Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ACOUSTIC PIANOS

After many many years of apartment living I've moved and am getting ready to buy an acoustic piano.

It is still; however, a small place so I'm wanting an upright not a grand. I would appreciate hearing anyone's ideas and opinions about which one is best.

My budget is somewhere around $3500 or lower so I'm probably not going to get a Steinway or something like that.

Also, since this site seems more synth oriented than piano-perhaps there's somewhere else I should check out also.

Thanks

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure about piano prices but a good second Yamaha will always do. If your looking for more character I would suggest a well looked after, German one like Schimmel, Feurich, Bechstein, Steinweg, Steinberg or Ibach (there's lots of 'em). I think new pianos are rather expensive for what you're getting. Just have a real close look at the second hand ones. I know several people who found a jewel that way. Good luck!

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

I'm not sure about piano prices but a good second Yamaha will always do. If your looking for more character I would suggest a well looked after, German one like Schimmel, Feurich, Bechstein, Steinweg, Steinberg or Ibach (there's lots of 'em). I think new pianos are rather expensive for what you're getting. Just have a real close look at the second hand ones and let your ears decide. I know several people who found a jewel that way. Good luck!

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Also, since this site seems more synth oriented than piano-perhaps there's somewhere else I should check out also.
You'd be surprised how many Piano 'Experts' hang here...be patient...I'm sure you'll get more good advice than you imagined. In the past there were threads about Pianos...I was delighted to see how many of us still love a real acoustic piano.

Check out the Kawai vertical pianos. I'm a piano tuner/technician and Kawai is one of my favorites. A little more bang for the buck, and another thing I like is the tuning stability of the Kawai. They will hold a tuning longer and under more adverse conditions than most any piano. Steinways are so expensive, I don't consider them unless you have an unlimited budjet. They are great pianos but you're paying for the name too. Balwin makes a great piano also, I worked for the dealership here for 10 years and always found them to be well built, great sounding piano unless you get into their entry level stuff. Yamahas are always good, they have amazing quality control. American pianos sound different than Japanese pianos. The Japanese pianos stress the fundamental tone and are brighter sounding, while the American pianos are more harmonically rich and have a little less sustain. The one you like is personal preference. I recommend the Kawai, which is a Japanese piano.

Patience is key. I looked for over a year before finding our piano (a restored 1927 Steinway M). If you can save a little more money during your search, you might find a Steinway that you can afford. A Steinway is truly an investment, because they hold value better than any other make and it will last for future generations.

Mason and Hamlin was a piano that, many years ago, rivaled Steinway. These were built here in Rochester, so many can be found in the area. They made outstanding uprights. If you ever find one in CA, consider it.

Mason and Hamlin is a very fine piano, in fact

my favorite of all pianos. They are just built like a tank, have unbelievable craftsmanship and sound wonderful. They are hard to come by these days. Most have been scooped up by dealers who want exorbitant prices. You might find one in some out of the way place, like a church or school or just somebody who doesn't know what it is. I bought a Mason and Hamlin grand from a nursing home for $2000.00 did a little work on it and sold it for $10,000. I wish I'd kept it. One of the best pianos I've ever played.

If you buy used, definitely get it checked by a technician. There's going to be some extra cost for regulation and tuning or even rebuilding that could be a little or a lot and then you've got moving cost too. A good used piano is hard to come by. Beware of "rebuilt pianos". I have seen very few that were worth a damn. What they usually mean is partially rebuilt. There's no way to put the crown back in a soundboard after it's relaxed. Ok everybody says a good piano will last forever. Not True. The general rule (of course there are exceptions) is a piano has 50 years of good service. So if you buy an average piano made in 1950 it is pretty well used up. Old is bad. Even on a Steinway.

Archived