Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

On Topic: Diaper bags as gig bags...

I suspect what you're thinking...I've finally lost it. Nope. I'm alwyas cranking at my missus about a) lugging a big ol baby bag, AND a stroller AND, AND...every time we leave the house b) doing the above with a bright blue and yellow floral bag. The plan was (is) to stock a few bags. Leave one at my momz, her momz, my job (and by extension, her job!), leave one at church, and one in the damm car. That way we (actually I) could just get the hell up and leave whenever. Anyways, we're at toys-r-us, and they have BLACK bags - of a hybrid backpack/ hand carrying variety. They are 10 bucks. These bags are IDEAL for giggers and the likes. Right now, I have my laptop and a bunch of shit in it. Plus, it has a lot (10?) of pockets etc... Looks like I'm gonna have to get me some more.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by NYC Drew: [b] These bags are IDEAL for giggers and the likes. Right now, I have my laptop and a bunch of shit in it. Plus, it has a lot (10?) of pockets etc... [/b][/quote]-It's a good way to sneak your own booze into the gig... if you dont mind drinking out of baby bottles. baboom ching! -I can already hear my bandmates say, 'what's in the 'Barney' bag, the 'Kid Rock' lyrics? baboom ching! ;)
In two days, it won't matter.

Drew, you brought back wonderful and painful memories of the best gig bag I ever had. :freak: Someone bought me a beautiful, leather photography bag for my bar mitzvah. I was hardly into photography, so I only occasionally used it as a travel bag. A few years later I was a guitar player with several effects pedals, cables, batteries, etc. that I'd lug around, and this made the perfect gig bag. The main compartment was only about 1 1/2 feet long by 8 or 10 inches wide, but it had pockets sewn on every side, originally for lenses, film, etc. There was a pocket I think was designed for a small tripod which fit my microphone perfectly. Others seemed like they'd been made specifically for pedals. It was fantastic. It also had two buckled straps for holding a large tripod along one side. Worked great for my guitar stand or cables. And it was small, so as overloaded as it might get, it was only heavy, not the backbreaker some of my gig bags have been! :D The only problem? A punk bass player decided to steal my it and a some gear as we were loading out from a free gig (playing before the midnight Rocky Horror Picture Show at a local theater). He "quit" the band.. without telling anyone, of course! What a loser. :mad: Now I have all manner of gig bags. One, like the photo bag, has plenty of outside pockets and a large interior. A horizontal velcro'd in divider creates top and bottom compartments. There's a zipper flap in back for access to the bottom compartment. It's pretty good, but I don't think I'd have spent the money on it if it wasn't at cost. ;) I brought a large, old, [i]green[/i] mechanic's tool box on my last bus tour. It was about 60lbs.. empty! But it locked and I had little doubt that people would leave it alone. They'd have been caught AND gotten a hernia, attempting to run away with it! :D In the mideast, my only gig box, due to weight and size restrictions, was a Firestorm drill case I modified. With the drill and accessory supports cut out, it has room for my soldering set, headphones, cable tester, volt meter and current tester, and other gack all in one compartment. I like it because it's light (impact resistant plastic), has an outside screw tray which provides easy access to my Mag-lite, sharpie's, etc. Another necessary feature is a hasp allowing me to lock it. But I WAY digress... All our diaper bags were either the single compartment Enfamil bags given out at hospitals, or a medium size bag with only a few, open top pockets on the outside. Wouldn't have sufficed. Glad you found a better one!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

As the father of one year old quadruplets, I can tell you that this is the bag. http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,1467,1_2_1930_34719_22238_19888_5:view=-1,00.html?sid=0343059587548175840 Nothing else comes close. And you can have your name embroidered on it (up to 10 characters). Just take out the wet bag and the changing pad and you have a killer gig bag.
Tiny G

The underneath compartment of our stroller has served as transport for many loose smaller items ( mikes, cables, laptop, tuners, etc...) several times. The boy now enjoys pushing the stroller as well, so that opens up the passenger area to larger items ( sax flight cases, stands, etc...).
Woof!

Another benefit a diaper bag would have is a low "come-steal-me" factor, people won't suspect (unless you're loading/unloading) that its full of expensive gear. That's also why I'd probably not ever use a camera bag as a gig bag, they just call out "Steal me"! (When I travel with my camera bags, [i]with cameras,[/i] I usually place them inside cheap coolers, it camouflages them and protects film from heat just a bit).

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Not for nuthin'... but... I found a great gig bag at Home Depot. It's called a Machinist's Toolbox. Looks like a mid-sized metal briefcase and costs $20. I can fit everything I need in that sucker -- collapseable guitar stand, cables, straps, tuner, pedal, extra strings, screwdriver set, guitool, set lists, soft cloths, etc. It's great. I bought one for our drummer last year, and he loves his. He keeps all of his little screws, extra felts, drum keys, sticks, headset mic, set lists, clean t-shirts, etc, in there.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I often use a plastic ice chest for hauling gear. Its strong enough for local shows, provides some protection from impact and heat, and is lightweight and cheap. I find that its easier to keep things organized with a (relatively)hard case, but the ice chest isn't heavy. Another advantage is that it doesn't look like a valuable when its in your car.

Archived