Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's the better idea?

Intheether

With all the blow out deals at on-line retailers and stuff...what, based on personal experience please, would be better:

To buy a top of the line product (more features, keys, etc...) that's either used, b-stock, demo, refurb

OR

Buy a brand, spanking, out of the box product, that has less features, but will only touch your paws?

I really want an analog modeling keyboard/module, but can only go below 1000. Some retailers are offering 'demos' and the like for around there - it makes me a little nervous though. With all those knobs, how many have snapped off and been replaced, what guarantees do you get etc...

Thanks in advance. ~nel

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've bought several pieces "demo", and have generally had good luck. Play every key on the board, push every button and turn every knob and make sure they all work; a bent knob shaft will have a definite drag that you can feel. One thing I insist on is making sure they have the manuals, A/C adapters, and all accessories (check against the parts list in the manual). The only thing I ever bought without a manual was a Roland keyboard amp, anyone would be better off WITHOUT a Roland manual.

I have NOT had such good luck buying used gear through the mail. I bought a Carver power amp once, and since I was buying my home studio piecemeal, didn't have the speakers to go with it and couldn't check it out right away. Well, once I got the speakers the amp was deader 'n a doornail, and I had gone over the 30 days guarantee from Sweetwater and they wouldn't have anything to do with it. I tried to have it repaired locally but the repairman said so many things were burnt out it would be cheaper to buy a new one. Ouch. Another time I got an Alesis Midiverb III, but the AC adapter was the wrong one. Didn't worry about it, thought I'd pick up a replacement at Radio Shack, but then learned the Alesis adapter puts out 9V AC, not DC, and to this day have not been able to find a replacement (and now Alesis has ceas-ed, so I'm fully out of luck).

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I would only buy B stock from a dealer I trust to be competent enough to service the unit. I would also want to see it before buying the item. The last time I went into a Guitar Center (2 weeks ago when I wanted to see a Supernova II keyboard) it was shocking. Half of the keyboards on display were damaged beyond the point that I would consider buying. They had a B stock K2600XS for $100 off the regular price and I could not see the damage. The new floor model had a broken key. An 88 note weighted controller that I wanted was on sale for $499 and I started to buy it, then noticed the entire upper octave was broken, literally. The Waldorf Q keyboard had knobs missing and broken. The Yamaha DX200 had a knob missing. When I wanted to demo a keyboard no one could figure out why the sound system was not working. They finally brought me one of those headphones with only one earpiece. I kept wondering if I was only hearing half of the sound, or if the keyboard really sounded that bad. No matter. It also had a knob missing and they never had another in stock. I left that store totally depressed.

Look around. You frequently find new items at close out pricing that is cheaper than B stock items from another dealer. For analog modeling you might consider the Novation A Station if you do not need keys. I did get to listen to one and the sound is nice. Plenty of knobs packed close together.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

For analog modeling you might consider the Novation A Station

I think that's where I'm headed. Based on your experinces as well as my inner voice, b-stock, demos etc... may be bad news (esp. from on-line stock). Any one else have good/bad experience with demos? Robert, have you played the an200, how does it compare sound wise to the a-station? Anyone?

There's a big difference between "used/demo" and "refurb/b-stock". I pass on anything used that is more technologically advanced than the average electronic repair shop or instrument dealer can handle (guitars/amps/mics - OK, synths/outboard effects - no). I'd have a hard time buying a floor demo piece from a high traffic store like GC (I can't imagine how badly man-handled a Karma, Triton, or Fantom gets in 6 months on a GC floor). I have no problem with a boxed, refurbished, warranteed item. I bought my K2500RS as B-stock from Sweetwater, and there's no way to tell it from a new unit.

Originally posted by mzeger:

I bought my K2500RS as B-stock from Sweetwater, and there's no way to tell it from a new unit.

Ditto here. I bought both my kurz pc88mx (from Sam Ash in White Plains, NY) and K2000R (From MF) as B-stock. They were new, all wrapped, all acessories.

I would never buy a floor model from a store. I've seen the kind of abuse this things go thru.

I also generally against buying keyboards used. I've bought rack modules before, but they can usually handle the abuse a bit better (less mechanical parts), and usually the only blemist are some 'rack rashes'.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived