Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jam-Master-Jay [of Run-DMC] shot in the head!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't understand people. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Here are some excerpts I thought were interesting: "He was shot once in the head and was dead at the scene, said Detective Robert Price," "the shooter remained at large and police had no information on a motive." "We always knew rap was for everyone," Mizell said in a 2001 interview with MTV. "Anyone could rap over all kinds of music." "Mizell was married and had three children," "He was a great producer, a hard worker," Miller said. "He's a family man." "They're the pioneers in hip-hop," said fan Arlene Clark, 39. "Leslie Bell, 33, said the members of Run DMC often let local musicians record for free at their studio." "That was their decision, to stay here and give back to the community," "In 1986, the trio were outraged by the rise of fatal gang violence in the Los Angeles area. They called for a day of peace between warring street gangs."

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Another tragic loss. Senseless. My band opened for Run DMC the first time they played in Detroit. Less than 50 people even showed, hip-hop was too new even for the black people. My band wouldn't even stay to watch them because Run DMC didn't have a band. Just Jam Master Jay. I sat on a couch and had a long discussion with Russel Simmons. He was very enthusiastic and articulate. I had no idea that hip-hop would get so big. God bless the Jam Master.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

:cry: Man. He was so outspoken against violence in the rap game. Visionary turntablist, producer and artist. I know I'll miss 'em

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I can't lie. I heard about Jam Master Jay this morning while I was getting dressed and cried. When I was 14, there were only three bands I really gave a crap about: Minor Threat, Queen and Run DMC. If you ever saw Run DMC live, you know those guys were as tight as any band anywhere. Jay was the glue in that band. He was a real pioneer in hip-hop. He will be missed.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

[quote]Speechless. Rick [/quote]My exact sentiments. Prayers and condolences to his family. Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Man. I keep thinking about this, snippets of their songs in my head and stuff. I knew every line from their first four albums and spent countless hours jumping around my room as a kid rapping along to the records. Their stuff is just so... fun! Like KISS and AC/DC, iconic and bigger than life. His production on The Afros and The Famlee was really good too. I learned how to make hip-hop by sequencing Run-DMC tunes from scratch. -- Also...in doing a search last night, I found a news item from a couple weeks ago. About the Sugar Hill Records studio in New Jersey burning down, where all the oldest-school stuff was done.

Horrible, horrible, horrible. What a pioneer this guy was. What a talent. What an influence. I was going to write a typical Jeff sermon about the dichotomy of being immersed in a creative field based on sharing of ideas and feelings, counterbalanced with the violence that seems to pervade every aspect of the world. But I don't have it in me. R.I.P. :( - Jeff

RIP JMJ http://www.scratch.com My life would have turned out differently had I never had the good fortune of hearing the incredible music of Run DMC. Turntable as musical instrument - speaking as singing - color barriers broken - diplomats to the world uplifting souls and shakin asses. Two pieces of wax - Bob James "take me to the mardi gras" - and an 808 = Peter Piper. One of the livest most incredible experiments gone perfect ever..... Farewell You will be sorely missed. PS - Gratte - can you please change the subject title? I would like to honor the brilliance and warmth of a great fallen musician.

Major sad news. Got to see them during the Tougher Than Leather tour and was flush front against the stage. Great show. Highly memorable for me. One of my all time favorite acts. Tears come quite easily. "Ask who's the best, y'all should say, Run DMC and Jam Master Jay!" Eternal Peace My Brother
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Archived