Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg's next big thing...?

dansouth

Korg's keyboards have "evolved" in a linear fashion. M1 -> 01W -> T3 -> Trinity -> Triton. Each time there were improvements along the way.

Any thoughts on how Korg will follow up the Triton? More sample RAM. Hard disk sample streaming? Higher resolution samples? More knobs for realtime control?

When do you think they'll lauch they're new flagship? 2002? 2003? Later?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally i think they're going to keep building on the Karma system and see how far they can push that. I don't know how many people here have spent a decent amount of time with it, but it's truly and incredible machine once you start digging around in it. I had the opportunity to use one for about 2 weeks and just fell in love with it. I didn't get nearly as far with it as i could have, but there's just sooo much to mess with in there, and IMHO the sound quality is just incredible.

Shiver

Rule #2: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

I have a hunch, or maybe just wishful thinking;

Recently I've noticed that Triton prices are starting to deflate, and the OASYS cards are being blown out at near giveaway prices. Could just be coincidence, but I'd bet Korg's finally gonna jump in the water and build the OASYS based workstation they've been hinting and teasing us with for the last 5 or 6 years.

And why not? The processors required for such an instrument are finally affordable, which is the only reason Korg hadn't released it yet. Besides workstations, Korg has a history of producing some more daring synths like the Wavestation, Prophecy, Z1, and Karma. I wouldn't be surprised if they release it within the next year. I'm getting an OASYS PCI card anyway, though! :)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

I believe Korg is coming up with something called "Triton studio" it's an 88Key keyboard and it will replace the "Triton Pro x" and will feature a hard disk recorder.

this is infomation is according to Another person who actully is started this.this person also told us about the the Triton LE before it was released and we all thought he was just trying to creat a rumer but it turned out to be true. so I should trust him on the "Triton studio" thing :) .

Vic:)

I have no idea, but I know what I would like:

A "Z2", with expanded polyphony and multitimbrality, a big touch display, lots of knobs, the triton effects, all the Korg physical models, and a waldorf style mod matrix.

Oh, and don't lose the touch pad.

Jerry

-Colored, LARGE lcd display :D

-Extended Polyphony

-Virtual Analog extended beyond the capabilities of MOSS

-A brand new piano sample, like the one found in new digital grand piano(I never liked KORGs pianos)

-Of course a new, trendy design and name, like Xzentric or something like that(Hey, its aimed at the trance market!)

Other than that I would believe its pretty much like the Triton.

Well, from Trinity and Prophecy -- largely judeo-christian synths--they evolved to the pagan Triton, and from Triton they moved east to the Hindu/Budhist Karma. Will they stay in the spiritual east and produce the "Upanishad" or maybe head further east with the "Tao"? Other possibilitities include The Druid, the Gnostic, or-- a bit of a reach but tantalizing nonetheless--the Apocrypha. The Caballa would be sweet, although difficult to learn and program. Similary, the I-ching, or the Rune.

I've got it: The Koan. I guarentee it.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Typical, sex appeal always sold KORGS and others name brands alike. Took them this long to tease and fondle at you into being their faithful subjects, but with enough consideration to you, the loyal consumer-synth-slaves? From all that I am reading here, we aren't exactly nor completely confident in KORG thus far. Craving, demanding bigger and better it seems? Improvements, improvements -- improvements; just like Mircro Soft-dix, coaxing us on, to buy into more of their crap and controlling more of our buying power, still only limiting more of our options.

Yes they are being really careful not to unleash everything at once (so they can cash in more), besides, the build of anticipation and massive consumer consumption is invigorating. But when will we truly be getting our pennies worth. And when will a product be improved upon enough to the point where we would actually notice any sort of improvement(s)? Far fetched. But we can keep hoping and fantasizing, right?

Or we can just really applaud the Roland Fantom and say "wow, it is truly a one of a kind".

*heheheheheheheheheheeee* I'm so sinical and biased its not funny!

Happy new years everyone!!

While not a big thing I think they might come out with a stage piano that could send the other guys back to the drawing board. The sp-100 undercuts the Yamaha p-80 by a hundred dollars with a better piano sound and no big price increase they could raid a lot of the affordable market away Yamaha,Roland,and Kurzweil. There are still a lot of people playing on the road who could use a good, relativly inexpensive piano.

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Originally posted by 1Empress_Scorpio:

From all that I am reading here, we aren't exactly nor completely confident in KORG thus far. Craving, demanding bigger and better it seems? Improvements, improvements -- improvements; just like Mircro Soft-dix, coaxing us on, to buy into more of their crap and controlling more of our buying power, still only limiting more of our options.

