Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for piano-like feel and sound

anniep23

I have just started shopping for a keyboard that will provide the most piano-like feel and sound. I have a Steinway grand at home but I'm looking for something less expensive that requires less space and offers the other advantages of a digital keyboard. What keyboards/systems would you recommend? Also I have been looking at the Pro Mega 3. Any comments on Pro Mega 3?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say get prepared for some self-delusion. Nothing out there will come close without a determined willing suspension of disbelief.

There are midi dealies you can install on your steinway to really enjoy the best of both worlds.

I had myself pretty well fooled for a while there, but the reality that no way does it even sound close has recently come crashing in on me.

I wonder which way the geometric progression is going, as we approach the real piano barrier. Does it take another 90% improvement to gain that last 10% that will convince?

The time is not yet ripe- I wonder will it be 3 years or 30 years, or will we approach within tantalization range and then abandon PCM digital and midi and start over in the new dark ages with yet another new promising technology...

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Uh, yeah, like Ted says, buy an 88 key controller that feels right and a PC with Gigasampler on it ;) With a few of the finer Piano samples thrown in you should be able to bring the deal in at under 3000, and what you get in terms of piano samples is worlds ahead of most keyboards, in my humbop.

...or get a Yamaha. And give me the Steinway.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Hmmm, my solution, of course, also requires a good soundcard for the computer and a decent monitoring situatio, and a little bit of willing ness to mess with a computer. But if piano sound is the premium, I think it's the best route.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Yeah, the real question here is what do you really want out of this thing. An action that feels like your Steinway? A piano that sounds like your Steinway? Both? The short answer is to go out and play as many as you can get your hands on since opinions on which is best is largely based on what you prefer in a real piano anyway, but if you can be more specific on what you plan to use it for we can be more helpful.

-Casey

I have 4 pianos and 2 88 key "piano-action" keyboards. Every one feels different than every other one. FWIW both the Roland RD700 and Alesis DG8 have a sound and feel that I am comfortable with - meaning I'd play them on a live gig in a pinch without grumbling too much. I don't own either one and I don't know if long exposure would expose their compromises to me, as it has done with the 2 I own.

Scott

I am new to the digital/electronic keyboard world. Probably most significant to me would be the keyboard feel/action. I am working a lot on technique on the Steinway and am currently playing mostly classical. When I play on the keyboard, I would like to be able to use the same technique to make it rather transparent when I move between the two. Thanks to all of you for your input. This is also my first time to use a forum and I am very impressed with the knowledge of the responders.

Hmm, honestly I think you will have to settle for a bit less realism than your Steinway, and I think you'll know what I mean as soon as you sit down in front of a digital keyboard and try to play it as expressively as your REAL piano. The big problems are:

1. Digital piano actions feel weird. I mean, compared to a real piano it's just not the same although some are very good and even, dare I say it, enjoyable to play.

2. The sound. Digital pianos all "play back" recordings of a real piano when you press a note. Due to space restrictions in the memory of the unit the manufacturer may reuse that sample on other notes by pitch-shifting it, and other velocities by just changing it's volume. So you may find that certain something missing from the sound on these units. That's why, for your needs, I recommend playing as many as possible and then, like many others here have said, getting Gigasampler, since this PC based program can use many more huge samples than the manufacturers can squeeze into their units.

-Casey

Archived