Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone have the JV-1010 or JV880

Blaster

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The JV-1010 is a great addition to your set-up. I have both the XP-30 and 1010 and while the soundsets are the same (save the Orch and techno boards), I find they compliment each other.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

The Roland 1080 has gone down to about $650 and for the price, I think its still one of the best sound modules. With the expansion cards, my 1080 is used constantly. Great investment. Might get another one.

Peace,

Ernest

The JV1080's are older and don't have CC control of cutoff and resonance. But they have two sets of stereo outs... and they are easier to get around in than the JV1010. And you can put more expansion cards in them.

Good all round tools.

Jerry

Originally posted by Tusker:

The JV1080's are older and don't have CC control of cutoff and resonance.

Jerry

When I bought mine I also got a bunch of papers explaning how to achieve this.

I haven't read them yet tough.

If anyone is interested I'll do that and come back.

Originally posted by Robert Smedberg:

The JV1080's are older and don't have CC control of cutoff and resonance.

Jerry

When I bought mine I also got a bunch of papers explaning how to achieve this.

You can achieve it. It takes more work, and is less elegant.

On the older super JV synths (XP50 and JV1080) you need to program the modulation matrix to listen to controllers you will designate for controlling cutoff and resonance. The process uses up the two controllers you have other than the modulation controller. You will end up with modified patches in the user bank instead of just pulling stock patches up and using them.

On the newer models (JV1010 for example), they will listen to CC71 (I believe) for resonance and CC74 (I believe) for cutoff on all patches. This is a definite timesaver if things like filter sweeps are an important part of your synth vocabulary.

Regards,

Jerry

• 2 years later...

I have a 1010 (on loan now to a partner) and love it. I didn't care about the editing when I got it, and still don't. I just wanted the soundset, and it's worth more than I paid for it, IMO. When I use it for sequencing, I just sysex the setup.

Great low cost module, as is the 2020.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Originally posted by aliengroover:

I have a 1010 (on loan now to a partner) and love it. I didn't care about the editing when I got it, and still don't. I just wanted the soundset, and it's worth more than I paid for it, IMO. When I use it for sequencing, I just sysex the setup.

Great low cost module, as is the 2020.

Peace

Hi aliengroover, thanks for the response. Glad to hear you like the 1010! I should have mentioned that I'm bumping this thread because I'm looking for a harp sound for live use. I'd use it maybe only a dozen times a year, so am hoping to buy used. Can you remember if it includes a harp? Maybe that's standard on this kind of thing??

Thanks! Sue

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

There are a couple of harps in the stock sounds (C49 and C50). If you install the optional orchestral board you can get some more harps (3 basic and a couple of strums).

Nevertheless the stock harps are pretty decent.

Jerry

There are a couple of harps in the stock sounds (C49 and C50). If you install the optional orchestral board you can get some more harps (3 basic and a couple of strums).

Nevertheless the stock harps are pretty decent.

Jerry

:wave: Yahoo!!

Ok, so who wants to sell their old 1010. Isn't it about time you upgraded to the 2020? Just kidding. I've never bought anything on Ebay before. Wish me luck.

The JV1010 and XP30 are duller sounding than all the other JVs and XPs. Roland cut corners on them and the fidelity really suffered. Even the old JV80 and JV880 sound far more brilliant than the JV1010 and XP30.

the 1080, 2080, 3080, 5080, XP80, XP60, XP50, etc all sound fine...it's just the JV1010 and XP30 that got short changed.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by Jazz+:

The JV1010 and XP30 are duller sounding than all the other JVs and XPs. Roland cut corners on them and the fidelity really suffered. Even the old JV80 and JV880 sound far more brilliant than the JV1010 and XP30.

the 1080, 2080, 3080, 5080, XP80, XP60, XP50, etc all sound fine...it's just the JV1010 and XP30 that got short changed.

Jazz+! I give you points for tenacity. ;)

I don't know if brilliance is a big issue, particularly since I can't really fake a scale glissando in a key other than C all that well. Better no one hears exactly what I'm up to. I just need something pretty.

