Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hammond clone volume pedal

daBowsa

For those of you playing hammond clones, which is the prefered volume pedal: the kind you plug into to your clone which affects the output level the it produces, or the kind you plug the line out into which actually modifies the level before going to the amp?

Is there a particular pedal which produces the characteristic hammond swells? Real hammond's pedal aren't 0->100%, right? Aren't they more like 40->100%?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The physical sweep range stays the same, but you can adjust the physical angle of the sweep, relative to the floor. You can set it so that "full throttle" is level with the floor, or so that it slopes downhill away from you, about 15 degrees. The idea is that it can be set for sitting or standing.

BTW, FC7's work just fine with any Korg or Yamaha keyboards. And I agree, they're built like a tank.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Originally posted by dabowsa:

Is there a particular pedal which produces the characteristic hammond swells? Real hammond's pedal aren't 0->100%, right? Aren't they more like 40->100%?

All pedals output 0-127 as they are rotated´. It's up to the software in the clone to convert the pedal output to a scale representative of a Hammond eg 40%-100%.

INteresting you mention this as my electro organ swell is a constant 25% for the first half of the pedal travel (Roland) and then quickly ramps up to 100%. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my pedal or if it's the Electro trying to emulate accurately the Hammond characteristics.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I thought I posted here, and my post just disappeared. "Volume" pedals and "Expression pedals are two different beast, as it appears u already know. A volume pedal only decreases your line level signal. Or, in others word, it does not amplify at all. A true Expression pedal changes the gain of an amp internal to the instrument to produce some weird but desireable effects. A Volume pedal has a ramp type effect, where the Expression pedal can have a stair step (or non linear) type effect. Heres an example of a volume pedal, hold a note and turn your amp volume up and down quickly, thats the effect you get with a "Volume" pedal. To imitate an "Expression" pedal, turn your amp on and off. See the difference? Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

well, i bought a Boss FV50L, and though it is completly overpriced for a god-damn rheostat, (i think i had to pay 120 for one!) it does the job nicely on swells. it is linear though so its not perfect for a true hammond sound, but what clone is?!
Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

Originally posted by Bucktunes

BTW, FC7's work just fine with any Korg or Yamaha keyboards. And I agree, they're built like a tank.

How about a Alesis QS 6.1? I've wondered this about expression pedals in general. Are they interchangeable from manufacturer to manufacturer? I've been living with a plain volume pedal which is less than satisfactory with NI B4.

Originally posted by dabowsa:

Is there a particular pedal which produces the characteristic hammond swells?

None that I know of. The Hammond swell pedal controls a variable capacitor, which is why on a B3 you still hear the bass notes with the pedal back.

Hammond's goal was to imitate a pipe organ, which of course has has no volume pedal in the normal sense of the word--a pipe is either on or off. The crecendo pedal on a pipe organ, however, creates the effect of volume control by gradually turning on successively higher ranks of pipes. Hammond's variable capacitor roughly imitates this behavior.

The B3 was designed for Aunt Trudie to play Bach, not for Keith Emerson to play Tarkus. Nor, heaven forbid, Jimmy Smith!

Bart Garratt

• 2 weeks later...

I asked Alesis tech support for a recommendation for an expression pedal for my QS6.1 They recommended the Roland EV-5. There was a lot of discussion in this thread about the Yamaha FC7. As the FC7 is half the price of the EV-5, I'd like to go with it.

Will the FC7 work with th QS 6.1 and is it truly an expression pedal. MusiciansFriend lists the EV-5 as an expression pedal but calls the FC7 a volume pedal. Surreal has called the Yamaha FC7 an expression pedal in his post. Is this true?

Roland also makes the EV7, designed as an accessory to their VK organs - anyone ever try this one? Its got 30 degrees of adjustable angle and a minimum volume knob. But at $150, the Yammy FC7 still seems the way to go - I'm going to pick one up this weekend.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by debowsa

But at $150, the Yammy FC7 still seems the way to go

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can wait a few days for shipping, you can save $100. MusiciansFriend has the FC7 for $49.

What I meant was, seeing that the Roland EV7 costs $150, the FC7 at $40-50 still seems like the product to buy.

zzounds.com ships out of the east coast and has them for $39.95, so I'll probably do that unless a local shop has one in stock.

Archived