Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Chango"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "Chango" (submitted by PatAzz), and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the encouraging words.

The melody was a mini-type patch on my CS1x.

The "b" section of the melody had a steel drum patch doubling the melody (I think it was the Virtual Sound Canvas, but I'm not positive of that - I laid down the audio part of that early this year).

The solo was Bill Busch's (BurningBusch) Omega 8. Cool synth...

There were no pads in the tune (and no organ either - my B4 was gathering dust ;) ), but I had a ball playing the shaker and clave's live.

And yes, that was my buddy Allen Marshall on guitar. We've known each other for a while, worked on each others tunes, and now work in the same wing of the same building, so when I have a tune I burn a disc, a chart, and a set of directions and he comes back with some really cool stuff.

I actually typed and posted the whole sheet of notes that you sent me on the mp3 site, Pat...they don't show up for some reason, though. They're there if I go into the admin page, but they don't show up on the site...

Maybe I should let you into admin - heck, if you can't fix it... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by BassGuy21:

So, the drums were synth?

The sound was was ok. But the way they were put together... It was all so seamless. You must either have been a drummer, or had a drummer to assist you.

Drummer assist. A good friend of mine played along with the track on V-Drums and I went from there. The drum sounds were from Battery (I imported the BlueJay soundfont set that came with Sonar and modified it a bit).

Fortunately, the ideas were very good (and drummer-like ;) ).

Unfortunately, we didn't take a lot of time getting the performance right, just the ideas, so I ended up doing a lot of fixing (both time and velocity).

Thanks for noticing...

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I actually typed and posted the whole sheet of notes that you sent me on the mp3 site, Pat...they don't show up for some reason, though. They're there if I go into the admin page, but they don't show up on the site...

Maybe I should let you into admin - heck, if you can't fix it... ;)

dB

I'm not fussed about it, but if you want some help I'll be happy to pitch in (I've got to get my own MP3 site up before the end of the year, so it might be good practice.

Terrific! A first class recording, first of all. Everything is clean and clear and warm. Excellent performances all around - bass, guitar, drums (programmed??) and keys. Nice lead interplay between keys and guitar. I can't wait to slap this one on the CD player and jam along. A VERY happening tune!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I like the finished mix of this Pat. We SO need to work on more of your tunes. :) Oh yeah, dig the claves.

-Brian

(bass player and co-writer)

"hey, I've been thinking about writing a latin-sounding tune..." - PatAzz the day we wrote this :D

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

I like the finished mix of this Pat. We SO need to work on more of your tunes. :) Oh yeah, dig the claves.

-Brian

The bass part kicks serious ass!!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

-Brian

The bass part kicks serious ass!!
Thanks man. :)

"I like to play"

Nice...I think I heard an earlier version of this...nice to hear you go a bit more organic with it.

Excellent sounds all around...I think you could have made the drums a bit more present (I know some samples make that difficult) but they sound pretty real anyway.

I really like the melody on this, without comparing it to anyone really...I will say that I hear Jeff Lorber influence as well as Russell Ferrante.

Good stuff...looking forward to getting my copy of this.

Archived