Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC2R

H-BOMB

Anyone here familiar with it? Do you like it? Recommend it?

I have a Korg Triton and Trinity and wanted to get a box that had a killer acoustic piano sound, as well as some other nice "bread and butter" sounds. Should I look at the PC2R?

Does Kurzweil have a good reputation?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The PC2R has a lot of bang for the buck. Great piano samples and decent everything else. The Rhodes sounds have a lot of nice midrange detail, but IMHO lack body in the upper and lower registers. The DSP-based "KB3" organ mode is not as nice as the better dedicated B-3 clones, but could be great depending on your needs.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by H-BOMB!!!:

Does Kurzweil have a good reputation?

A good reputation in what regard? Reputation for build quality in a rack module is rarely an issue. There are still thousands of K2000 keyboards and racks in service so the shelf life of the ROM samples has been exceptional. It takes years before Kurzweil discontinues a product in the line, keeping comsumers from experiencing post-purchase dissonance (like you might get 6-9 months after buying a computer), or just weak R&D.

The PC2R would certainly be a nice compliment to your Korg sound pallette, as would be an E-mu Proteus 2000 or a Roland XV-3080. The Roland is a few hundred $$ more than those other modules, but you might like the Roland acoustic pianos better. Plus both the E-mu and Roland modules are expandable.

Thanks for the replies. I went to Sam Ash today and demoed the PC2R. I didn't really care for it, to be honest, but that's just me. I prefer the Yamaha Motif.

Thanks again for the replies!

H-Bomb,

I've seen your posts here and other forums. I'm curious. You claim to be comparing the PC2R against the Motif (keyboard). Did you play the PC2 or PC2X or only the rack? If you played the rack, what controller keyboard did you use.

The reason I ask is that the PC2 is incredibly dynamic. In most cases I've seen the PC2R hooked up to 49 key controllers that don't produce a very nice response. For people that play the PC2 keyboard, I highly suggest experimenting with different velocity curves to compliment your playing style and then you'll really here the PC2 shine!

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I played the PC2 and the PC2R. I didn't really care for the feel of the keyboard, and I was using a Roland XV-88 to control the PC2R. Is there something else that I should be looking for? I prefer spending $900 on a PC2R than $2000 on a Motif 7. To my ears, I liked the Motif piano better, although I really think that the Take 6 vocals on the PC2 are excellent. I had so much fun with those sounds!

Thanks for your input Mike.

Rick

Mike,

I will continue my research (I don't have the funds to pick up a Motif right now anyway). Maybe I just need to give the PC2 more time. I actually didn't really like the Motif when I first played it.

Archived