Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "What Are You Waiting For?"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are currently in the process of doing another CD compilation of original material submitted by members of this forum.

As with the last original compilation, the entries will be posted for review by all of the members of the forum whether or not they have contributed a piece. With that in mind, please check out "What Are You Waiting For?" (submitted by Craig Anderton), and tell us what you think!

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Craig...you get some really fat sounding mixes that's for sure.

Is your vocal running backwards and forwards? Whatever the effect, sounds pretty cool. I can't tell how much of this was done with loops...really different "futuristic" sounds, unique for sure.

You know this isn't my cup of tea really but I can totally appreciate it and enjoyed the experience of listening to it. The lyrics got a chuckle out of me too...I hope that was intended. ;)

Thanks for taking part in this.

Well, this most definitely IS my cup of tea. I'm a very big fan of electro/synth-pop... whatever you wanna call it. Can I hear a bit of a Peter Murphy and Skinny Puppy influence? It's most definitely original enough to not be either though.

I must say I'm impressed (and slightly embarrased at my own project, but that's a story for another thread). If I'd heard that at a club, I'd have asked the DJ who that was.

And it's DANCY too!

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

I must investigate this fellow further. What a fascinating song...

I can guess as to some of the soundcrafting, but as Mr Creeper below asks, I would love to get the details from the master himself.

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

<>

Hey, glad you're liking it! Most instruments were loops I created on an Ensoniq ASR-X groovebox. The song debuted as an instrumental in 1998 at the Liquid Sky club in Cologne, Germany, and was originally just the ASR-X and samples flown in from Minidisc.

Later on I added vocals. The machine-sounding vocals are processed via Electrix Warp Factory.

Guitar is a Paul Reed Smith through a POD. Vocals were my voice, doubled. I got the reverse reverb effects by recording the vocals into Acid, bringing them into Wavelab, reversing, adding reverb, then exporting and bringing back into Acid.

Two years ago the tune was remixed by Dr. Walker and Wulfmanson and appeared on a compilation CD in Europe. After hearing the remix, I liked the vibe they gave it a lot, and recut the bass and some of the drums to make the tune more danceable.

Mastering was done in Wavelab, with some L1 from Waves and a little EQ.

It's all pretty basic stuff, actually, but it was fun to do!

• 2 weeks later...
Another nice one from Mr Anderton. I like the dance-ability!

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting mix of late-80's musical ideas with current sounds. The vocal almost reminded me of Zappa doing some kind of clandestine lounge gig. I was almost expecting a rap about flakes fixing cars or something. Was pitch shifting used on the guitar lines, or just a lot of delay? Concise, immediate, catchy, and groovy. A deliciously technophonic inspiration from the grand master of such things.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Sorry I didn't check back for the additional questions...once it dropped off the front page, I figured it was gone. So:

<>

Lotsa delay, but also some backwards reverb stuff I added in Wavelab.

<

Yes, all sounds except guitar and voice were ASR-X. The entire project was recorded in Acid 1.0, but for the mix, I sent tracks out separate outs to the Panasonic DA7 so I could use its EQ and faders.

Archived