Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Juicy Dish on Jotown

For those of you who are not hip to this guy let me spill all now- The first time I had ever laid eyes on him was at the Hamtramck festival several years ago and his band was on stage doing a rendition of "Brick House" that had the crowd moving and grooving! Very shortly after that he was doing a solo gig at Suzy's in Hamtown and I made it a point to go up and introduce myself and see what this guy was all about, and I am glad I did because he turned out to be a super nice guy that has more soul than most of the Detroit bands that i had been exposed to up until that time. My advice to all in the Detroit area, if you ever get a shot to see a Jotown show, it is VERY WELL worth it! Detroit loves ya Jotown!
This way, no, wait, that way!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a transplanted Detroiter I sometimes miss the big D. Hamtown is a cool hang. Hey is Lili's still around? Jotown I'm impressed. Next time I'm home I hope you guys are playin'

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

[quote]Originally posted by RobT: [b]As a transplanted Detroiter I sometimes miss the big D. Hamtown is a cool hang. Hey is Lili's still around? Jotown I'm impressed. Next time I'm home I hope you guys are playin'[/b][/quote]Lili's closed down for good about a month ago. Sad to see it go. It was an institution. The Motor Lounge closed a couple of months ago also. It is not good news when 2 once popular bars close in one summer. Hey Mike thanks for the kind words. I havent been playing in Hamtown much these days. There is no where left for me to hit. I am workin' out in the burbs these days. I'll send you that $5.00 and a pound of pierogi. Hey Dbunny, the website had to come down for some legal reasons that will soon be sorted out. I got a cease and desist from O'town,(can you frickin believe that!) that one was mostly a nuisance thing. And another legal web related issue that came up at the end of the summer. Anyway Jotown.com will be back up soon.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Jotown, ya must be one heck of a guy to warrant this kind of a posting. I'm not surprized though, I lived and worked in Detroit back in the 70s. A lot of great people up in your neck of the woods. There was a place in Dearborn Heights we worked as house band for two or three years. The club was "The Side Door". Right next to the giant "Redi-Whip" cans. I'm pretty sure it's gone now. It was a lot of fun at the time though. Had Wayne Cochran there once for a couple of nights. A very crazy man and one hell of an energetic performer!!! Had lot's of interesting people stopping in there. Ted Nugent was one of the more well known that came in to jam with us. Also had "Redbone" stop in and get up to jam one night before they played a concert at Cobo. It was great times and the heyday for night clubs. If people partied like that these days we would all be working regularly but then again, we'd all be locked up most every night cuz there were damned few who ever left that club that could pass a breath-o-lizer! Let alone being tested for other substances. Detroit is a great city for music.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Yeah, you got it right, the The Side Door is no longer there. Those were the days. The Ford Rd. strip had live band venues from Telegraph all the way to Newburgh. Miles of live music. Of course that was before Karaoke came along like locust and pretty much wiped out the live band scene up there. I think there are only about 3 or 4 places on that same stretch of road that have bands anymore. I guess it's a sign of the times. :(

It's sad to hear about all the bars in Detroit closing. What really makes this a bad affair is the fact that Detroit has such a large, vibrant music scene. If it's true what I hear, though, it seems that regardless of the closed bars, the D'town scene is in good hands.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Yeah, but it's a vicious cycle. Less clubs = less work. Less work = less bands. There is only one sure way to keep a band together; gigs and money. As cat's get older, kids wife, day job. The only thing that motivates most musicians is a gig. The other thing is, a band will only be tight if they are playing together on a regular basis. Most of my buddies are in three of four bands at the same time. The only way that they can hope to work often is to have a few irons in the fire. But here in Motown we are hanging in there.

Archived