost and 53 lbs to the transportation factor.

Anyone have any experience or opinions about the EON10's? I'm also a little confused - it says it has a 3-input mixer, but only has an XLR and a 1/4" input. The 1/4" is marked as the tip being channel 2 and the ring being 3...how would I utilize that? With a stereo 1/4" cable?

Thanks in advance! :D

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also considering the options for a keyboard PA.

Never tried the JBLS as they are out of my price range. For half the price you might want to consider the Behringer B300, I've not listened myself yet but I've scoured the net and only read good things.

I'm also very tempted by the portability of the stereo Motion Sound KP200S, if you fancy a keyboard combo amp this might be the way to go. I know of one person that sold a pair of JBL Eons and replaced them with this amp and is now a very happy chappy.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

Originally posted by dabowsa:

I'm looking at the new 10" JBL EONs as my amplification for my keyboard rig...

Their size, weight and price are very appealing - but for the money I'd be spending, I feel nervous about not having enough low-end. To jump up to the Mackie SRM450's adds 60% to the cost and 53 lbs to the transportation factor.

Anyone have any experience or opinions about the EON10's? I'm also a little confused - it says it has a 3-input mixer, but only has an XLR and a 1/4" input. The 1/4" is marked as the tip being channel 2 and the ring being 3...how would I utilize that? With a stereo 1/4" cable?

Thanks in advance! :D

I use a pair of Eon 10 G2's for keyboards. I love them. My ears love them, my back loves them. The high end is very good - that compression driver, with its own amp, really brings out high-end sparkle of piano samples in a pleasant way. I've tried many keyboard amps. Cheap tweeters suck. I've never found a keyboard amp yet with good-sounding high end.

Ok, the bottom end of the Eon 10's is not chest-pounding. Why would you want that anyway? If low end is really important to you, you could always augment them with an Eon G2 subwoofer, that would be one solution.

For me, I don't want the deep bottom end, I'd rather have the quality at the midrange and high end.

As for the 1/4 input, you could use it as 2 inputs with the right cable. They get summed. I just use it as one input.

That KP-200S looks pretty sweet - 50lbs, 100 watts to each woofer, four channel stereo mixer + 1 mono xlr channel built in...and all in one piece instead of two PA speakers.

Anyone have any direct experience with this amp? What did the Feb Keyboard review say about it? I missed this issue and now I can't find the review online...

Dano - don't leave me hanging! What exactly "kicks butt" about it? :D

No, seriously - do you gig with it? Does it have enough umph? How's the low end? What about size and weight?

Aagghh! Why do I always want the things that no one stocks!?!

Originally posted by dabowsa:

Dano - don't leave me hanging! What exactly "kicks butt" about it? :D

No, seriously - do you gig with it? Does it have enough umph? How's the low end? What about size and weight?

Aagghh! Why do I always want the things that no one stocks!?!

I gig occasionally .

The weight is managable ,2 handles on each end and lighter than the Peavey KB series . The KP200s fit in the trunk of my Mazda Protege today . I usually drive a Honda Passport SUV .

Just read Keyboard magazines review ( Feb or Jan.) they gave it a "KEY BUY " award ! :wave:

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

I use a KBR-3D which is close to the KP-200S and PRO-3t in one package. The keyboard side of the KBR-3D has done well for me at gigs. I have used it in rooms with 150-200 people without having to go through the PA system. I find a little lower mid coloration to the sound but that may not be the case with the KP.(I use a 31 band EQ with mine). Motion Sound equipment is well built along with customer service that is second to none. As Dano says...It kicks butt!!!

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Originally posted by keyoctave:

I use a KBR-3D which is close to the KP-200S and PRO-3t in one package. The keyboard side of the KBR-3D has done well for me at gigs. I have used it in rooms with 150-200 people without having to go through the PA system. I find a little lower mid coloration to the sound but that may not be the case with the KP.(I use a 31 band EQ with mine). Motion Sound equipment is well built along with customer service that is second to none. As Dano says...It kicks butt!!!

That was my next question........did they fix the midrange "colorization" problem (that was in the KBR-3D) in the KP-200S?
Surreal :cool:

Originally posted by SurrealMcCoyJazz:

Originally posted by keyoctave:

That was my next question........did they fix the midrange "colorization" problem (that was in the KBR-3D) in the KP-200S?
Sureal, I would hope so. The specs for the KP- 200S say that it uses 10" Eminence speakers with 3.5" Ferro cooled dynamic horns. My KBR (an early production unit) uses 10" Superfast speakers with co-ax mounted compression horns (this is what the national sales manager at that time told me). Since the speakers are different, I would assume the sound of the unit will be somewhat different. Of course, we all have a different take on what sounds right (with all of us being right! :D ) I do like the look and finish of the new Motion Sound equipment. I also like the KP100S. Talk about a great practice/monitor/small gig amp!

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Archived