Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[b]DON'T READ THIS!!! DON'T READ THIS!!! DO NOT READ THIS!!! SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX[/b] Okay, now that I have your attention. This is a GREAT thread, but it would be cool if everyone who posted would go back and edit their post to include the year they were born! That might lend some insight to why you were big into Starland Vocal Band, or Percy Faith or whatever. SO PLEASE GO BACK AND EDIT YOUR POST... Maybe put it near the top or something. Thanks, and sorry about having to use those advanced Marketing techniques on everyone -it was the only way to ensure I got everyone's attention. [i]And now for something completely different...[/i] [quote]Originally posted by Nraki: [b](Every student in the my country has to learn English, but nobody is serious), and now I'm in the US still learning English![/b][/quote]Well, you english speek prity. I should know also, I are am American english speeken person! Yoo keep practising, and some time get good like I! :thu: BTW: you mentioned "Your country", but it says you live in Seatle. When did Seatle separate from the union? Or is this ANOTHER country you're talking about?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster the Pilgrim: [b]To give the Monkees a bit of credit, Nesmith even appeared in the film clip (precursor of the music video) for "A Day in the Life". Dolenz had quite a good voice, actually. Davy Jones was bubblegum incarnate, though.[/b][/quote]From what I understand, Nesmith pretty much invented Mtv. He directed "Repo-man". He played a damn fine solo on "Valerie". I loved his song "Rio". He is aire to the Liquid Paper dynasty. And let's not forget his tireless efforts to "Save the Texas prairy chicken". Mike ROCKS! Mickey DID have a great voice. Still sounds good! Peter was too quiet and introverted (my kinda guy) to have developed any bad press for being a Monkee. Davy WAS window dressing. And that MonkeeMobile was a really cool car!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

My sisters played "Heartbreak Hotel" continuously for about a year. I loved both the guitar and piano riffs, along with, of course, the King. I really liked the Big Bopper's "I like it like That", Richie Valens "La Bamba", and especially Del Shannon's "Runaway", which I first heard fading in on my mom's 55 Chevy's radio as the tubes heated up. I never got that fade-in again, just like that. I liked a lot of Johhny Cash's stuff - "ring of Fire" especially. An older girl across the street had an Eddie Cochran album with "Summertime Blues" that was also special. I was also kinda into Pat Boone, before his heavy metal period. And Louis Armstrong, Harry Belafonte, Ray Charles, and Chuck Berry opened a part of the world I had never seen. Civil rights demonstrations were on TV, which did not broadcast all day long. I could not understand how people could be so mean to people like those musicians. One of my biggest influences was my trumpet teacher, Dude Carlson. He was an older guy who played big band jazz with a pencil thin mustache perched over his mouthpiece. He taught me tone. I turned thirteen in '62, when Bob Dylan released his first album, though I wouldn't hear it for another three years. I guess I still like all of them now. I wish I had a recording of Dude.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

[quote]Originally posted by Hank The Cave Peanut: [QB] 1) ...did you like A LOT back then? GARY NUMAN!!!, Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, Bee Gees (gasp...I was really young then)KC and the Sunshine Band, CW McCaw (SP?). 2) ...do you still like today? GARY NUMAN!!! His new stuff is really dark, but very nice. Still like the prog stuff due to the exceptional musicianship, but don't listen to it much anymore. What can you say about disco? I am a big fan of pop culture, so I still find great amusement in throwing on the KC on vinyl and I must say I am in favor of doing a little dance, making a little love and getting down. 3) ...for better or worse, have a big influence on you now? GARY NUMAN!!! Really they all influenced me in weird ways. Gary Numan started my love for the synthesizer and has always been a huge influence. I was always a drummer though so I brushed up my chops on Rush and that style still permeates my playing today. QB][/quote]
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

[quote]Originally posted by Charlize Theron: [b]I listened to nothing but Chick Corea. Charlize[/b][/quote]I got into Chick big time as a teen ager. Loved all the electric band stuff. Don't listen to it much now though. Dave Wekyl did influence my drumming durring that time.
Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

