Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking hard at buying Kurzweil K2600RS: Tech questions for Kurzweilites.

el biciclista

I have gotten some great help here on other threads regarding my Roland JV-2080, and I am getting close to taking the plunge and trying my hand at the Kurzweil K2600RS rack unit.

I have gotten some SUPER SUPER help from Kurzweil rep Mike Martin. I have bugged him unmercifully, and he has quickly and graciously responded every time. AMAZING customer focus. I thought I might give him a break and come here with a couple of questions:

1. I cannot get direct digital out from the K2600RS without adding the Digital Out/DMTi option, since the S/PDIF OUT goes thru internal D/A and A/D conversion. The DMTi is too expensive for me, so I would plan to use the analog mix out for now, and hope a lower cost Digital/DMTi option comes along later. So, the output would go thru one D/A conversion in the 2600, then A/D conversion in a Lucid AD9624 before entering the 01v or digi001. (Or alternatively, I could use the S/PDIF OUT with all conversion in the 2600). The 2600 analog mix OUT is supposedly MUCH better quality than the the 2500 analog out. Has anybody had any experience on the quality of the 2600 analog out or S/PDIF out, versus DMTi direct digital out?

2. Is this the right Plextor CD-ROM to get for the 2600:

Plextor PX-40TSE: 40x, external SCSI, $140 at ecost.com?

Thanks!

Mike

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Mike Martin has very tactfully informed that I got #1 wrong. I can in fact get a pure, unconverted digital pair out of the K2600RS if I buy only the DIO-26. I don't have to buy the DMTi to get this.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the wisdom of spending about $600 to get this output, versus using the analog pair out (which will go through D/A and then A/D before being recorded)?

Thanks!

Mike

Originally posted by el biciclista:

Does anybody have any thoughts on the wisdom of spending about $600 to get this output, versus using the analog pair out (which will go through D/A and then A/D before being recorded)?

It seems for this money you can get a generic good external a/d converter, which you can use for other synths as well.... Keyboard mag did a review for such a unit pretty recently, if you're curious I can try to dig it up... it had a few other tricks up its sleeve too. I have a k2000 and the output is very clean, as long as you turn the effects off (some of the reverbs are pretty noisy). Someone's going to have to twist my arm really hard for me to this upgrade on my k2k http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

You probably know this but it doesn't hurt to mention, since a lot of people don't seem to know it. You don't need the sampling option to play samples, only to actually sample an external source.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Does an 01V or Digi 001 have ADAT or DA-88 in? I was looking for a low cost means to use digital outs from my K2500RS to digital ins on my MOTU 2408 to save its analog ins for other equipment. The recommendation I got was an Alesis AI-3 which is also a lot lower cost that a DMTi.

As for a CD-ROM drive, I have a Glyph SCSI CD-ROM dedicated to my Kurzweil. I think you can get one for $199.

Well, I keep learning more about the 2600. I am really inclined toward the digital outs. However, it turns out that without the DMTi I will be forced to slave the entire system to the 48k clock output of the Kurzweil. The Kurzweil doesn't have a wordclock input:

http://www.sweetwater.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150

I am now at least looking at the option of the DMTi. If I could convince myself that I could live without the 01v (which is really only a monitor/router for me since I mix in ProTools), I could link the 2600 and digi001/ProTools/G4 directly with 8-in/8-out ADAT thru DMTi. I could somewhat justify the cost by giving the 01v to my son for his studio. I just don't know enough about the user interface and routing capabilities of the 2600 yet to know if this is workable for me. It would sure streamline my setup!

Any input on this option?

Thanks again!

Mike

Archived