Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I hate being the sales police!

Dave Bryce

Really, DB, I wouldn't mind if you talked about the design of the Andromeda more. I think it would be really interesting. Then again, I'm a card carrying geek. If we don't allow reps to show enthusiasm

Just to clarify...I don't think Dave works for Alesis anymore...he just really digs that synth and has never shyed away from saying so.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Just to clarify...I don't think Dave works for Alesis anymore...he just really digs that synth and has never shyed away from saying so.

I did know that. It was just an example. Perhaps I should have used Jeff and a Tascam product instead.

Originally posted by Postman:

Manufacturer's reps should be able to annouce products here as long as the message is custom made.

That's a big NO, NO for me.

That could turn into a advertizing forum were every second message is some kind of advert.

Like:

-Monstercables improves your synth sound-

-A new minidisc recorder from Sony-

-A new CD-rom from XXX is available now-

Spare us from that, please.

Originally posted by Postman:

Manufacturer's reps should be able to annouce products here as long as the message is custom made.

I also dissagree. Good threads scroll down too fast as it is. If product announcements are made it should be a single thread like the "Hear This" or "Introductions" threads.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Robert Smedberg:

That's a big NO, NO for me.

That could turn into a advertizing forum were every second message is some kind of advert.

Like:

-Monstercables improves your synth sound-

-A new minidisc recorder from Sony-

-A new CD-rom from XXX is available now-

Spare us from that, please.

But those aren't CUSTOM messages. In custom form they'd be more like:

-Monstercables are what YOU, B3Guy and B3Nut, have been looking for! Cables with some weight to them, like REAL gear, none of that sissy moderne crap!

-The new minidisc recorder is available from Sony for Bobro- now those public restroom recordings you've always dreamed about can be yours!

-A new CD-ROM from XXX is available now, Dan South- we all read your postings in the Trombone thread and know how much you need an XXX CD-ROM!

That would be acceptable. To tell the truth I don't mind sharpshooter salespeople, it's spray and pray that bugs me.

-CB

Funny - nobody minds if someone posts, "check out this cool new Oxygen8 MIDI controller" - but judging from the responses to this thread, if it were a Midiman or Midiman dealer employee, everyone would be offended. Still, isn't this useful and interesting information, regardless of where it comes from?

When E-MU dropped the prices on the XL-7 and MP-7, would that information only have been useful non-Spam if it had come from a non MI employee? Or would it have been ok for someone to say, "hey, by the way, the prices on the XL-7 and MP-7 just dropped."

Most employees of MI companies are end users. They should be able to post as such, as long as the posts are reasonable and contribute to the forum - am I to understand that they can do so only if they say who they work for?

True Spam will continue to be obvious - we can call it when we see it - don'tcha think?

Originally posted by Bobro:

But those aren't CUSTOM messages. In custom form they'd be more like:

-Monstercables are what YOU, B3Guy and B3Nut, have been looking for! Cables with some weight to them, like REAL gear, none of that sissy moderne crap!

-The new minidisc recorder is available from Sony for Bobro- now those public restroom recordings you've always dreamed about can be yours!

-A new CD-ROM from XXX is available now, Dan South- we all read your postings in the Trombone thread and know how much you need an XXX CD-ROM!

That would be acceptable. To tell the truth I don't mind sharpshooter salespeople, it's spray and pray that bugs me.

-CB

But isn't it easier to mail those privately in that case?

Well I just had to add this:

Attention manufacturers and retailer:

If you want to get your messages across to this community, please give me a call, I'd love to discuss:

Joe McDonough

National Sales Manager/MusicPlayer.com

212-378-0492

jmcdonough@musicplayer.com

I guess that's spam though, huh? :):)

Joe McDonough

Music Player Network

Originally posted by Robert Smedberg:

But isn't it easier to mail those privately in that case?

Right. The best related experiences I've had went like this:

CB on forum- "is there such and such a piece of gear/feature...?"

MIguy on forum- "Why yes there is, it's my life, my love and my profession, can I email you privately?"

CB- "Sure!"

-CB

I agree with the policy, but.....

