Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transcription of "Shake your tail feather"

Mezzo

Does anybody have a transcription, or know where I can find a transcription of the rhodes-part in Ray Charles' "Shake your tail feather"? I've got the most of it by transcribing myself, but I need some help http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif with the intro where he's singing on the top of his own comping.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried doing a web search for a midi file? You'd be surprised. I've found some that were correct down to every note.

There's a few companies that sell 'professional' midi files, and those are usually quite good as well. Comtracks is one I know off, and I think you can download right of their website and pay for each song (a couple of bucks I think). I'm drawing a blank for the other ones, but I think I have a list somewhere at home. If you're interested let me know. Most of these places have web catalogues, so it's easy to find what you're looking for. Harmony central may have a listing, as well as synth zone, of these places.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Good suggestion......there is a program called Easybeat that will automatically search the web for a MIDI file, some of them are a bit off, but like Rod says many are good-- there is a demo version available out there somewhere. I found one for Gimme Shelter that laid out the cool guitar intro......there is no way I could have got the lick on my own.

Thanks guys, for your inputs!!

Actually what I'm looking for are not midi-files, rather the written sheet music. I need to know what mr Charles is doing on that rhodes. I've searched a little bit, and I've found a couple of good places, but unfortunately not with my requested tune.

Here's a goodie in German: http://muziek.leerlingen.com/

Also: http://www.pianobar.fr.st/

Originally posted by Mezzo:

Actually what I'm looking for are not midi-files, rather the written sheet music. ...

I assumed you knew this. You can print sheet music off the midi file with most sequencer programs. The formatting gets a little screwy, but it can be done. I've done it a few times before.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Rod CA:

I assumed you knew this. You can print sheet music off the midi file with most sequencer programs.

Yes I know that. But for the most, to my experience, you don't get the exact transcription from a midi-file.

I once was looking for a real piano transcription, not the arranged parts, of "New York state of mind" by Billy Joel. I found one where the piano part was extremely accurate. I kinda hoped to find something similar for the Tailfeather.

Originally posted by Mezzo:

I once was looking for a real piano transcription, not the arranged parts, of "New York state of mind" by Billy Joel. I found one where the piano part was extremely accurate.

oooh oooh! I have been hoping to find this midi file. I had it once, and lost it. Any chance you can e-mail it to me or send me a pointer on where to Download it? please? pretty please? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Thanks,

-Greg

Originally posted by b3fiend:

oooh oooh! I have been hoping to find this midi file. I had it once, and lost it. Any chance you can e-mail it to me or send me a pointer on where to Download it? please? pretty please? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Thanks,

-Greg

Hal Leonard publishes a book called "The Billy Joel Keyboard Book" which contains transcriptions of the parts he played on the CDs (it's part of their Keyboard Recorded Versions series). It has "New York State of Mind" on it. I bought it myself, and I found the transcriptions to be pretty darn accurate.

Originally posted by Postman:

Hal Leonard publishes a book called "The Billy Joel Keyboard Book" which contains transcriptions of the parts he played on the CDs (it's part of their Keyboard Recorded Versions series). It has "New York State of Mind" on it. I bought it myself, and I found the transcriptions to be pretty darn accurate.

Thanks postman, I will be hunting for this. Can you tell me the ISBN number on your copy, to make it easy to find?

Thanks,

-Gregg

Originally posted by b3fiend:

Thanks postman, I will be hunting for this. Can you tell me the ISBN number on your copy, to make it easy to find?

Thanks,

-Gregg

You can find it at barnesandnoble.com. It's called "The Billy Joel Keyboard Book : Authentic Transcriptions"

This message has been edited by Postman on 08-14-2001 at 01:10 PM

Archived