Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you ready for some HOCKEY

Fat Chance

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, it's nothing but sad that three times, people have started 2002-2003 hockey threads only to have them sink like stones and disappear into the ether.

I'm an L.A. Kings fan, and have been for about 20 years now. Please have pity on me this year. Between constant injuries and toughening opponents in the Pacific division, I don't think we have a chance in hell of making (much less doing well in) the playoffs.

Now that football is done, I can start focusing my attention back to my true love: NHL hockey. I've been to six Kings games this year so far.

Stanley Cup: Ottawa Sens versus Dallas Stars. :)

- Jeff

Originally posted by noizboyz@bellatlantic.net:

Now that football's over ,who's going to the Stanley Cup?

Flyers& Red Wings? :thu:

Peace

Rob

I feel left out ever since I moved from the USA to Italy.

I missed two superbowl although my grand total was veiwing 2 of them in my 33 years. Second I've not seen Hockey for two years, which I like more than American football. I'm a New Yorker who seems to like the red wings more than the rangers. go fig, perhaps that show why I am living in Italy and not the USA as well.

So

Champions Leauge anyone?

Then i can share in the fun, either that or I have to get that dam decoder to see some Stanley Cup action

Anyway keep this thread alive folks!

Names to Remember:

Charles Stepney & Emory Cook

Originally posted by Llarion:

I'm not a hockey fan; but it's refreshing to note that the Lightning don't patently suck this year...

Fuck the Lightning...Tampa has enough championships already.

- Jeff (yes, I'm bitter)

Hi, guys! What's up?

Oh, hockey. Yeah.

The Avs are struggling big time. They're on the cusp of not only not winning the Northwest for the first time in nine years, but missing the playoffs. The team's shown flashes of brilliance but they're always followed by big defensive lapses. Routinely the Avs have given up two or sometimes three goal leads. Roy is picking up his game now which is good because at times he's been very average. The defense has looked confused at times. Maybe too much young blood on the blue line. Rob Blake has been mailing it in all year. So very uncharacteristic of the big guy. Talk in Denver is that he's hurt. Sakic's out for 4-6 weeks with a broken foot. The one bright spot has been Forsberg. That guy's the best player in the world. I don't care what anyone else says.

Still, for all the misery they've gone through they're only 10 points back of the division leading Canucks with two games in hand, and they're picking up their game. I tell you one thing, if the Avs stay where they are and get the eighth playoff spot, you may see a few teams not so unhappy they didn't win the conference. ;)

Originally posted by Postman:

The Avs are struggling big time.

Kings and Avs have a lot of parallels this year. Bad injuries of key players, other players not performing anywhere near their potential.

But the Kings are now sitting at the basement of the Pacific division with only 46 points. Granted, there's only a few points between second and fifth place (and Dallas has run away with the division at 70 points, leading the NHL), but we stand a very real possibility of not making the playoffs this year.

:(

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

...and Dallas has run away with the division at 70 points, leading the NHL...

Mostly because of Marty Turco in my opinion. I've caught most of the Avs-Stars games this year and my God is that kid good! With him in goal, the Stars have got to be favored to win the cup. Of course while he may not be a rookie, he's still a first year starter, and they have a way of making like the Wicked Witch of the West in the playoffs. :evil:

Originally posted by Joe Tee:

I'd like to say the Blues are going to be there, but I'm not confident in the goaltending area. Glad to see there are other hockey fans out there, my son is 20 and has been playing since he was 6.......great sport...!!

Yeah, St. Louis is a better hockey town that most people think. I grew up there myself and played hockey since I was three. I don't know why the city hasn't produced an NHL player. It should have by now. I think Denver will in the next 10 years. The kids in this town are really getting good.

...and Dallas has run away with the division at 70 points, leading the NHL...

Mostly because of Marty Turco in my opinion.
How glad are the Stars that they got rid of psycho boy Belfour? He's not having a bad year for the Leafs, but he was extremely disruptive on the Stars. Turco's always had the talent, and I'm glad to see him living up to his potential with the starting gig.

Meanwhile, there are trade rumors about Ziggy Palffy...hope that's all they are...rumors. :(

- Jeff

Glad to see a hockey thread back in the forum. Keep it alive!

Postman,

Have to agree with you in saying that Forsberg's one of the best players today, that is after seeing the Leafs play the Avs last week.... :cry:

I think Forsberg's managed to develop the same reputation for himself that Lemieux and Gretzky did: Untouchable. Defenceman and forwards alike are so petrified of getting undressed or robbed of the puck by him that they simply don't go near him anymore. I only wish players like Fedorov, Mogilny or Bure could gain that reputation again.

As for the Cup, I doubt either the Wings or the Flyers will make it that far this year, or at least I'm hoping. I think a team like Vancouver, Boston or Montreal could cause a big upset over one of the mainstays this year, but then again these veteran teams like Detroit seem to pick it up a notch during the playoffs.

Kwiks

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

Originally posted by Kwiks:

I think Forsberg's managed to develop the same reputation for himself that Lemieux and Gretzky did: Untouchable.

Untouchable? The boy lost his spleen during the playoffs against the Kings in 2001. When you're having internal organs removed from getting checked so hard, you have yet to qualify for "untouchable" status. :)

I'm kidding, of course. He's one of the premier players in the NHL today...amazing talent, with or without his spleen.

- Jeff

Pretty glad to see that the All-Star game

comes back to its original format

no more North America vs the World

too bad we wont be seeing MArio Lemieux

and Saku Koivu. I know it'S a good thing cuz both need the rest.

Go HABS Go

I'm saying it now: the Senators are going all the way this year. Whether they can beat Dallas in the Cup remains to be seen.

