Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classical Music CD's.

RABid

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mainly the very popular stuff...im still building the collection...plus ive taken up classical piano so listening/playing lots of bach.

I love the cello, so have Elgar (i think) plus Bachs preludes. ANd finally have started to get a bit more into chamber music like the Trout etc especially quartets/quintets...they sound really pure to me.

Miserere - Allegri

The Planets - Holst

Scheherzade - Rimsky-Korsakov

7th & 9th Symphonies - Beethoven

Finlandia - Sibelius

Organ Concerto - Saint Saens

Eine Alpensinfonie - Richard Strauss

If those don't inspire you to start stealing riffs & chord progressions, take up karaoke!

:D Scott

Gosh, there's so much good stuff ...

A few favorites, though:

Chopin piano pieces (I like "My Favorite Chopin," by Van Cliburn)

Aaron Copeland, "Appalachian Spring"

Brahms Piano Concerti Nos. 2 and 3

Dvorak's "New World" symphony

Most anything by Debussy ...

I usually go in phases where I listen to a lot of classical music for a while, then don't listen to almost any .... This post makes me want to dust off a few discs, though, for sure. thanks!

Chris

Debussy piano works on Nonesuch label as played by Paul Jacobs!

Evelyn Glennie! with marvelous classical pianist who can improvise- Phillip Smith!

Classical guitar for ultra mellow moods...

Ravel "la tombeau de couperin" and all that! Ondine! Scarbo the dwarf! the Gibbet! :eek:

Anything conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas!

The Art of the Fugue!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Too many to mention... But recently, I took a short vacation and I drove for two hours to the mountains. I put the Goldbergs played by Keith Jarrett in the car stereo, of all things... and on *harpsicord*! My friend and I listened in awe without saying a word. Amazing!!

Also, Strvinsky's "Rite of Spring" by Zubin Metha

Chopin's "Studies" by Pollini

Shostakovitch "Preludes and Fugues" by K. Sherbakov

and of course the Well Tempered Clavier played by Glenn Gould - I listen to it once a month at least. :)

Marino - is the Glenn GOuld performance on piano or harpsichord? I'm looking for a nice piano performance.

My list topper is the Brahms BbM Piano Concerto. It's such a powerful piece. Of the biggies, his music always seems to fall into my fingers, too. All of his short piano pieces.

Pick a Brandenburg, or the 2 Violin Concerto by Bach.

I also love the Solti-Chicago recordings of the Beethoven symphonies.

Does anyone have a favorite recording of "The Rites of Spring"

Originally posted by Bubbajazz:

Marino - is the Glenn GOuld performance on piano or harpsichord? I'm looking for a nice piano performance.

My list topper is the Brahms BbM Piano Concerto. It's such a powerful piece. Of the biggies, his music always seems to fall into my fingers, too. All of his short piano pieces.

Does anyone have a favorite recording of "The Rites of Spring"

Gould played the WTC on the piano - he very seldom played harpsicord. It's one of his greatest recordings IMO.

BTW I DON'T advice his recording of the Brahms Bb concerto with Bernstein. It's so slow and peculiar, I feel you should hear a more "normal" interpretation before Gould's.

I have two version of the Rite of Spring - by S.Ozawa and Z.Metha. Both are excellent.

Carlo

Archived