Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to mic a Leslie???

Blues Disciple

We are now all set to mic my Leslie at church and are at a loss of the best way to do it.

Is there anyplace where I can get boom and attach a mic on each end to place at the horn and bass rotors?

What mics are best to use for this application?

(Relatively low-cost options please)

Uni-directional or omindirectional?

What is the best mic placement or distance from the horns?

Any suggestions or tips?

This is for a live only application, not recording.

Thanks,

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Dave,

Many thanks for the sites. I've bookmarked them all and have printed out three of them. Now off I go to read!

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

The only time I've ever recorded with a Hammond, my drummer/engineer/lucky-bastard-owner-of-a-BV-with-Leslie-that-he-got-for-$150-at-the-thrift-store:mad: miked the upper horns with a stereo capsule mic and the low rotor drum with one sm57 on each side. Sounded great.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Many placements are possible and they all will work, but sound different. What sound are you after, that "all over the place" Leslie sound?

I've recorded many Hammond players and personally I like the sound of a Leslie 122 in a good room, standing at some distance from the Leslie.

So I prefer to record with an ORTF pair of SD condensers at some two feet from the Leslie.

Gives a very natural sound and a perfect stereo image.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

I'm sure there's some good info in the links (I'm lazy, so I didn't bother to check). In the many times I've recorded a Leslie, I've used from 2-4 mics depending on how decent the room is. I always place a dynamic large diaphragm mic on bottom (RE20 is fine) and something like a 57 close-miked on the rotors. Then I'll usually also mic the room with a pair of condensers, like KM84s.

If I only had a pair of mics, I'd back them off to about five feet and point them respectively at the top and bottom but with not too severe an angle, then use the board panning subtly to help maintain a stereo field.

- Jeff

For recording, one mic (I like a 414 for this) somewhere approximately equidistant from the horn and woofer is really nice. It's not stereo, but it captures the airyness of the cabinet better than when the mics are close. Lots of depth. You have to look for that "sweet spot" for perfection. This captures the cabinet resonance quite well.

For live, I place the mics on the vent side instead of the open back, which seems to be the most popular. The vents seem to cut the wind noise down and having the mics behind the leslie helps to cut the feedback problem. I use 57's on top and run them into my 1604 Mackie mixer which controls a pair of SRM 450 powered Mackie speakers which I use for monitors and I never have any feeback problem this way. It also keeps me from having to overdrive the Leslie too much.

Another cool thing is to use one mic for the woofer and then a mic in front and in back of the cab. panned left and right for the horn. Since one side of the horn is a dummy (for weight distribution) it gives a great stereo effect when the rotor is running on slow speed. You can't tell any difference when it is running fast, but when you kick it off of fast, that coasting effect in stereo is one of the coolest sounds in the universe.

Archived