What if within the Keyboard Magazine Forum, another Forum (parallel to The Keyboard Corner) is opened. Would it be possible?. There, developers could open threads mentioning their products, letting us know of updates or future projects and they could answer our questions. The policy in that forum could be that a developer (or any of his participant employees) should be banned if he does not participate answering questions. I would not like a forum just to read adds.

From a non developer.

Funny - nobody minds if someone posts, "check out this cool new Oxygen8 MIDI controller" - but judging from the responses to this thread, if it were a Midiman or Midiman dealer employee, everyone would be offended. Still, isn't this useful and interesting information, regardless of where it comes from?

I don't think so. If someone likesoapbox posts something like that it's because he thinks it's genuinely cool, not because he's trying to sell units. There's a big difference, wouldn't you say? I certainly would...

When E-MU dropped the prices on the XL-7 and MP-7, would that information only have been useful non-Spam if it had come from a non MI employee? Or would it have been ok for someone to say, "hey, by the way, the prices on the XL-7 and MP-7 just dropped."

See previous response.

In addition, if that info were to come from someone who worked for a music retailer, I would be concerned that their motivation were to use this forum in order to cultivate business. I do not want that to happen here.

Most employees of MI companies are end users. They should be able to post as such, as long as the posts are reasonable and contribute to the forum

I agree with that, as long as they are posting as end-users.

am I to understand that they can do so only if they say who they work for?

I think that this should only apply when someone is talking about their own products and/or slagging a competitor's product - (actually I hate negative selling...I think it's weak). To do otherwise strikes me as being a bit...well...sneaky.

We solicit and listen to each others opinions here because we want to hear what others like us think, not because we want someone to sell us something. As a matter of fact, that is precisely why many people come here to discuss gear rather than just going to a music store - they want the opinions of people who have nothing to gain by offering them.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

A few months ago an LA-area music retailer was having a sale on Roland Sampler CD-ROMs. This was a BIG SALE, $300 discs marked down to $30. I wrestled back and forth with the urge to post this on this board. On one hand, as a Roland Sampler owner I would love to know about a sale like that. On the other hand, I would hate it if this became a common topic on the board. I could easily see it turn into topics like "What dealer should I call for the best price on a Karma?"

In the end I didn't post anything about the sale to avoid being flamed, even though I wouldn't have benefited. I think the board is doing a good job of staying commercial-neutral, thanks to the discretion of almost all of it's members.

Hey guys,

Sorry I'm so late chiming in on this one, I was up at MacWorld all week.

But I would like to take this opportunity do direct you to my new website steadyb.com where we have the best gear at the best prices. In fact if you can get it anywhere else for less, pick me up one too. Everything at steadyb.com is great and everything from everywhere else sucks. So don't be a fool, go to steadyb.com or you'll be sorry.

Oh, I'm sorry, are we not allowed to spam here at the Keyboard Corner??? Good, I wouldn't want anyone to try to sell me anything here. If I want one annoying commercial after another, I'll go watch TV, ...or go to the movies, ...or drive down the street, ...or turn on the radio, ...or talk to a religious fanatic, ...etc.

Please let this be a "pitch free" zone.

steadyb

By the way the Lakers still have the best record in the league, and the Vikings and Raiders can't win a game to save their lives. Gruden should've taken the Notre Dame job.

I'm probably not here enough for my opinion to really matter, but FWIW, I like the sell-free zone. We should all help with enforcement. I'm really good at enforcement. (Right Steve? ;) )

I also think that the folks who work for MI makers are a very valuable source of information here, and the vast majority of the ones I've seen here do not abuse the spirit of the forum.

That said; I did think the idea of a single thread, started by Dave, where the plying of wares is permitted, like the "let's hear it" thread, is a good one. The reason is that I don't troll classifieds and I don't tend to do much recreational gearhead reading, but in the course of a discussion, if something relevant comes up I might dive into that thread.

Anyhow, buy my widget. :lol

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

this forum is awesome the way it is

a guininely neat place to hang out, feels like a friendly pub (and wasnt that your goal??).

i would hate to be bothered by advertising

but i also enjoy it when someone brings up a new piece of gear i havent heard before... but i agree with DB here as well, if a non-MI does it its just a friendly chat about equipment, if a MI does it, it'll feel like pushing.

i hope this place dosnt change, sorry you gotta be the bad guy Dave. maybe place a disclaimer at the register page??

Archived