Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Okay...an admission of guilt

Jeff Klopmeyer

Well, my fine friends, I have a confession to make.

When the idea for the "Cornered & Covered" CD was brought up last fall, I was happy, since it gave me the opportunity to record my version of a cover that I'd wanted to do for a long, long time.

So, I started out just messing around with ideas. Then the ideas grew more solid, and I started to get excited about them. Then, as I began to track the tune, I realized I had something pretty cool going on.

After the tune had been finished and mastered, I started showing it to a few friends just to get their input and make sure I wasn't getting overly enthusiastic about this project. One of those friends is the VP of A&R at a big, big record label. I especially wanted his opinion..after all, he hears about a hundred new tunes each week.

Anyway, to make a long story short: I did not submit the tune for the cover CD for a reason. It's going to be on my debut album (which after 15 years of talking about it I'm finally doing), which very well may end up as a major label release. No promises and no false expectations -- the whole thing could fall apart, of course -- but I want the version of the tune to have its initial debut on my album. I think y'all understand.

I have no pretentions of going back to being a recording/performing musician full time. I like my job at TASCAM, I like the steady paycheck and insurance and all that. I will not tour (well, maybe a few dates, but that's it). Spending time with my little boy is more important than all the audience accolades in the world.

But if the idea for the cover CD hadn't come up, I'd never have bothered to track the tune, never bothered to contact my pal, et cetera, et cetera. So, thanks to dB and everyone who suggested this. I'll keep you updated on how this is going...it'll probably be late summer before it's all said and done.

- Jeff, the musician guy (again)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best of luck Jeff !

I want front row seats for the concert when you become famous.. while we're at it, why not some back stage passes :P

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Oh, WOW!!!

That is SO cool!! I hope it works out for you!!

Say, maybe you could direct your A&R friend to the origianls compilation we did? ;)

Seriously though, that's a GREAT opportunity and I hope it pans out!

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Arrrrrgh! Stop, please.

The entire thing is a maybe-sorta-possibly-kinda thing at this stage. It's just so far, I'm one out of twenty steps closer than I would have been had I not done this tune and shown it to one cool friend. There's still 19 chances that it won't happen to any degree of significance.

I'd never intended on trying to do anything commercially oriented as an artist, so whether this happens or not, the best thing is a) having done a few tunes I really am proud of and b) getting the experience of going through this process.

Considering that right now, it's based on two originals and the cover (with the cover being the favorite thus far), let's not celebrate prematurely.

But thanks. It is rather cool. ;)

- Jeff

Jeff, I think that's so cool. After the initial flush of envy green, that is. Ever hear the song "Chalkhills and Children" by XTC? It's largely about dreams coming true long after they ceased being your dreams. Still the chance to get some music out there, that's what counts. Rock on.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Jeff - that's totally understandable. I've had concerns about contributing new songs to collections for just that reason.

Great news that your buddy liked what he heard, though - and if he decides to pass on it, maybe it will still inspire you to finish the CD and put it out on your own. Think of all the folks who'd love to hear the Tascam Marketing Weasel's music! (myself included....)

:thu:

lz

www.lauriez.com

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Well, my fine friends, I have a confession to make.

When the idea for the "Cornered & Covered" CD was brought up last fall, I was happy, since it gave me the opportunity to record my version of a cover that I'd wanted to do for a long, long time.

So, I started out just messing around with ideas. Then the ideas grew more solid, and I started to get excited about them. Then, as I began to track the tune, I realized I had something pretty cool going on.

After the tune had been finished and mastered, I started showing it to a few friends just to get their input and make sure I wasn't getting overly enthusiastic about this project. One of those friends is the VP of A&R at a big, big record label. I especially wanted his opinion..after all, he hears about a hundred new tunes each week.

Anyway, to make a long story short: I did not submit the tune for the cover CD for a reason. It's going to be on my debut album (which after 15 years of talking about it I'm finally doing), which very well may end up as a major label release. No promises and no false expectations -- the whole thing could fall apart, of course -- but I want the version of the tune to have its initial debut on my album. I think y'all understand.

I have no pretentions of going back to being a recording/performing musician full time. I like my job at TASCAM, I like the steady paycheck and insurance and all that. I will not tour (well, maybe a few dates, but that's it). Spending time with my little boy is more important than all the audience accolades in the world.

But if the idea for the cover CD hadn't come up, I'd never have bothered to track the tune, never bothered to contact my pal, et cetera, et cetera. So, thanks to dB and everyone who suggested this. I'll keep you updated on how this is going...it'll probably be late summer before it's all said and done.

- Jeff, the musician guy (again)

Keep going Jeff! I'll be O.K.

I'm planning to start collecting CD's from all the members of the MusicPlayer forums, so finish yours and I'll buy it from you, I feel it'll be a great CD and a great collection Item.

I will post a thread when I'm ready to start buying from all the guys here!

I wish the best!!!

I can say Hey! this one is from Tascam Jeff! :cool::)

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Spending time with my little boy is more important than all the audience accolades in the world.
Truer words were never spoken...I grapple with this often...I've done the "road" many times in my life this moment in time is for my boy...there really is no question about it when you weigh priorities.

I'm a lucky man, lucky to have learned from my father's mistakes...he had an incredible career but he should have been home with his kids...I'm blessed to have the experience to understand the body of that.

Archived