And...I've pretty much written my poor Kings off. I've never done that this early in the season before. :(

- Jeff

I'm saying it now: the Senators are going all the way this year. Whether they can beat Dallas in the Cup remains to be seen.

Maybe. If nothing else the Senators have proven themselves to be truly lousy in the playoffs. This isn't the first year they've been rocket hot in the regular season. They never seem to show up in the post season. They may be on their way to the cup. I'm not going to argue that they don't look really good this year, but me? I'll become a believer when I see them raise the cup.

Meanwhile the Avs tie a pathetic Columbus team. Arrrgh! Let's see if they can beat a Ranger team that has just lost their coach. It'll be tough. The Rangers will be on that new coach high. A couple points here before the break will mean a lot.

The Rangers will be on that new coach high.

That lasted a short while with your Avs when you acquired your new head coach (former King Tony Granato).

What's Hartley doing now? I thought I heard he took another coaching job.

- Jeff

The Rangers will be on that new coach high.

That lasted a short while with your Avs when you acquired your new head coach (former King Tony Granato).

- Jeff

Actually, you're beeing a little tough on ol' Tony. When Hartley left the Avs had the worst powerplay unit in the NHL. Now it's the second best (maybe first now -- Granato wasn't sure on his radio show this morning). The pk is much better, too. He hasn't solved the group neurosis the Avs experience when playing at home, though. For a Denver team to be under .500 at home (except for the Nuggets) is almost unheard of. It's at home that they're liable to give up big leads. They play as if it's the all-star game.

Hartley is in Atlanta and by all accounts doing a decent job. They're still the doormat of the NHL, but at least they're winning a few games. I hope he does well there. I was sorry to see him go.

- Jeff

Actually, you're beeing a little tough on ol' Tony. When Hartley left the Avs had the worst powerplay unit in the NHL. Now it's the second best (maybe first now -- Granato wasn't sure on his radio show this morning). The pk is much better, too. He hasn't solved the group neurosis the Avs experience when playing at home, though. A Denver team to be under .500 at home (except for the Nuggets) is almost unheard of. It's at home that they're liable to give up big leads. They play as if it's the all-star game.

Hartley is in Atlanta and by all accounts doing a decent job. They're still the doormat of the NHL, but at least they're winning a few games. I hope he does well there. I was sorry to see him go.

Right...Atlanta. The poor Thrashers. So much rookie talent there, though!

- Jeff

Canucks all the way.

http://www.canucks.com/images/top_left.jpg

Is it just me, or does the Ottawa Senators logo look like a giant condom ad?

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Hope not Kwiks. Me no like Toronto ;) Its horrible to see that Pittsburgh HAVE to trade him, he's a great player.

On a side note, it's nothing but sad that three times, people have started 2002-2003 hockey threads only to have them sink like stones and disappear into the ether.

Yeah, I guess this great sport just isnt as supported as it should be. I gave up on the last Hockey thread coz it seemed to be just me and you posting Jeff, I was actually planning to PM ya soon! Shame about the Kings, so many key injuries is such an unfair way to suffer.

As for the Avs, what's their excuse? They should never have traded Drury.

Stanley Cup final, hate to say it, but I cant see past the Devils and the Stars. Dallas are just too good. Marty Turco & Jere Lehtinen have been phenomenal. As much as I'd love to see the Flyers succeed in the East I just dont believe they can stay consistent enough for long enough to make it all the way in the play-offs. Can anyone honestly say that they think any team in the East can win 4 playoff games against the Devils?

Ottawa - I'd love to see them do it too, but as Postman pointed out, they cant do it in the playoffs. Maybe this will be the year that finally ends. Its such a shame about their financial problems, Buffalo too, but more so Ottawa - this is a Canadian sport, its horrible that the team who play in the country's capital are in so much trouble.

Big credit to Vancouver, Naslund & Bertuzzi still the best pairing in the league. Maybe they could stop Dallas over 7 games. Wonder what they'd be like if either of the big 2 got injured though.

Oh and wasnt that a damn fine All Star showcase. Big ups to Dany Heatley and Patrick Lalime - who would have been MVP if it wasnt for Heatley's goals.

Originally posted by bitdump:

keep this thread alive

I'll second that!

Champion's League bitdump? Hell yeah! How's Serie A looking? This is the first season in years that I havent followed.

John Scotsman

Originally posted by flyscots:

Big ups to Dany Heatley and Patrick Lalime - who would have been MVP if it wasnt for Heatley's goals.

Heatley is frighteningly good. I see the same indefinable quality in him that I've seen in guys like Forsberg, Modano, Gretzky and Lemieux.

My Kings, though still struggling, have worked their way out of the cellar of the Pacific division, by a whole point. They're starting to get some guys back from the injured list. I don't think it'll be enough this late in the year, though, to really matter.

- Jeff

Trade rumours are circulating about Palffy in LA. I personally think it would probably be a good move on the Kings part; I don't think Palffy has or ever will reach his full potential there.

Kwiks

"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." - Butthole Surfers

Originally posted by Kwiks:

Trade rumours are circulating about Palffy in LA. I personally think it would probably be a good move on the Kings part; I don't think Palffy has or ever will reach his full potential there.

I keep hearing those rumors, but I really am opposed to this. Palffy has hung in there as our only serious, consistent offensive threat while Allison hass been injured.

The last thing I heard would really bum me out, which was the possibility of a straight trade for Bobby Holik. Holik, IMHO, is way overpaid by the Rangers and is on the downhill part of his career.

Like any trade, I guess I'd have to see what we'd be getting before bemoaning the event, but it doesn't sound good to me.

- Jeff

Archived