Well! You're definitely a difficult Empress to impress! ;)

For the record, I LOVE the Triton. Readers of this forum have heard me fawn over this machine on numerous occasions. I didn't lauch this post because I want MORE MORE MORE, but because the current product is so brilliant, I'm wondering what they can possibly do to make it BETTER. Some folks have offered some interesting ideas, and I appreciate that. But regardless of what Korg or anyone else comes out with, my Tritons will be part of my kit for a LONG LONG time. I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought they were "crap" and I would CERTAINLY not classify them as peers to buggy Microsoft products. :)

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: dansouth@yahoo.com ]

Empress, methinks the cold weather up there in Canada is giving you cabin fever. Wasn't it you who recently encouraged us to dream about future synths?

Why doncha lighten up a bit? :D;)

This is mostly a "guy and his machines" thing. Not much different than reading car mags and trying to speculate whether or not Chevy will actually build the SSR or when Harley will release the V-Rod.

I own several Korg synths, including my beloved Triton, so I'll admit to being a Korg fan. Not because I'm being brainwashed or anything like that, but because I like them. I own/have owned synths from Yamaha, Kurzweil, Alesis, Oberheim, Sequential, and ARP. So it's not like I'm really biased. It's just fun to speculate sometimes. :)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

What I would like to see in future Korgs.

* - More knobs and sliders for live sound control.

* - More presets. A fully loaded Karma with 2 expansion boards and the MOSS board has a total of 8 banks of 128 presets? That includes the user memory, GM bank and the drum kits. WOW. Big deal.

* - More user memory. Korg is the WORST for this.

* - An easy way to swap single programs.

Many synths have the same problem with patch memory. The early Roland expansion cards for JV's have 256 patches each. With the new SRV cards you are lucky to get 128. The drum and piano cards don't have half that. They need to take a look at Emu. While each Triton expansion card has 128 patches, most Emu P2K expantion cards have 512.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Triton is as expensive as a computer.

It means that Tritron can have functions of computer.

So, I hope Tritron use external hard drive instead of RAM.

It will be like portable gigastudio.

I really want to have a keyboard which can read samples directly from ext. hard drive; or I'm gonna make it myself in the future, a far future.

S K Y N A R E

What I would like to see is the current Triton with:

-256 polyphony

-color screen :)

-20 insert effects at once

-16 programs available to a combination at once

-The SCSI port moved 2 inches to the left, so it's not blocked by my apex stand

*hahahahahahaaa* (Cheerful bursts of laughter)

You guys are great! A good cowd of easy-going synth-heads/keyboardists. I love it!

I guess if there can be Korg enthusiasts -- there just as well should be some Fantom ones too no? *giggles*

Yes I have recently encouraged all of us to dream up the perfect synth and I would like to say on top of that -- that I am hearing you out guy! Absolutely so!

:)

Right on Carlo! Made my day.

And 'dansouth' -- I hear ya too, it would be fun if you lived near me, if we swapped synths for a day (while visiting over tea or sumfin) and really really appreciate the brilliance of them all for just a moment. Like the olympics or woodstock, just swap synths for a day and appreciate the variety out there. Yes -- that is a good note to end at for the new and coming year!!

cheers to all, for a bestest one yet!

:D

www.mp3.com/just_vi_an

enjoy!!!

It would certainly be nice to see Korg do something more with OASYS technology. There's been a creative void in their product line since the departure of the Z1, thought the MS2000 seems to be holding its own little niche just fine.

How about a keyboard with the functionality of all four Electribes fully integrated?

The empress has a point. Imagine if korg released an oasys synth, but with dsp more like a maxed out kyma system...

And with a pepped up synthkit so any idiot could start designing synths. And of course this would come with even MORE sample waves. Imagine it as a contraption similar in construction to a nord modular rack, except with a firewire out.

Me thinks that would be "game over".

You could bring that with the laptop of choice to gigs, os 10 seeming rather stable once developers adapt and in the studio it would be handy just as well.

That is...you'd be getting a whole product line in one product, wich seems like it would be their worst nightmare.

And of course something like that wouldnt have the sound compromises that some softsynths have so... hmmm...

Originally posted by mr. rob:

The empress has a point. Imagine if korg released an oasys synth, but with dsp more like a maxed out kyma system...

And with a pepped up synthkit so any idiot could start designing synths. And of course this would come with even MORE sample waves. Imagine it as a contraption similar in construction to a nord modular rack, except with a firewire out.

Me thinks that would be "game over".

You could bring that with the laptop of choice to gigs, os 10 seeming rather stable once developers adapt and in the studio it would be handy just as well.

That is...you'd be getting a whole product line in one product, wich seems like it would be their worst nightmare.

And of course something like that wouldnt have the sound compromises that some softsynths have so... hmmm...

That's kind of what Oasys was supposed to be. I remember talking to the powers that be back in 1995,96 about the Oasys project. It was originally a very expensive synth with all the power of a Z-1 style modeling synth, ROM presets a la the Triton and effects and sample processing. Instead they opted to spin off technologies into products like the Wavedrum, Prophecy, and Z-1, and then eventually the PCI Oasys card.

Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Originally posted by Rabid:

* - More user memory. Korg is the WORST for this.

400 programs and 400 combis isn't enough for you? The only other synth that comes close is the K2x00 series, and you can't use all of those slots unless you buy the PRAM upgrade. The Triton racks come with EXTRA memory for expansion card programs, so you don't have to overwrite any of the original patches.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

400 programs and 400 combis isn't enough for you? The only other synth that comes close is the K2x00 series, and you can't use all of those slots unless you buy the PRAM upgrade.

Alesis QS series - 640 programs, 500 mixes (combis).

Actually, I can think of some synths that have way more programs than 400. The Proteus 2K has over 1000 programs. I think the XV5080 has over 1000 programs as well - 8 banks of 128, yes? Heck, my Wavestation SR has 550....

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

400 programs and 400 combis isn't enough for you? The only other synth that comes close is the K2x00 series, and you can't use all of those slots unless you buy the PRAM upgrade. The Triton racks come with EXTRA memory for expansion card programs, so you don't have to overwrite any of the original patches.

And how many people really have 400 patches that they use/could use/will use, let alone remember what they are.

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Alesis QS series - 640 programs, 500 mixes (combis).

Actually, I can think of some synths that have way more programs than 400. The Proteus 2K has over 1000 programs. I think the XV5080 has over 1000 programs as well - 8 banks of 128, yes? Heck, my Wavestation SR has 550....

dB

Dave, I was responding to a comment about USER memory, i.e. RAM locations for storing your own programs. The Wavestation SR has 150 RAM program slots IIRC, not 550. The rest are PRESETS. The Triton has 400 program RAM locations, meaning that you can store 400 of your OWN programs. I don't think there are many synths that can compete with that. My K2500R has 550, but without PRAM, you can't use them all without exhausting the available memory.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dave, I was responding to a comment about USER memory, i.e. RAM locations for storing your own programs.

Got it... I gotta learn to stop doing the forum late at night - I miss obvious stuff.

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

And how many people really have 400 patches that they use/could use/will use, let alone remember what they are.

Fully agreed. I never would. For live, one bank is usually more than enough for me, and I always store program sysex dumps when I'm working on tunes so I don't have to worry about overwriting custom programs in user memory.

dB

Hey Dave,

Have you had a chance to use the Proteus 2500 yet? If so, what's your take on it? We're just about to order one and i'd like your opinion on it. The toss-up has been between it and the XV 3080 and i've been told by just about everyone that the Proteus is a little deeper and more powerful. It's being used for pop/hip hop/ambient electronica type stuff. Thanks,

Cheers,

Shiver

Rule #2: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Originally posted by Shiver:

Hey Dave,

Have you had a chance to use the Proteus 2500 yet? If so, what's your take on it? We're just about to order one and i'd like your opinion on it. The toss-up has been between it and the XV 3080 and i've been told by just about everyone that the Proteus is a little deeper and more powerful. It's being used for pop/hip hop/ambient electronica type stuff

Haven't tried it yet, Shiv. However, I really liked the P2k, and I like the other Emu sound modules as well. For $999, I don't see how you can go wrong with the 2500.

I'll probably check it out at NAMM...

dB

400 programs and 400 combis isn't enough for you?

No. It's not. Especially on Korgs where extended user memory means deleting presents. Granted most presets are not usable but they are good starting points so I hate to remove so many. I can fill a sound bank with lead sounds alone. Then you add 2 banks of pads, special effects, instruments, drums, etc. Some of my sounds are saved multiple times on my keyboards with various control routings and settings. I may want a nice, slow lfo tied to the joystick on one version, and a fast, square wave for growle on the next patch. And with pads, just a tweek of the filter settings or attack can make a huge difference in a song but I don't want to go back to setting up sounds by turning knobs like I did in the old days. I want my sequencer to pull up a patch ready to play as needed for a specific song. There is just soooooo much you can do when programming patches for Korgs, and so little space to save them.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

Especially on Korgs where extended user memory means deleting presents. Granted most presets are not usable but they are good starting points so I hate to remove so many.... There is just soooooo much you can do when programming patches for Korgs, and so little space to save them.

Rab, you sound like a walking ad for an editor/librarian. :D

For someone as prolific at programming sounds as yourself, I doubt any manufacturer will include enough user memory to hold as many patches as you like to keep handy. I guess that's why synths have disc drives these days. ;)

Personally, I like to use multiple synths/modules. So it's pretty rare that I need more than a hundred or so in each synth. I don't have a problem with overwriting presets as long as I have the factory presets backed up. I can always dig them back up if I need them.

Or to put this in perspective; Remember when synths had 100, or maybe 128 programs? And if you wanted more, you had to deal with a cassette interface to store them? :eek:

Amazing how technology spoils us!

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Archived