Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi files Love um or hate um ?

Dan O

Are midi files a good thing ? I recently used a midi sequence as a template in the studio . Real players performed along with a midi sequence until we had enough audio tracks . We backed out the sequence on the final cut ! Any other ideas ? How is everyone using midi sequences ? Dano
www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Umm.. I love them. Free alternative to buying sheet music http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Good way to learn new licks. Good place to get some drum patterns. Good resource for people who are in cover bands and need to learn songs quickly.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Not a big fan of Midi files myself, but maybe that's because GM soundsets are so weak, generally. I do know I have studied some midi files for some good programming tricks. That's cool.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I've had a lot of success using Twiddly Bits files. The guitars files are very interesting. They need a little tweaking, but I used a banjo picking pattern and a strumming pattern as the cornerstones of an all MIDI bluegrass-style jingle. Worth the $30.

Originally posted by mzeger:

I've had a lot of success using Twiddly Bits files. .

Same here. Worth the $30 per set. I got the general instruments one, and I really like the bass riffs. I'll probably get the one that has more of those.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Rod CA:

Same here. Worth the $30 per set. I got the general instruments one, and I really like the bass riffs. I'll probably get the one that has more of those.

That's the volume called "Bottoms Up" with all bass. There's another with funk riffs for various instruments that must have great bass licks. I have Programmers Toolkit (electronica/dance styles with cool gated synth effects), the 2 guitar volumes, and the Gen. Instruments Vol 1. Check their website (www.keyfax.com) for a deal on multiple volumes.

As far as technically, I am starting to hate midi - Its just too slow compared to data transmission standards currently available. It was also created so long ago that everything now has to rely on sysex to get things done beyond key-on/off and volume commands. Think about how easy it would be to replace the midi cables with plain old 10mbps cat5 ethernet...

As far as using midi, I LOVE it. Midi has enabled the songwriter to be a one-man band while composing. I can sit and twiddle with songs for MONTHS without having to annoy a drummer, bass player, or guitar player. You don't need to bring in the real musicians until you have settled down on what you want the song to be.

I also download MIDIs all the time to steal transcriptions of difficult passages, and to appreciate the songwriting abilities of others.

Midi has also transformed music. What would the 80's and 90's have been without sequenced music? Would Michael Jacksons Thriller have been created? Would Trent Reznor have his nine-inch-nails? What would the soundtrack to Beverly Hills Cop be since Axel F was sequenced?

Think about how many pop songs in the last 20 years were created with midi sequencing - it has had a drastic impact on popular music.

Midi is a Good Thing for music. It just needs a protocol facelift.

-Gregg

Thanks for the comments . I am a one man band . Occasionally I have a guitarist play as well . I use a high end arranger keyboard ( Ketron SD1 ) that has great sound and arrangements . The arrangements are great in helping with ideas for songs . The problem with arrangements is handling the " bridge " of a song . That is where a good midi sequence can help. I also do full vocal harmonys with my keyboard as well . Thanks again . Dano
www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Archived