Wow, this thread really dates us! I too was a child in the sixties. I was born during the last week of 1958. " [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000JPM7001001/103-9590553-5312658]The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don\'t Be Late)[/url] " was the number one hit at the time! :D [b]Who were your musical influences as a kid?[/b] Even though I started playing piano and writing at age six, I didn't have many conscious influences until my teen years. The few that influenced me were: • Herb Alpert, when I played trumpet, during fourth and fifth grades. • Santana, when I started playing drums and percussion in seventh grade. • Elton John, when I began to learn blues licks on piano in the summer of 1971. I spent a lot of time jamming along with the live [i]11/17/70[/i] version of "Take Me To Your Pilot." [b]Which artists did you like A LOT back then?[/b] Stravinsky's [i]Rite Of Spring[/i] was the first piece of music I loved. It made a great soundtrack for playing with toy dinosaurs! The first LP I ever owned however, was Bartok's [i]Music For Strings, Percussion, and Celeste.[/i] Later, I discovered rock/pop music. The first two bands that I really liked were The Rolling Stones and The Monkees. Other early faves included The Beatles, Paul Revere And The Raiders, Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass, Herman's Hermits, The Doors, and Neil Diamond. I also liked the Motown sound, but I didn't really have any favorite Motown acts. In sixth grade, I watched Woodstock in its first theatrical release. It had a BIG effect on me, and I added several new favorites to my list: Crosby, Stills, and Nash, The Who, and Sly And The Family Stone. I also liked Steppenwolf and Creedence Clearwater Revival back then. As the seventies began, I rounded out my preteens by getting into Elton John, Carole King, Chicago, Janis Joplin, and Santana. I think that those who mentioned the dominance of AM radio in the sixties really hit the nail on the head. It was a singles driven format. There were a lot of songs that I liked, but I became a lot more concerned with who the artists were when FM Album Oriented Radio prevailed in the seventies. We had a progressive rock station in Phoenix back then that exposed me to Yes, Captain Beefheart, and Mahavishnu Orchestra in 1972 when I was just thirteen, but that's a different topic… :) [b]Which artists do you still like today?[/b] I still enjoy all of them, although I don't really like anything Neil Diamond did after 1969, and The Tijuana Brass and Herman's Hermits would probably wear thin pretty fast. [b]Which artists for better or worse, have a big influence on you now?[/b] Considering that I work in contemporary pop, none of those artists have a big influence on me, except in the sense that today's music wouldn't be the same without them. However, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Sly And The Family Stone, and Elton John might influence me in some ways from time to time. If I were to return to "serious music," Stravinsky and Bartok would both have an influence on me as well.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Ok, I cheated. My previous post did sneak in some teen year stuff, so now I'll go waaaaay back to the earliest, before my brother owned a record player....before the Beatles.... It's coming into focus now, 1958 Midland Texas, I was 5...I had the mumps, there were tumbleweeds and all these fences around the suburban houses were made of cinderblocks.... Pat Boone "Big Cold Wind" Johnny Cash "Ring of Fire" Lawrence Welk Orchestra "Baby Elephant Walk" Tennessee Ernie Ford "Sixteen Tons" I like hearing Jiminy Cricket sing anything in the Disney classics.... Around 12 yrs old we watched films of Leonard Bernsteins "Young People's Guide to the Orchestra" which I found fascinating. These songs sent me into a real alpha state as a kiddo... any Appalachian folk tune like the one with the words "Across the wide Missouri" Christmas Carols...especially Good King Wenceslas, Silent Night, "In Excelsis Deo", "What Child is This (Greensleeves)". Christmas albums, Bing Crosby's "White Christmas", Perry Como's album, etc. And the perennial school music class favorites, Peter and the Wolf, the theme from the Lone Ranger (William Tell Overture), and Dance Macabre. Under the enchantment of the Appalachian folk stuff, I wrote my first melody when I was about 6, using only black keys, key of F# (which worked real well in imitating the scales in the folk tunes). It still is a pretty, yearning sort of tune. I called it "Harbon Left Before" because I had this weird/vague idea that people turned into "harbon" when they died (probably "carbon" from some encyclopedia entry was the source), and this was a sad elegy to some unknown dead person. Last early rave - Judy Garland singing Over The Rainbow from the movie. Ahh, what magic in those early years..... M Peasley

Born in 1963. I had an older brother and sister. They listened to the Beatles, lots of jazz, and whatever was popular. The first LP I remember as being my own was a Roger Miller's greatest hits record. "Dang Me" must have had an effect on my sense of humor, because it can be very dark at times :D My best friend around age 5 had an older brother who was into heavy rock. We used to listen to his albums when he was gone, stuff like early Grand Funk ("On Time", the "Red Album", "Live Album"), The Who's "Tommy", Led Zeppelin "I", and The Guess Who ("American Woman","Share the Land"). That style of Guitar/Bass/Drums rock is still my favorite stuff. Frank

I was born in '70. My parents were cool, both musicians, and got me some good records for my little Winnie the Pooh record player: Yes-Fragile, KISS-Alive, Led Zep-IV, Eagles-Greatest Hits, Beatles-Red greatest hits and the 'Rock n Roll' comp, some 'kidz' klassical' type stuff, the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, Mickey Mouse Disco, Chipmunk Punk, a few of those "wacky" K-Tel comps they'd advertise on TV. My folks were into classical and folk, so I'd always hear their Simon & Garfunkel, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, John Denver, Peter Paul & Mary. On their radio late at night they'd leave on the easy listening station, which I totally dug - great melodies, beautiful stuff. I love all that stuff now, absolutely, and the influences are pretty obvious in my taste today and musical output. Funky, melodic, lotsa blue notes, pretty vocals.. that's what I go for.

Archived