I'm going to need a lesson on the ins and outs of sound module - keyboard - speakers, hoping I can switch from the promega pianos to the roland harp without having to unplug anything (?!), wondering if I can layer both together... I don't get it.

Thanks, though.

Ivercaut, I recognize your name. Don't you have a promega too? Do you still love it or what? Haven't heard from you recently.

The most appealing thing about the 1010 to me, is the size. It's little. Little is good. :cool:

Gangsu,

i had a P-250 before and sold it for an S90 because i really like the S700 triple strike piano and all the other Rhodes and keyboard sounds in it.

I never owned a promega but it was close.Just had a problem with the looks and the keyboard action.But soundwise...great!

Greetings from Antwerp,

lvercaut

Question. Do both the sound module and the keyboard have to be plugged into the speakers, meaning I would need a mixer :( and because the 1010 does not have balanced outs, I would also need a DI? :cry: Tell me it isn't so.

Originally posted by lvercaut:

Gangsu,

i had a P-250 before and sold it for an S90 because i really like the S700 triple strike piano and all the other Rhodes and keyboard sounds in it.

I never owned a promega but it was close.Just had a problem with the looks and the keyboard action.But soundwise...great!

Greetings from Antwerp,

lvercaut

oops, sorry Ivercaut don't think me rude, I missed your post. Thanks for saying hi!

Sorry for confusing your earlier interest with ownership. Guess I got too excited and jumped to conclusions.

Have a good day. Or wait, which way is the earth turning, have a good night. Get some sleep. ? :D

Yes, indeed.The difference is about 7 hours i think.11.00 PM for me is 4.00 PM in your country i think.( AM is in the morning right ?).

Gonna have dinner now (after a hard and sad day at work) then gonna play my S90 for a few hours...

All the best,

lvercaut

I have a JV-880 and JV 1080 with the "Sessions" expansion board....both units have their high points...and both have some very nice high quality sounds. I use them in conjuction with a JP-8000 and this gives me tons of great sounds to work with.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by djwayne:

I have a JV-880 and JV 1080 with the "Sessions" expansion board....both units have their high points...and both have some very nice high quality sounds. I use them in conjuction with a JP-8000 and this gives me tons of great sounds to work with.

Hi. I'd be real worried about 32 note polyphony doing harp stuff. I'm a bit worried about 64! but enough people have me convinced it's no big deal.

Ivercaut, sorry to hear you had a crappy day at work. Hope it's nothing a good night won't fix.

the S90 looks like a keyboard I'd enjoy learning on. Funny, I'd have thought the feel would compare to the promega. It's interesting how we'll play any old upright and not argue, but get downright nasty when it comes to digital action. Maybe I just speak for myself.

So, Promega question if anybody's listening. Will I be able to assign one of the banks to the sound module, and call up several (up to 15?) sounds and various effects using the PM3 controls of that bank? That would be nice.

Also, is there more to setting it all up than a simple midi cable?

Am I dreaming?

Well you can get into ineterfaces if you're doing midi programming and sequencing on a computer. I use a Opcode Studio 4 and Studio XTC 64, for that, but for basic playing just a simple midi cord from the keyboard controller to the sound module, then your audio out cables to a mixer or amp, is all you really need.

I also have the Proteus 1 and 2, and Vintage Keys and a Yamaha drum machine, so routings can get complictated when you're trying to play multiple units and midi-channels at the same time thru a sequencer...it's possible, but can have routing problems, and setup can get time consuming. Anymore, I just record audio tracks instead of midi notes.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by gangsu:

Question. Do both the sound module and the keyboard have to be plugged into the speakers, meaning I would need a mixer :( and because the 1010 does not have balanced outs, I would also need a DI? :cry: Tell me it isn't so.

Yes, it is, unfortunately. The piano and the module are both sound sources. The only thing transmitted through MIDI cables is information ("which note should sound out of my module?"(!)).

Layering sounds is easy though, and possible without unplugging cables. Tune both your piano and your module on the same MIDI channel (it's kinda like TV :) ) and you're ready to go. More precise: the MIDI transmit channel of the piano should match the MIDI receive channel of the module.

Archived