Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Unknown Keyboardist

Roto

I was just listening to a Jellyfish cd (good 90's Beatle-ish pop band) and noticed they had some nice synth parts in their songs. I always admired Faith No More for having a keyboard player play a predominant part in their sound, and that they made it work really well.

What bands can you name that have a great keyboard/piano player that just doesn't seem to get any credit? Another one that comes to mind that I read once in here before was Little Feat. I don't know any of these guys' names without looking at the liner notes.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little Feat keyboards is Bill Payne.

Nicky Hopkins from the Stones.......Chuck Leavell also of the Stones.

New Orleans is loaded with keyboard players. Starting with Henry Butler, Eddie Bo, David Torkanowsky, Marcia Ball, Davell Crawford, Art Neville, Dr John and many many more.

I have been a big "Southern Rock" fan for the last 20 years or so. I always have thought that Gregg Allman is a great, tasteful keyboard player whose Hammond playing has always been a key sound of the Allman Brothers----yet he is often overlooked or worse,-mocked--for his playing. He uses the B-3 sounds and drawbars to great effect throughout each song. Another often overlooked keyboard player is Taz DiGregorio from the Charlie Daniels Band....great chops, unnoticed. Billy Powell from Lynyrd Skynrd is an outstanding piano player, but the new LS records tend to bury him in the mix.

There a band about 15 years ago called "The Truth" who had a kickin' Hammond player--don't know his name though. Also keyboard players for The Radiators are great tooo--but again--don't know their names.

I've been out of keyboard music for some time (as the above post shows)--what are some good keyboard oriented bands out there to listen to these days?

This is a great board. Glad I've found it!

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

Exactly what I was looking for, I didn't even know Greg Allman played anything but guitar. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Current keyboard oriented bands? I don't think I know of any, which is kinda why I brought this topic up. The ones I named (Jellyfish & Faith No More) aren't very old, but they aren't together anymore either. Jellyfish didn't even use a keyboard on all of their songs, but I liked it when they did. I was listening to some Jerry Harrison today. It made me wish Talking Heads were still together.

Archived